Analysis How soon do you know a player is good/bad?

Remove this Banner Ad

For me, I am looking for a sign that something I value in a player points to elite.

So one or more of:
  • courage
  • ball handling (in the air or on the ground)
  • disposal
  • physical intent
If I see one of those things, I'm willing to wait and see ... no matter when they show it.

Examples:
  • Atkins - ball handling, disposal
  • Brad Crouch - courage, ball handling, physical intent
  • Matt Crouch - courage, ball handling, physical intent
  • Hampton - ball handling, disposal, physical intent
  • Kelly - courage, physical intent
  • Knight - courage, physical intent, disposal
  • Laird - courage, ball handling, disposal, physical intent
  • Lever - courage, ball handling, disposal, physical intent
  • McGovern - courage, ball handling, physical intent
  • Milera - ball handling, disposal
  • Wigg - courage, ball handling, disposal (apparently)
When I see these things coupled with a good tank, or elite pace ... then I think we have something special.

Ask Drummond ;)

21 years of age, biggest game of his career, has the best game of his career eclipsing the Brisbane game earlier in the year.

30 possessions and an amazing work-rate, he was phenomenal last night. You really had to be there to get an appreciation of how hard he worked. He was running up and down the wing all night, breaking free from the wings and making himself an option all night. Not only did win a lot of the footy but he had a couple of goal assists and his spoiling and smothering and blocking was all tremendous. It all comes back to work-rate though, he just never stopped running all night and gave us a link-man option in all 4 quarters.

You get the sense that he doesn’t realise how good he can be just yet. Wait until he develops his body, becomes a bit stronger as well as gets more confidence in himself. He was sensational last night; I was amazed at how well he stood up. He’s got the potential to be one of the truly damaging wingmen in the game. Runs all day and with his pace, vision and exceptional use of the ball he’s going to be an awesome player over many years for the AFC. Seeing his reaction in the rooms after the game was hard to watch, he put it all out there and had the best game of his career. Pick 48, what an absolute bargain. Well done D-Mac, you’re a superstar in the making and last night was only the beginning. :thumbsu: Can't wait to see him in 2010.

Lots of variables along the way. Just being 'good' isn't enough.

Take our last two seasons - very few injuries, team winning matches, low number of players used, coaches emphasise merits of a stable line up.

If we'd had the same list of players but lots of injuries, resulting in losing more matches then players currently on the fringes would be getting AFL games. They'd be no better or worse players than they are now but their career prospects and rating would look a lot better.

Sometimes it's obvious early, other times you have to wait. As for Milera, I still think the jury is very much out on him at the moment.

I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't starting to become slightly concerned about his development as a player. To me he is looking more like he's going to be the next Danyle Pearce rather than the next Andrew McLeod.

I'd say yes on both counts, would love to get my hands on the infamous DVD

I remember that week well, was in Melbourne for a training course and Melbourne were getting smashed in the media, mate back home said you don't want to see what Craig came out with today. Found out about it and put money on Melbourne to win, they smashed us and it was clear as day why it happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember that week well, was in Melbourne for a training course and Melbourne were getting smashed in the media, mate back home said you don't want to see what Craig came out with today. Found out about it and put money on Melbourne to win, they smashed us and it was clear as day why it happened.
I'd say yes on both counts, would love to get my hands on the infamous DVD
What is this about? I feel like I completely missed this.

Sometimes it's obvious early, other times you have to wait. As for Milera, I still think the jury is very much out on him at the moment.

I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't starting to become slightly concerned about his development as a player. To me he is looking more like he's going to be the next Danyle Pearce rather than the next Andrew McLeod.
Agreed, very hard to get a true read on Milera. So many factors to consider:
- Looks great with ball in hand and disposal/decision making is excellent.
- Not getting quite enough possessions in a match to make enough impact.
- Lacks some physical pressure a lot (not always).

Then the questions about this:
- Is it because he's young still without a big enough tank therefore laying heaps of tackles is too draining on him?
- Is lack of possession partly because of his expected role in the side overall?
- Are we just expecting too much because some of our top picks in recent times really did come in just go from the start eg Lever, Talia

Pretty hard to determine at the moment, I'd say plenty of the factors above are elements of where he's at. Mostly I think the clubs done the right thing, we got a bunch of games into him last year, got even more into him this year though I do think at present we need to give him a rest for atleast a week & get Seedsman in and go from there. Definitely think he can make it but next year after another preseason we should know for sure.

I agree that its subjective. You dont know a player is going to be good until he is. But before then you want to see patches of what you expect to see from him as an end product. Then you expect to start developing consistency. There are some players that you don't notice along the way and then all of a sudden you notice those qualities that make you think he might be really good one day. Kelly is one of those for me. If he was showing this much promise in his early days, we would have massive expectations for him. Why can't we have the same expectations for him now even though he has been on the list for some time? The answer is probably that it rarely happens that a late developer becomes really good. But I don't think you can discount anybody. And you don't know for sure until they are. I think what we see from Milera and Gov are potential to be elite. Not just A-graders. Their best qualities are extremely rare. Somebody like Cameron could also be anything, but they are not traditional weapons that we sort of intuitively can relate to other past players where we sort of know its special when we see it. With Cameron I see something and I know its special, but I don't really know why. Its my limited view where I can't really see what type of player he can develop into, other than just doing what he is already doing, over and over again. But I do think that Cameron would be seriously special if he can get himself doing what he does best at will.

One thing that you have to be wary of are stat whores. There are players that can just find the footy, and thats a really important quality to have. But that alone won't determine if they can go to A-grade or elite levels. Its more important for me, of what they do with each and every decision they make and their execution. Its better to have those inexplicable qualities and then try to find the ball later, than the other way around in my opinion. But as Matt Crouch proves, the more you get the ball, the more chance you have to hone and fine tune your skills as you go. But I think Matt always had high quality decision making in him.

Who rated Kane Johnson and Tyson Stenglein early?
I rated Kane, after seeing him under Shaw.
I remember our recruiters had big opinions of Tyson, but the 'experts' thought we took him a bit early. (They interviewed him at the draft, and he said himself that he was surprised to be picked that early. He seemed to be on a slow burn, but kept getting better and better. I was pleasantly surprised that he performed so well in the midfield.

I feel so much better now. :(
We fail to get games into the youth when we have obvious spuds. 50 games to Mackay since Walsh
arrived???? FMD!
This might be true, if they were actually keeping quality youth out of the team. The reality is that the youth haven't been good enough to displace them, even when the senior players haven't been playing well.

If you think that Grigg, Lyons, or CEY should have been picked ahead of them, then cry me a river - because those were the options for a while there.

Still think Grigg could have been very good with the right handling ... we never utilized his strengths properly nor gave him a solid 12 week block .
Why ? because we were playing VB and Mackay over him .
Nah... He wasn't good enough to demand a position as an inside midfielder, and too slow to play as an outside midfielder. There just wasn't a position for him in the team, and VB/Mackay had nothing to do with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back