Analysis How tall is too tall? Charting our pathway to September.

Remove this Banner Ad

mcstay is listed as 196cm, id say that qualifies as genuine tall
every decent side like Port or Brisbane have as big or bigger then us.
McStay, AJ, Mihocek (not so big)
Cox and Cameron are all in our best 23.
Only other big bloke is Moore.
Many here have been over saying our big man department.
Frampton at best is good depth.

At this stage Cameron, Cox, Moore, Murphy, Howe and Mihocek would appear locks given all have featured immediately in the side when deemed fit and available.

I still believe McStay will also be considered a lock by McRae despite returning via the VFL unlike Howe, Cameron and Cox.

The pattern of selection throughout the season suggested it would be the case and with a full compliment of talls now available we get confirmation of what our preference is.

It's now up to the players concerned to justify the faith.

Round 19 vs Port Adelaide: Cameron, Cox, Howe, McStay, Mihocek, Moore, Murphy (7)

() No. of structural talls
*Wildcard tall.

Round 1 vs Geelong +22: Cameron, Cox, Howe, McStay, Mihocek, Moore, Murphy (7) + *McInnes 38% TOG
Round 2 vs Port Adelaide +71:
Cameron, Cox, Frampton, McStay, Mihocek, Moore, Murphy (7) + *McInnes 19% TOG
Round 3 vs Richmond +14:
Cameron, Frampton, Johnson, McStay, Mihocek, Moore, Murphy (7)
Round 4 vs Brisbane -33: Frampton, Johnson, McStay, Mihocek, Moore, Murphy (6) + *McInnes 42% TOG
Round 5 vs St Kilda +6:
Frampton, Johnson, McStay, Mihocek, Moore, Murphy (6) + *Wilson 48% TOG
Round 6 vs Essendon +13:
Frampton, Johnson, Kreuger, Mihocek, Moore, Ruscoe (6) + *Kelly 34% TOG
Round 7 vs Adelaide +1:
Frampton, Johnson, Kreuger, Mihocek, Moore, Murphy (6) + *Kelly 52% TOG
Round 8 vs Sydney +29:
Cox, Frampton, Johnson, Mihocek, Moore, Murphy (6)
Round 9 vs GWS +65: Cox, Johnson, Mihocek, Moore, Murphy (5) + *McInnes 24% TOG
Round 10 vs Carlton +28:
Cameron, Cox, Johnson, Mihocek, Moore, Murphy (6)
Round 11 vs North Melbourne +35: Cameron, Cox, Johnson, Mihocek, Moore, Murphy (6)
Round 12 vs West Coast +63: Cameron, Cox, Frampton, Johnson, Mihocek, Moore, Murphy (7)
Round 13 vs Melbourne -4: Cameron, Cox, Frampton, Johnson, Mihocek, Moore, Murphy (7) + *McInnes 78% TOG
Round 15 vs Adelaide +2:
Cameron, Cox, Howe, Johnson, Mihocek, Moore, Murphy (7)
Round 16 vs Gold Coast +78: Cameron, Cox, Frampton, Howe, Mihocek, Moore, Murphy (7)
Round 17 vs Western Bulldogs +12: Cameron, Cox, Frampton, Howe, Johnson, Moore, Murphy (7)
Round 18 vs Fremantle: Cox, Frampton, Howe, Johnson, McStay, Moore, Murphy (7)

With so much debate about how our side will structure up heading towards finals I thought I'd look back on our season to date and see if we can find an answer.

Injuries aside the first thing that stands out is that our 22 is almost certain to contain 7 talls I'd class as structural.

At this stage Cameron, Cox, Moore, Murphy, Howe and Mihocek would appear locks given all have featured immediately in the side when deemed fit and available.

I still believe McStay will also be considered a lock by McRae despite returning via the VFL unlike Howe, Cameron and Cox.

For those still dreaming of a three pronged tall forward line featuring Johnson, or Frampton as defensive insurance then the first 2 rounds of the season where a tall in McInnes was the substitute provides hope one of them could yet fit within the team of 23. With a full complement of talls available however I remain to be convinced either Frampton or Johnson will fit within the 22 if we continue with the Cameron/Cox combination.

