Analysis How soon do you know a player is good/bad?

Remove this Banner Ad

The dummy Milera put on Chaplin shows me he has what it takes. I am prepared to wait for it to fully blossom

I understand what you're getting at but using the ability to fake out Troy Chaplin as a measure of whether someone will be successful is risky business.

By this methodology my grandmother would tear this league apart (may she rest in peace).

I understand what you're getting at but using the ability to fake out Troy Chaplin as a measure of whether someone will be successful is risky business.

By this methodology my grandmother would tear this league apart (may she rest in peace).

It's more a first year, couple of game player had the ability and desire to make a fool of a veteran. Doesn't matter who the veteran is, the kid has it.

I have a 20 year old bottle of passion pop. I can assure you it's closer to vinegar than
Cristal.

Chaplin was god awful

Chaplin' skill level is completely, and utterly irrelevant to the play; he would be in that situation 99 out of 100 times and wouldn't look like a fool even at his level. What makes that play exciting is Milera had the belief (a better word for it then what I previously used) to make a fool of someone, and to do it at such a low game count shows that belief is a natural thing.

To pull that play off takes guts, because boy if you * it up you look terrible; guts and belief most AFL players will never have, or have any hope of obtaining.

A better demonstration of belief is the way milera consistently hits the most perfectly weighted medium range passes.

It takes absolute belief and courage to hit those in traffic.

The best kicks in our side can over or under kick those simply because the pressure to hit it perfectly makes them freeze. I've seen Atkins and Smith on numerous occasions this year absolutely fluff those ones.

It takes a certain amount of composure to be able to hit those and milera has that built in to him.

That to me is main reason why I think he will be an absolute gun.

As a point of comparison, after his fourth season Shaun burguyone averaged 13.8 disposals, 3.2 marks, 3.1 tackles and 0.7 goals a game.

Milera currently averages 15.6, 3.2, 2.3, 0.5.

I think people are being a little harsh on Wayne.
Admittedly Shaun was a back pocket in this time .

Robert Shirley and Michael doughty are too that slowly matured from early firm. I feel as though it took them both a while to define a role in the team . Doughty in particular became very important for a while there

I'm confident it's a body development thing with milera.

He is still a stick really and slightly intimidated physically still.

Once he gets the confidence and strength in his body I think you will see his true value.
You can see with another preseason or two he will be a unit.

Long arms and legs as well.

At his peak he will be.one of those guys who works well in heavy traffic. I see him in the Scott Pendlebury mould.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

because Grigg was not given the extra 10-20 games you thought he deserved he was miss handled badly.
I think alot of our younger players have suffered ... they are set different performance standards than older more experienced UNDERPERFORMING players who are part of the furniture . VB , Thommo , Mackay and Douglas have not been held accountable to poor form patches over many years . There are others as well . You need to identify which players will raise there game at the next level and give them a run , when you do you don't kill their confidence by dropping them after 1 week or 2 weeks no matter how they play and then sit them for 6 matches whilst others perform like s**t for said 6 matches .
It has stifled the growth of our elite young talent !! fro example Gallucci should have played 4-5 games at least this season .
CEY should have played last season when Thommo fell off a cliff for the second season in a row .
There are so many more examples of where selection has favoyred the favourite sons and not form lines .

CC is worrying for me. Maybe we can get something good for him this trade period, offer him up in a Gibbs or Zorko trade. Don't think he has the brain to match his talents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zorko would be perfect but i do not see Brisbane going for that one ... Chuck it out there though .

I think alot of our younger players have suffered ... they are set different performance standards than older more experienced UNDERPERFORMING players who are part of the furniture . VB , Thommo , Mackay and Douglas have not been held accountable to poor form patches over many years . There are others as well .
This is a fair criticism, probably the only argument you make with any validity.
You need to identify which players will raise there game at the next level and give them a run , when you do you don't kill their confidence by dropping them after 1 week or 2 weeks no matter how they play and then sit them for 6 matches whilst others perform like s**t for said 6 matches.
The club does identify which players will raise their game, and does a very good job of exposing them and giving them a run. Look at McGovern, Lever, Milera as recent examples. The coaches see these players every day at training - they know which players have talent, and which ones aren't going to make it. The fans don't see it until it happens on the field, but the coaches see it much, much earlier.

