How Tasmania can have a team by 2023.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
You've just described the self entitled mentality of those on the gravy train. A century of contribution has damaged the game here. The one way 'pathway' has finally had its effect.

Its not a self entitled mentality if its the damn competition you founded. If its a gravy train, then the fact that Or have been in for a hundred and fifty years as ACTUAL contributors to the competition, not living in some fairy land that means that because tasmania couldnt sustain elite players on their own and they left for greener pastures, Tasmania is automagically entitled to something that no one has ever been automatically entitled to.

You can quote all the 'historic' dribble you like. It doesn't change the facts of the damage to community football.

Im not even talking about community football, im talking about the entire BS argument that Tasmania is entitled to a team, and the BS sense of entitlement that Tasmanians have that they think theres a RIGHT to a team when such a right does not exist, and never has existed. I dont care what your arguments are regarding finances or support or the hawthorn-north robbing Tasmania stuff when it comes to an AFL team, because end of the day the AFL and its clubs have an actual defined right to decide who comes into their competition and on what terms. It has never been a given.

Should Tasmania get a team? probably. Can it sustain one? Probably, although i have my doubts. Does it deserve one? No. Is it entitled to one? Definitely not.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The 'production line' for the AFL is one thing, the health of the game at community level is another. Something you don't seem to get.

The production line TO the AFL IS the health of the game.

NSW, Qld and the North have taken up where Tasmania has dropped away.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Its not a self entitled mentality if its the damn competition you founded. If its a gravy train, then the fact that Or have been in for a hundred and fifty years as ACTUAL contributors to the competition, not living in some fairy land that means that because tasmania couldnt sustain elite players on their own and they left for greener pastures, Tasmania is automagically entitled to something that no one has ever been automatically entitled to.

Im not even talking about community football, im talking about the entire BS argument that Tasmania is entitled to a team, and the BS sense of entitlement that Tasmanians have that they think theres a RIGHT to a team when such a right does not exist, and never has existed. I dont care what your arguments are regarding finances or support or the hawthorn-north robbing Tasmania stuff when it comes to an AFL team, because end of the day the AFL and its clubs have an actual defined right to decide who comes into their competition and on what terms. It has never been a given.

Should Tasmania get a team? probably. Can it sustain one? Probably, although i have my doubts. Does it deserve one? No. Is it entitled to one? Definitely not.

If you bother to see what I've said over the journey, I certainly don't say deserved. I've said in an 18 team competition Tasmania should have a team in it. Less clubs, like 16 & I've said they'd struggle. I don't say deserved, but the politics of exclusion are blatant & unfair.
The question of the health of community football is different but not completely separate to having an AFL club in your area. Community footy is an affair of the AFL & they are failing that situation badly.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
"the politics of exclusion"

Where do you get this rubbish?

If you can't see the economic reasons for Tasmania being overlooked then you may as well find something else to do.

There is a massive "head in the sand" problem in the Apple Isle.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Where do you get this rubbish?

If you can't see the economic reasons for Tasmania being overlooked then you may as well find something else to do.

There is a massive "head in the sand" problem in the Apple Isle.

Theirs a very massive head up the arse problem for those with a vested interest in their own position.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Theirs a very massive head up the arse problem for those with a vested interest in their own position.

Simple question.

Do you acknowledge the economic issues facing a stand alone Tasmanian AFL team?

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Simple question.

Do you acknowledge the economic issues facing a stand alone Tasmanian AFL team?

You clearly haven't been following this issue over the journey. I've always said the finances/economics would always be important/vital & it probably wouldn't be easy. But doable according to those involved in the 2009 approach.

Firstly, most clubs have notable/serious financial issues. They all, inc the AFL rely on the largesse of the taxpayer. Quite a few, new & old, clubs go no where near paying their own way.

That said, the comments of Professor West's input into the discussion, made a positive of the one team for Tasmania ( Tasmanian named at the very least) position, & Saul Eslake who has written numerous pieces about our own team & had input into the 2009 'application' showed confidence regards the ability of Tasmania to support a team. Indeed he said the AFL argument on economic grounds was false. Demitriou had set a course without any consideration of Tasmania. That is really the AFL's politics right their.

The original Gemba report was done & supported the Tasmanian case. The report was protect in large part despite FOI applications. It was called a 'pragmatic & facts based' document by Gemba. Its a pity we couldn't get to see the report.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
That said, the comments of Professor West's input into the discussion, made a positive of the one team for Tasmania ( Tasmanian named at the very least) position, & Saul Eslake who has written numerous pieces about our own team & had input into the 2009 'application' showed confidence regards the ability of Tasmania to support a team. Indeed he said the AFL argument on economic grounds was false. Demitriou had set a course without any consideration of Tasmania. That is really the AFL's politics right their.

Do you finally have any data you can table?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
No, as said the report stays with the State Government & the AFL. Eslake could hardly publish stuff now 'owned' by someone else. Plenty of articles from Eslake & one in the Age describing the meeting with Demitriou really said it all.

