Opinion How State of Origin could now work?

Remove this Banner Ad

UseR2006

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
With the introduction of the Devils and the awful jumper they will ride in on and the discussion going on in the Oppo thread I had a thought on how State of Origin could finally work without interrupting the standard Home and away season or adding additional rounds.

We all know the AFL love their gimmick rounds.

What if we had a state of origin round.
So for example.

One year we have Sydney representing NSW, Brisbane Representing QLD, Tas is TAS, VIC is The Bulldogs (for giggles), and WA is West Coast.
So every year we rotate out the team representing.

Like Heritage round we switch out the Jumper and the Club represents the state.
This way your still playing for 4 points, no additional rounds needed, wont impact the preseason.
AFL gets a win saying State of Origin is back

The only downside would be Freo would be a rep team once every 2 years :sick:
Thoughts?

Sorry, but that is a horrible idea.
State of Origin should happen at the end of the season like the international rules used to be held.
Players and clubs can choose to be involved as they like.
There would usually very little protest from the clubs against international rules compared to state games that used to happen during the mid season bye.
Just 1 game per year, so each state (inc the Allies) would only play roughly once every few years.

Sorry, but that is a horrible idea.
State of Origin should happen at the end of the season like the international rules used to be held.
Players and clubs can choose to be involved as they like.
There would usually very little protest from the clubs against international rules compared to state games that used to happen during the mid season bye.
Just 1 game per year, so each state (inc the Allies) would only play roughly once every few years.
Oh I don't think it's a great idea so no offense taken.
Idea just came to me and thought i'd throw it out there.

Based on the NFL Pro Bowl, State of Origin weekend to take place in a bye weekend between Prelim Finals and Grand Final (in place of the stupid pre-finals bye).

Vics, WA, SA and Allies to play off, with matchups to change each year. (Maybe the two winners face each other the following year, I dunno).

Extended squads to be named at the end of the H&A season. Teams to be named after the prelims, with players who will be in the GF left out. Everyone in the squad gets some sort of memento, so if you miss because you’re in the Granny or you’re injured, you still get some recognition.

And both GF teams get an extra break so they’re cherry ripe going into the decider and there’s no arguing about one side getting 7 days and the other side only getting 6.

It won't work anymore because there's no incentive for it. It's basically a national competition of which we already have.

Other sports have a representative game that works (or kinda works) because it's 2 teams only. We don't have that, I mean we kinda have two rivalries - WA v Vic and SA v Vic. Already awkward.

Then there's the Allies concept, it's a bit of a wet fart. And already we're getting to convoluted territory.

So we simplified it and in the past 20 years there's been a couple of Vic vs the rest. They're fine for what they are, but who cares? Victorians get to wave their utensils and represent their state, everyone else kinda doesn't care.

It's a nice concept to have state of origin, but it's something that doesn't really work. It'd need some radical out of the box idea, which nobody would go for. Something like every 5 years we don't have an AFL season, we have a SOO season. Already people will shoot this down, as we'd have bugger all teams competing and massive blowouts. But take that as a starting point and try and work it out. It's like Kramer's bottle deposit scheme - crunch the numbers, drive yourself nuts when you can't make it work. Unless Newman comes along with a free mail truck.

What they should do is embrace it like the All-Australian team honours. Really make it official by naming an All-WA team, All-Victorian, All-SA etc. I think media outlets kinda do it here and there, but it's not really celebrated. And wrap it into one big awards night with the Brownlow, instead of that being a boring cringefest that is basically a players' windup for a meatplatter tradition that we masquerade as some sort of "night of nights". When really, it should be a proper awards show. Then, maybe after a few decades of these honours, people start going "wouldn't it be cool if these teams actually played each other?"

Then, maybe, it'll happen.

I don't think states rotating each year to play each other would work since we would have to wait for them to play each other each year which is too long.

What could work is a simple annual VIC vs All Stars game where top players from Victoria vs top players from other states like WA, SA, QLD, NSW, TAS, ACT and NT are all in the all stars team.

The game can take place the week before the GF during the GF bye with the best players in teams that are not in the GF. Since its on the GF bye players from losing prelim teams should have about week of rest like in the season so it shouldn't affect them as much although they could already be cooked or be more match ready. The team is selected mid week before the game.

That way we get to see the best players play against each other and the players themselves get to play one more high level footy even if their clubs are eliminated from finals or miss finals altogether.

only way state of origin works is if we somehow get rid of injuries so the clubs feel no risk in releasing their players

State of Origin is dead.

WA/SA folks really want State of Origin to be a thing. Victorians really don’t care about it at all.

It’s like a girl you’re head over heels about that just isn’t that into you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back