How Tasmania can have a team by 2023.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just dropped in and wanted to leave you all with something you probably already know!

25 yrs ago I went with my best mate to Queenstown for a holiday and I had a kick on the local oval. Wow they bread em hard over there and they can fight too!

If Tassie are introduced which they should! Have a team in the comp , then you better bring a good supply of body bags!

And how would that affect the point of this post, do you think?

A strange comment considering you seemed to think that this was somehow relevant to Tasmanian football:

I see the AFL may miss out on the $300mil gift from state government for Etihad. The Libs seem to be looking to spread the love the AFL haven't got, by proposing to invest the money in grass roots sport. ie the community. Amazing.

As for the relevance of my comment:

Meanwhile..............

Etihad Stadium: Tenant clubs could reaps millions in new gate receipt ...

THE AFL has finally opened its purse-strings in an Etihad Stadium gate receipts deal that could reap tenant clubs millions of dollars.

heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/north-melbourne/etiha

Google an economics text book.

A strange comment considering you seemed to think that this was somehow relevant to Tasmanian football:

As for the relevance of my comment:

Google an economics text book.

What has Etihad gate receipts got to do with anything I said?

Google economics text book? What are you on now? One is the Vic Libs push to spend money on community sport, not on handouts to the AFL. The other article you put up has nothing to do with that, good luck to the AFL giving more to clubs. That has SFA to do with anything I've said.

Between you & that other mod you waffle such riddles at time. Whatever happened to plain speak, like in a discussion?

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/o...n/news-story/6e60048fd76c069478952cbe7f3be7d4

IS Gillon McLachlan fiddling while Tassie footy burns? News of a grassroots footy club in suburban Hobart struggling to attract enough players to field a team is just another sign that the AFL chief needs to put the Apple Isle at the top of his to-do list.

The Brighton club in the SFL, a working-class team in a suburb with a high percentage of children, has said it will struggle to remain part of the competition with just 30 players turning up to training. It needs to more than double that number if it is to field three teams across seniors, reserves and a colts competition.

Brighton is a traditional football area. The club is 133 years old and now can’t find enough players to field two teams, let alone three.

It’s the sort of area which should be overrun by youngsters keen to pull on a jumper and chase a Sherrin.

Something is seriously wrong with grassroots footy if clubs like Brighton are struggling.

It follows the withdrawal of Burnie and Devonport from the TSL and back to regional competition, the lack of draftees in recent years and the now broken talent pathway on the North-West Coast.

It’s time Mr McLachlan booked his tickets and flew down to fulfil a promise to meet AFL Tasmania’s new boss Trisha Squires and to address the state’s football crisis head on.

Former North Melbourne player Nathan Grima, who was recruited from Launceston and is now a coach in a Melbourne suburban league, has joined the chorus of Tasmanian football greats urging the AFL to take action to help save Tassie footy.

Grima points out that in his team alone there are 12 AFL-listed players. You’d be lucky to find half that many playing in the entire TSL. He argues that the AFL should back incentives to attract AFL players to finish their playing days in Tasmania.

It is clear Tasmania cannot compete for players straight out of the AFL system. Grima’s league has a salary cap of $250,00 per club. TSL clubs have a cap of $95,000.

Tasmania struggles to keep its best young talent if interstate leagues make offers. The AFL has also ended the $15,000 interstate transfer fee to original clubs prior to last season, so TSL clubs get no reward for nurturing players who then head interstate.

Watching former AFL players in local competitions would give children heroes they can aspire to be like. It would also give local player and an incentive to stay in the TSL because they could test themselves against former AFL players. The experience of such players would also bring the latest coaching techniques and game plans straight out of the big league. Those players would also help attract crowds to bring in more money over bar and through canteens, making clubs and the league more viable.

There have been a lot of good ideas presented to resurrect grassroots football in this state.

It’s time Mr McLachlan showed some leadership and took action — to lock in a date and develop a plan to save Tassie footy.