P.S- Given we play Port in 2 weeks and a lot of people consider that our most complete performance of the season to date, it's interesting to note that Frampton played in that game with Howe out injured. While I'm not suggesting Frampton should replace Howe in the side I do wonder if we can afford to not have him in the team also with Dixon 200cm 110kg, Marshall 198cm 94kg and Finlayson 197cm 93kg (didn't play last time) to contend with. Dixon in particular is the type of beast we drafted him for.
Talls in finals are more important. Greater pressure on the ball carriers means dump kicks into 50, you need an aerial contest or contested/intercept markers.

I’d play Frampton as a 2nd ruck instead of Cameron.

For one… I think the difference between say Cameron at 2nd ruck and Frampton is marginal

More importantly… Losing Moore in a final would decimate the ability to hold the big name forwards.

Howe, Murphy, Maynard all punch above their weight… but they’ve also failed at times when taking on the big, premium forwards too

Mcstay and mihocek both started as backs and could feasibly play there… but that’s robbing Peter to pay Paul

Depending on opposition; my mix of talls would be:

Moore, Cox, Mcstay, Mihocek*, Frampton

Mihocek only 192cm but plays tall

With ‘mediums’ in Howe, Murphy, Maynard, Johnson

^ this way we have all bases and contingencies covered

I’d play Frampton as a 2nd ruck instead of Cameron.

For one… I think the difference between say Cameron at 2nd ruck and Frampton is marginal

More importantly… Losing Moore in a final would decimate the ability to hold the big name forwards.

Howe, Murphy, Maynard all punch above their weight… but they’ve also failed at times when taking on the big, premium forwards too

Mcstay and mihocek both started as backs and could feasibly play there… but that’s robbing Peter to pay Paul

Depending on opposition; my mix of talls would be:

Moore, Cox, Mcstay, Mihocek*, Frampton

Mihocek only 192cm but plays tall

With ‘mediums’ in Howe, Murphy, Maynard, Johnson

^ this way we have all bases and contingencies covered
Cameron is our first ruck. You ok?

Cox (height) v AJ (marking + silky skills) up forward is tough because they both have a point of difference. Cox is the better ruck which is why he gets the nod as 3rd tall forward rotating ruck.

Cox up forward makes defenders panic. His body work in packs has noticeably improved this season and he's kicked some nice goals averaging 1.3 per game and he's a great 2nd ruck.

AJ has sticky hands, smart forward craft and could get off the hook playing 3rd tall. Beautiful kick for goal. Averaging 1.5 goals per game. Not as good in ruck as Cox.

Talls in finals are more important. Greater pressure on the ball carriers means dump kicks into 50, you need an aerial contest or contested/intercept markers.
Yep Kennedy and Darling killed us in 2018 GF with Goldsack as 2nd tall defender.

I know we defend differently but when the opposition has multiple tall forwards, the 1st key forward seems to kick a bag on Moore and Murphy on the 2nd tall forward makes me nervous.

Let's see how we go between now and September!

Round 20 vs Hawthorn: Cameron, Howe, Johnson, McStay, Mihocek, Moore, Murphy (7)

First time for the season the Cameron/Cox combination hasn't been chosen when both were available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bump

Interestingly when we were ravaged with injuries to our talls, where we only played 5/6 talls between Round 4-11 we went on our winning run. Obviously losing McStay isn't ideal but it could be a blessing in disguise if we go in smaller on Saturday. I have more faith in Noble or Adams coming in doing a job than Frampton or Kreuger. I'd still rather play Howe down back but if need be at least there is an option to swing him forward if required

Round 4 vs Brisbane -33: Frampton, Johnson, McStay, Mihocek, Moore, Murphy (6) + *McInnes 42% TOG
Round 5 vs St Kilda +6:
Frampton, Johnson, McStay, Mihocek, Moore, Murphy (6) + *Wilson 48% TOG
Round 6 vs Essendon +13:
Frampton, Johnson, Kreuger, Mihocek, Moore, Ruscoe (6) + *Kelly 34% TOG
Round 7 vs Adelaide +1:
Frampton, Johnson, Kreuger, Mihocek, Moore, Murphy (6) + *Kelly 52% TOG
Round 8 vs Sydney +29:
Cox, Frampton, Johnson, Mihocek, Moore, Murphy (6)
Round 9 vs GWS +65: Cox, Johnson, Mihocek, Moore, Murphy (5) + *McInnes 24% TOG
Round 10 vs Carlton +28:
Cameron, Cox, Johnson, Mihocek, Moore, Murphy (6)
Round 11 vs North Melbourne +35: Cameron, Cox, Johnson, Mihocek, Moore, Murphy (6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back