How seriously do you take football?

Bench warmer 84

Country bogan
Jul 15, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
When I was a kid I used to chuck the shits and go out side kick the footy to myself. Now I watch whole game when they losing call em weak as piss and other names. But half hour later all happy again

I name my dog Milne and I refuse to wash him.

That way when we lose I didn't feel bad about kicking the s**t out of Milne the dirty dog

That's how serious I take football

I know it's a joke, but I take hurting dogs far more seriously than I do football.

Consider yourself warned.

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not so seriously any more. Used to yell and scream my lungs out during games but just dont care so much. Nothing to do with the state of the game or any bs like that. More to do with feeling like ive seen the best Eagles teams ever during the 90's and 00's. Similar to cricket. After experiencing a golden era of Warne, Gilchrist, McGrath, Ponting, Waugh, Clarke, Hayden, Langer, Lee, etc its hard to get excited about the next batch coming through when you know you've probably seen the best Australian cricket team in your lifetime retire.

Im not sure if the Eagles will ever be able to beat the 90's of Matera, Kemp, Sumich, Heady, Worsfold, Jackovich or the 00's of Cousins, Judd, Kerr, Cox, Glass, Waters, Embley, Wirrpanda, Chick. I miss the old days :(
This is the same reason Richmond have 100k members, a large % of their supporter base had never seen them win a prelim yet alone a flag, having a good team is something new to them, the other big clubs have been there, done that.

Myself, nothing will surpass 1990.

WCEbrody

Premiership Player
May 17, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea,Chicago Bulls
During the actual games i'm a mess, but outside of those 2-3 hours i don't really think about West Coast or AFL to be completely honest. Outside of posting on bigfooty every now and then.

As a kid it fully consumed me though.

mehow2g

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I watch sports in general to see individual brilliance and mentality of teams that play.

I can't get behind something that is no longer local, half our players are interstate players, the AFL is a business nothing more really.

Sep 19, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Chiefs
As a kid I always cried over finals losses, was a spoilt child. I remember the 2005 prelim vs West Coast at the Crows Shed (now its something else), the Eagles kicked away in the 3rd. I threw a tantrum and refused to watch the 4th quarter, luckily for me they had mario party at the shed. I hogged it for the 4th quarter, didn't care if anyone else wanted to play.

Now I don't care much, only go to games if my cousin gives me his pass. Bit fed up with Adelaides administration so lost interest. Love finals though regardless if Adelaide is in it or not.

BlueandGoldforever

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Since I have become a father, my interest and the seriousness which I take the sport, has dropped considerably.

I still get very annoyed when we lose, and that anger stays with me longer than the joy of a win, which is strange.

But the AFL are running the game into the ground and don’t really care about the fans or its heritage. It is now all about money.

So, my interest has waned somewhat and will continue to do so with unnecessary rule changes next year, incompetent fixturing, woeful umpiring, immature and unethical media combined with enjoying other things in life.

RAPPA

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 20, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
My brother was told to choose between religion and football for his first born. He chose football. The poor girl has no choice. She is a Carlton supporter. As a parent, to inflict such misery on their child is evidence of the power of football.

Aug 21, 2007
Tough as Nuts
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Collingwood, East Side Hawks
Not as seriously as a lot of people. I might initially get annoyed and want to throw something or someone through the window when we lose, but I'm usually over it in a day or two and looking forward to the next game (or after this weekend looking forward to next season). I feel great when we win, but that feeling also doesn't last more than a day or two.

T G M

Senior List
Jul 19, 2018
Caroline Springs
AFL Club
Geelong
I love football but have never supported any one team. As a kid I loved Robbie Flower. When he retired I followed Gary Ablett Snr. Then it was Robert Harvey, James Hird and a few others.
Now it is Gary Ablett jnr. Followed him to from Cats to GC and back to Cats.
I never mind who wins or loses a game and am far more interested in watching the greats. I always buy a membership to the team of the player I am following though.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Growing up as a kid, I was as passionate as they come. I still am, although that same level of intensity isn't there like it was for most of my life. I remember when Geelong lost, it was if someone had died at my household. It literally felt like do or die, man my dad was a basket case looking back at it. I still am fanatical, love the game, get pissed off if there are dubious calls or the umps influence the outcome. But now I'm far more philosophical and mature about losses. After all, it is just a game. Probably comes with growing up too, you don't give a s**t. You put things into perspective. The Last 10-15 years I changed my attitude, and certainly the last 2-3 I just enjoy it more and more for the spectacle and enjoyment aspect. I still watch a lot of games and in many respects am more patriotic, I'm not going to act like I'm at a ******* funeral should Geelong lose though. Which as a kid, sure as hell felt like I was at one.
Yeah nah I'm full of s**t. I get more intense with each passing year.I rarely miss any game, and once the finals rolled around appreciated it and enjoyed it more than ever, despite getting bowled out in week 1.

I'm ******* obsessed with the AFL.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
^^^^More intense with the game itself and following it. Losses still don't affect me the way they used to.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
******* love it. I mean I’m on here & it’s November?

Watch every match, have since I was 10 in 04.
That was a great year. You guys emerged as a powerhouse contender and we saw the rise of Fraser Gehrig.The Sainters won their opening 10 matches in 2004. Melbourne had their turn for a bit and destroyed you guys in a big encounter, Geelong rose, Port and Lions were there in the end.

Good year for the footy.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Won't go watch my team play so I can switch channels in between goals and breaks to watch the other game on Fox Footy.

Yeah. Not that serious.

Back