Re:

"IS Gillon McLachlan fiddling while Tassie footy burns? News of a grassroots footy club in suburban Hobart struggling to attract enough players to field a team is just another sign that the AFL chief needs to put the Apple Isle at the top of his to-do list.

The Brighton club in the SFL, a working-class team in a suburb with a high percentage of children, has said it will struggle to remain part of the competition with just 30 players turning up to training. It needs to more than double that number if it is to field three teams across seniors, reserves and a colts competition."

I'd like to see someone that presents these articles, actually point out the reasoning behind these correlations.

From what I've been reading/hearing about the place with Brighton's case it's not to do with the AFL or a lack of footballers in the region, it's that they had a large exodus of players because a lot weren't happy with the appointment of ex-New Norfolk premiership coach, Matthew Smith this year.
Smith's coached a number of flags at New Norfolk (including last year) and has coached at Kingborough Tigers (Tigers FC) and was assistant coach at Glenorchy in the TSL in the past.
He's a very, very good football coach and played TFL with them for a number of years but unfortunately has a very polarising reputation. Some at New Norfolk loved him but a fair chunk of their supporters wouldn't have a bar of him and stayed away from the club.
Would be the only senior coach of a football club I've ever heard of that was banned from his club's own clubrooms even in a premiership year for repeated fighting.
As playing coach at New Norfolk in 2011, his onfield violence in the SFL grand final against Kingborough that year was probably the worst I've seen. And that reputation has followed him around.
New Norfolk had a similar exodus of players in 2016 when Smith returned to coach them after coaching in the TSL for some time but he coached them to a flag the following year.
It's my opinion that a lot of the players at Brighton were just comfortable in turning up to get a game and continue to be mediocre as they have been for many years and knew Smith wouldn't tolerate that, so they left.
Brighton hasn't had a very good reputation themselves over the past decade.
There's been a lot of rumours of unsavoury behaviour, drug problems and other issues involving that club in particular.
Last year an Under-18 game under lights at their Pontville Oval ground was almost abandoned at half time by the umpires because of the behaviour of several of their players parents trying to incite violence.
Certainly not the club they were 20 years ago.

Re:

"IS Gillon McLachlan fiddling while Tassie footy burns? News of a grassroots footy club in suburban Hobart struggling to attract enough players to field a team is just another sign that the AFL chief needs to put the Apple Isle at the top of his to-do list.

The Brighton club in the SFL, a working-class team in a suburb with a high percentage of children, has said it will struggle to remain part of the competition with just 30 players turning up to training. It needs to more than double that number if it is to field three teams across seniors, reserves and a colts competition."

I'd like to see someone that presents these articles, actually point out the reasoning behind these correlations.

You're having a shot at the media? ;)
Well bugger me, the good old sycophantic media. They've been up the AFLs arse for so long, I was surprised they could find their way out. :)
I don't remember them being anything else but subservient & slavish about AFL games here & the AFL in general.
I know they are conflating a lot of issues, which probably just stirs the pot. I know its about selling papers, but its a nice surprise to see them bit the hand that 'takes' so much from Tasmania.
Hopefully our other sycophants, politicians, will now make some more noise about the Hawthorn/North situation. The value for money issue.
Definitely of no value to our football. Tourism, interstate & especially international, has mushroomed. So the theatre games dont mean so much as they did in Launceston, nor now in Hobart.
I wonder if any North supporters came down for the JLT game? ;)