I don't really care for tabloid quips, I am interested in the actual data that can't be presented on this occasion, so how you manage to come to any solid conclusion is puzzling.

These reports were dismissed by the AFL, so I can only assume that the findings were shaky as far as they were concerned.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't really care for tabloid quips, I am interested in the actual data that can't be presented on this occasion, so how you manage to come to any solid conclusion is puzzling.

These reports were dismissed by the AFL, so I can only assume that the findings were shaky as far as they were concerned.

You make that assumption based on what? The AFL had a clear agenda.

Despite the history of the GC & its lifestyle issues which tend not to include team professional sports. The 'economics' of GC are really shaky to date. What will it cost? For what benefit to AR & the AFL. They are two different considerations. I see GWS as being a whole different ball game. It has always been separate to the Coastal suburbs. GC supporters appeared to be Lions supporters.

Tasmania should be in an 18 team competition.

WA3 Tas1

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
You make that assumption based on what?

A thing called "evidence", or lack thereof. Look it up in the dictionary.

All I see from you is rhetoric founded upon tabloid drivel.

The AFL had a clear agenda.

To dismiss this brilliant Tasmanian proposal? Where? Show this "agenda" to me?

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
A thing called "evidence", or lack thereof. Look it up in the dictionary.

All I see from you is rhetoric founded upon tabloid drivel.

To dismiss this brilliant Tasmanian proposal? Where? Show this "agenda" to me?

Well what 'evidence' do you choose?. The AFL rebuke & saying very little. Certainly no refuting of the application.

Tabloid drivel quotes professional people. Do you know a quote is?

The behaviour of Demitriou shows that attitude. If those their lied, I'm sure Demitriou would have said so.

Even Fitzpatricks dribble about the North v South divide stopping an AFL club. Thats shyte. Like every state, supporters support the 'state' team. Local parochialism has never affected state teams support, in any state.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Well what 'evidence' do you choose?. The AFL rebuke & saying very little. Certainly no refuting of the application.

Tabloid drivel quotes professional people. Do you know a quote is?

The behaviour of Demitriou shows that attitude. If those their lied, I'm sure Demitriou would have said so.

Even Fitzpatricks dribble about the North v South divide stopping an AFL club. Thats shyte. Like every state, supporters support the 'state' team. Local parochialism has never affected state teams support, in any state.

Yet again, you provide nothing other than Tasmania tabled a report and the AFL dismissed it.

Big deal.

Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This is going on in Vic as well.
Afl clubs building training venues in partnership with local councils. All that happens is local government and local footy league funds that should be spread across facilities across the region get funneled into one ground that is used by the afl club. The grounds are rarely used by most local clubs and the running costs keep the drain on local funding going. North and Hawthorn playing there will do nothing for the local game but take money that should be staying in tassie.

The AFL having control of local Footy means there’s no one to fight for what’s best for local footy. They are a leech, sucking every dollar out that they can. It’s a disgrace.

Tassie just cant cope with it as much so the local game is showing the signs sooner. Vic is rooted as well. Most just don’t know it yet.

The AFL is basically a corporate vampire leech on our great sport, the VFL deciding whats best for everyone else.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/03/01/country-football-breakaway-nearer-by-the-day/

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yet again, you provide nothing other than Tasmania tabled a report and the AFL dismissed it.

Big deal.

Duh!

Well the sun comes up, & the sun goes down. Thats about your level of dialogue.

Its also about the same as your 'discussion' of Tasmanian football.

You dont know, don't want to know & still argue & make bland nondescript, useless points.

If you think its all that simple, don't waste your precious time over it all.

Go North, Just go F home.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Duh!

Well the sun comes up, & the sun goes down. Thats about your level of dialogue.

Its also about the same as your 'discussion' of Tasmanian football.

You dont know, don't want to know & still argue & make bland nondescript, useless points.

If you think its all that simple, don't waste your precious time over it all.

Go North, Just go F home.

Get back to me when you have something more than rhetoric

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Reply when you can engage in a discussion.

I am not interested in any discussion that doesn't contain a solid platform of verifiable facts.

I keep pushing you to present something but you always come up short.

HanYolo

Debutant
May 22, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I am not interested in any discussion that doesn't contain a solid platform of verifiable facts.

I keep pushing you to present something but you always come up short.

Really. This is a forum. People 'try' to discuss issues.

Most stuff on here is to a great extent, opinion based, with or without some 'facts' or reported quote & other information from fist & second hand participants.
Do you only engage when the verifiable facts' suit you? You don't have 'opinion'?

You must be a boring sod to have a beer with.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Really. This is a forum. People 'try' to discuss issues.

Most stuff on here is to a great extent, opinion based, with or without some 'facts' or reported quote & other information from fist & second hand participants.
Do you only engage when the verifiable facts' suit you? You don't have 'opinion'?

You must be a boring sod to have a beer with.

Stop focusing on me. I am not Tasmanian football. Post something more than "person X told the Herald Sun this and that", if you expect to be taken credibly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back