How seriously do you take football?

__Nantes__

Team Captain
Feb 28, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Enjoy talking about footy and watching footy very much.

In terms of seriousness, when I was young a loss would make the weekend/Monday at school disappointing compared to the high you got after a win.

I've found since becoming an adult I don't get the thrill after a win but couldn't care less after a loss. I guess that's perspective in life.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
More and more into it every year but don't take the losses as bad as I used to.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Not so seriously any more. Used to yell and scream my lungs out during games but just dont care so much. Nothing to do with the state of the game or any bs like that. More to do with feeling like ive seen the best Eagles teams ever during the 90's and 00's. Similar to cricket. After experiencing a golden era of Warne, Gilchrist, McGrath, Ponting, Waugh, Clarke, Hayden, Langer, Lee, etc its hard to get excited about the next batch coming through when you know you've probably seen the best Australian cricket team in your lifetime retire.

Im not sure if the Eagles will ever be able to beat the 90's of Matera, Kemp, Sumich, Heady, Worsfold, Jackovich or the 00's of Cousins, Judd, Kerr, Cox, Glass, Waters, Embley, Wirrpanda, Chick. I miss the old days :(
LOL!!!!!

Well a premiership wasn't bad now was it!

Spuddigger

Senior List
Oct 19, 2018
Australind WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur.
I do but do the AFL? I mean with a player climbing the post while a guy setting up to take a shot , with international sports followers wondering what the hell is going, they must think it,s a tactic. They,ed be asking , why doesn,t he have step ladder?

T G M

Senior List
Jul 19, 2018
Caroline Springs
AFL Club
Geelong
I thoroughly love AFL football. It is my favourite thing in life (after my family) I do not follow a team and have always followed players, since 2007 it has been Gary Ablett junior. In the past; Robert Harvey, James Hird, Gary Ablett Senior, Malcolm Blight and Robbie Flower. I genuinely do not care who wins the game, would rather see a great player than a team performance. I love football but do not take it seriously at all, it is just a game.

Jul 16, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MUFC, Storm, Rebels
I used to, back in the days when it was an actual sport. Now I just treat it as the joke it has become.
It's WWE now. Should be AFE instead as they've demonstrated many times, they'll put money ahead of integrity.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I'm not into it as much as I used to be. My interest actually started dropping off early this decade, so much so that I wasn't even in the country for the 2012 Grand Final. The threepeat was great obviously but on a week to week basis I used to read up on all the footy news not just for Hawthorn but all footy news.

These days I just get annoyed watching footy although I've started watching it on mute with music on instead which is way better. Up until about 2011 I would hardly miss a Hawthorn game in Melbourne, now I go to a handful of games a year and didn't even go to our finals matches in the last couple of years.

The rule changes have killed my love of the game, low scoring doesn't bother me but the inconsistency of calls and the AFL rarely saying a rule change has backfired or saying a call was wrong just frustrates the hell out of me. I'd rather not get frustrated watching a game I once loved.

Supercoach keeps me half interested and I always keep up with whats going on at Hawthorn but my care factor and taking the game seriously is pretty much non existent nowadays.

Even when I was extremely into it, a win or a loss would never really have an effect on my mood. I'd often get comments from the people I go to games with that they couldn't understand why I was so blase when we lost. It's always just been a game to me, win or loss.

kid_a

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2010
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, East Freo, Glory
Pretty seriously, try my hardest to watch every Eagles game live. Even when I lived in Sweden for two years, and if I cant watch it then I listen to the radio commentary via the app. When I was younger I was beyond ridiculous, used to almost make or break a weekend, I guess moving around the country in my early teens with my family sort of made my brother and I even more focused on the Eagles as it was the one constant in our lives.

Now days I still get annoyed very much at losses and very relieved at wins, but Im much more reserved in my expression of these.
In saying that I was waltzing around Gothenburg fully clad in blue and gold after last year GF and hitting the beers pretty hard, dragged some of my Swedish friends once they'd woken up to the local Aussie bar to watch the replay, as the live game was on at 6am and It was just I at my house watching with early morning beers :D

WestCoastLeagle

Debutant
Mar 28, 2012
Scabs
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New York Rangers
I never played footy growing up. I've supported West Coast since '87 when I was in year one but s**t only started getting serious for me about 5 years ago. Before that, I had only ever been to two AFL games. Probably had something to do with being a climate refugee from Scotland with an English (bastards!) father...

My first game was one of the early jacket waving games against Essendon at Subiaco Oval in Round 9, 1997. This was back in the days before Subi was an all seater stadium and me and the old man were in standing room. He had to hold me up so I could see what was going on. Which probably looked a bit weird given I was 16 years old...