The players who get 1-2 games, and who are constantly in & out of the team, are fringe players - players who the club has identified as not having the talent to become high quality footballers. Grigg fits fairly and squarely in this category, as does CEY.
It has stifled the growth of our elite young talent !! fro example Gallucci should have played 4-5 games at least this season.
No elite young talent has been stifled. None, nada, zip, zilch. If they have potential to be elite, then they are invariably fast tracked.

The club is very, very good at developing our younger players. By his own admission, Gallucci has struggled with playing against the hardened bodies of fully grown men. He was given a 1-game "taster", against the weakest team in the competition. The club clearly has a development plan in place for him, and I think we'll see him getting more games next year. Given their outstanding record of player development, I think we need to trust their handling of Gallucci.

Patrick Dangerfield only played 2 AFL games in his first year. I don't think anyone would say that his development was stifled.
CEY should have played last season when Thommo fell off a cliff for the second season in a row .
There are so many more examples of where selection has favoyred the favourite sons and not form lines .
Dropping Thommo & selecting CEY are two very different issues. CEY just isn't good enough, and is fortunate to be on our team list in 2017. I agree that Thommo should have been dropped in 2017, but I do not agree that CEY should have played more than the 2 games he did.

Sometimes younger players aren't playing in the SANFL because they're being held back by older, out of form, senior players. Sometimes they're in the SANFL because they're just not good enough.

Yeah ok. But I'm thinking it be more of an indicator to compare Milera with someone who's predominantly played his position like say Polec.
Jared polec in his 4th season, 19.6, 3.1, 2.6, 0.7

The years before that were alot lower in all stats obviously, and all below milera current output.

Dropping Thommo & selecting CEY are two very different issues. CEY just isn't good enough, and is fortunate to be on our team list in 2017. I agree that Thommo should have been dropped in 2017, but I do not agree that CEY should have played more than the 2 games he did.
CEY is good enough to be depth. The kind of player that can have a spot on the list but ideally you don't need to play.
We're thin on decent mids, he would have played a fair number of games this year if it wasn't for the knee.

Which is more an indictment of our list rather than a statement about CEY.

CEY is good enough to be depth. The kind of player that can have a spot on the list but ideally you don't need to play.
We're thin on decent mids, he would have played a fair number of games this year if it wasn't for the knee.

Which is more an indictment of our list rather than a statement about CEY.
CEY is reasonable depth, but there's only so long that you can/should hang onto depth players if they're never going to improve beyond that point. At some point they go from being "depth" to being a "list clogger", a player whose list position would be better filled by a younger player with potential upside.

CEY's "use by" date has long since been reached and passed. Last year the club got rid of two list cloggers - Grigg & Lyons. CEY is very fortunate that they didn't make it three, saved by the stupidity of giving him a 2-year contract in October 2015.

I agree that his ongoing presence is an indictment on our list management, not on the player himself.

CEY is reasonable depth, but there's only so long that you can/should hang onto depth players if they're never going to improve beyond that point. At some point they go from being "depth" to being a "list clogger", a player whose list position would be better filled by a younger player with potential upside.

CEY's "use by" date has long since been reached and passed. Last year the club got rid of two list cloggers - Grigg & Lyons. CEY is very fortunate that they didn't make it three, saved by the stupidity of giving him a 2-year contract in October 2015.

I agree that his ongoing presence is an indictment on our list management, not on the player himself.

We're currently fielding an SANFL reserves side with practically no experienced midfielders whatsoever, other than a cooked Thompson. And it's not as though our injury list is that long.

I think keeping CEY was very much warranted. Hell, we probably would have been smart to rookie Grigg while we were at it, rather than go into the season with an empty hole on the rookie list.

Milera is not being played in the same position as he was as a jr. He was playing an almost small forward role. Spent alot more time in the forward 50 and kicked alot more goals than he does now.

I said before its the small good things. I saw some good small things from Alex Keath to suggest he will be OK. His composure in the last quarter was good. Didn't let the umpire ruffle him and learnt IE turned his body in the contest after giving a free earlier.

Star? I don't know but I do know he won't be a spud

Remove this Banner Ad

Back