I remember seeing Glen Jacovich in the flesh for the first time and thinking "he's twice the size of everyone else." It was a great game. Chris Lewis got reported twice for "Gaffing" two Essendon players and the Eagles got up by 25 points. Lewie "Suarez" got 7 weeks at the tribunal. What a champ.

I went to one of the last games at the the WACA in Round 4, 2000 when Scotty Cummings kicked 14 goals against a woeful Crows side who were absolutely pumped by the tune of 114 points. My then girlfriend was bored by half time and suggested that we drive her old man's car up to Kings Park and have sex instead. Whilst I may have lacked Scotty Cummings' accuracy that night, I hold my head knowing my performance in the back of that green Berlina was not as sloppy as the Crows were that night.

I didn't go to another game for over 12 years because I was too busy going to raves and getting ****ed up. Every now then I'd watch a game at the end of a three day bender. If I wasn't getting higher than a giraffe in Jamaica I was working on cars.

I started taking footy more seriously when the kids started to arrive and my career meant I was spending more and more time at work. I was forced to give up partying and start acting like an adult. Had to sell my sports cars and buy something more 'practical'.

Around this time my younger sister moved to Melbourne and started going to games. Then my old house mate moved there and started doing the same thing.

I went to the 2015 and 2018 grand finals and go to 3 games a year on average.

I've come to realise that footy has slowly replaced all the other forms escapism that middle aged blokes are not supposed to indulge in anymore. It's a welcome distraction from the misery of modern life until the day finally comes when the kids can * right off out of my house and I can go to Glastonbury, take acid and dance around naked as the day I was born.

Until then, UP THE ******* COASTERS!

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Used to take it pretty seriously watching a lot of neutral games. Since the flag I've cared much less about what other teams are doing and the losses don't sting as much.

caspian

Team Captain
Jan 6, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
The losses sting worse when we’re in contention, and the games are much harder to watch. It doesn’t ruin my week when we lose but it definitely casts a shadow on everything.

I don’t really enjoy watching games. Just sit there stressed out biting my nails to bits for three hours even when we’re 5 goals up. Prefer watching neutral games tbh

So I guess I do take it rather seriously!

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I never played footy growing up. I've supported West Coast since '87 when I was in year one but s**t only started getting serious for me about 5 years ago. Before that, I had only ever been to two AFL games. Probably had something to do with being a climate refugee from Scotland with an English (bastards!) father...

My first game was one of the early jacket waving games against Essendon at Subiaco Oval in Round 9, 1997. This was back in the days before Subi was an all seater stadium and me and the old man were in standing room. He had to hold me up so I could see what was going on. Which probably looked a bit weird given I was 16 years old...

I remember seeing Glen Jacovich in the flesh for the first time and thinking "he's twice the size of everyone else." It was a great game. Chris Lewis got reported twice for "Gaffing" two Essendon players and the Eagles got up by 25 points. Lewie "Suarez" got 7 weeks at the tribunal. What a champ.

I went to one of the last games at the the WACA in Round 4, 2000 when Scotty Cummings kicked 14 goals against a woeful Crows side who were absolutely pumped by the tune of 114 points. My then girlfriend was bored by half time and suggested that we drive her old man's car up to Kings Park and have sex instead. Whilst I may have lacked Scotty Cummings' accuracy that night, I hold my head knowing my performance in the back of that green Berlina was not as sloppy as the Crows were that night.

I didn't go to another game for over 12 years because I was too busy going to raves and getting f’ed up. Every now then I'd watch a game at the end of a three day bender. If I wasn't getting higher than a giraffe in Jamaica I was working on cars.

I started taking footy more seriously when the kids started to arrive and my career meant I was spending more and more time at work. I was forced to give up partying and start acting like an adult. Had to sell my sports cars and buy something more 'practical'.

Around this time my younger sister moved to Melbourne and started going to games. Then my old house mate moved there and started doing the same thing.

I went to the 2015 and 2018 grand finals and go to 3 games a year on average.

I've come to realise that footy has slowly replaced all the other forms escapism that middle aged blokes are not supposed to indulge in anymore. It's a welcome distraction from the misery of modern life until the day finally comes when the kids can fu** right off out of my house and I can go to Glastonbury, take acid and dance around naked as the day I was born.

Until then, UP THE ******* COASTERS!
That's a *en good post!!!!!!!!!!!

BIRDBRAIN

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I think I like talking about footy more than I like actually watching it these days. The standard of the 'product' is so poor now I don't really watch any neutral games, just force myself through the Eagles games really just to see the result.

Having said that things do seem to always get better in the latter stages of the season. The umpires conveniently forget all the stupid rules that were forced into the game in recent years and it becomes more like footy again. The finals are usually always well umpired and they let the players play.

Back