From what I've been reading/hearing about the place with Brighton's case it's not to do with the AFL or a lack of footballers in the region, it's that they had a large exodus of players because a lot weren't happy with the appointment of ex-New Norfolk premiership coach, Matthew Smith this year.
Smith's coached a number of flags at New Norfolk (including last year) and has coached at Kingborough Tigers (Tigers FC) and was assistant coach at Glenorchy in the TSL in the past.
He's a very, very good football coach and played TFL with them for a number of years but unfortunately has a very polarising reputation. Some at New Norfolk loved him but a fair chunk of their supporters wouldn't have a bar of him and stayed away from the club.
Would be the only senior coach of a football club I've ever heard of that was banned from his club's own clubrooms even in a premiership year for repeated fighting.
As playing coach at New Norfolk in 2011, his onfield violence in the SFL grand final against Kingborough that year was probably the worst I've seen. And that reputation has followed him around.
New Norfolk had a similar exodus of players in 2016 when Smith returned to coach them after coaching in the TSL for some time but he coached them to a flag the following year.
It's my opinion that a lot of the players at Brighton were just comfortable in turning up to get a game and continue to be mediocre as they have been for many years and knew Smith wouldn't tolerate that, so they left.
Brighton hasn't had a very good reputation themselves over the past decade.
There's been a lot of rumours of unsavoury behaviour, drug problems and other issues involving that club in particular.
Last year an Under-18 game under lights at their Pontville Oval ground was almost abandoned at half time by the umpires because of the behaviour of several of their players parents trying to incite violence.
Certainly not the club they were 20 years ago.

More Tasmanian buck passing.:rolleyes:

more trolling :rolleyes:

i learned more from that post than all the rubbish you seem to post.

The reason is SB knows SFA about Tasmanian football. I mean what could you possibly learn about community football when your arse is stuck in the members bay at the G, shovelling pies & fanta every weekend?

Despite his efforts, you can't even learn it from google, you've actually got to be in it. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

more trolling :rolleyes:

i learned more from that post than all the rubbish you seem to post.

No. I am pointing out that the article is unsubstantiated.

If you can explain to me with tangible data that there is a strong correlation between the AFL and this latest scenario, then I will be happy to change my opinion.

Are you sure thats a fact?

You know he'll be onto google about it don't you. ;)
Still remember that day one of their previous season's players turned up to our ground when they were playing us and he was strung out on ice, headbutting fences, picking at his skin, trying to eat the seats and eventually ran across the ground while they were still playing threatening to stab the goal umpire and several Brighton players who he reckoned owed them money, then threatened others.
About 8-10 cops came to the ground and took him away.

Still remember that day one of their previous season's players turned up to our ground when they were playing us and he was strung out on ice, headbutting fences, picking at his skin, trying to eat the seats and eventually ran across the ground while they were still playing threatening to stab the goal umpire and several Brighton players who he reckoned owed them money, then threatened others.
About 8-10 cops came to the ground and took him away.

Geez, that'll attract a crowd! Sounds like some of the stuff that happens in metro, regional & country footy. The stuff seems be everywhere.

Also too. The SFL is a very poorly run football organisation. Sure, it gets little to no funding from AFL Tasmania, but the president of the league is a female ALP politician who quite frankly has absolute no idea about football, the SFL, what its meaning us in the community, or its history.
Only turns up for photo opportunities and is only interested in pumping up women's football. Doesn't even go to the league meetings. Basically used it to pump up her political profile in the community (didn't work, she lost her seat in last weekend's state election). SFL's troubles run a LOT deeper than money.

Also too. The SFL is a very poorly run football organisation. Sure, it gets little to no funding from AFL Tasmania, but the president of the league is a female ALP politician who quite frankly has absolute no idea about football, the SFL, what its meaning us in the community, or its history.
Only turns up for photo opportunities and is only interested in pumping up women's football. Doesn't even go to the league meetings. Basically used it to pump up her political profile in the community (didn't work, she lost her seat in last weekend's state election). SFL's troubles run a LOT deeper than money.

yeah but you get to watch north and hawthorn!

Who would want to play in Western Sydney.
No one.
A complete s**t hole.
The Giants aren't located in Western Sydney. That's just their name. They play & train at Olympic Park/Homebush which is a 20-25 minute drive from Darling Harbour

Homebush isn't a "s**t hole". The median property value is $2 million. Strathfield (south of Homebush) - property values average $2.6 million
West of Olympic park is where the western Sydney s**t hole begins. East of Olympic Park is fine. Or you can head 10 minutes north to Ryde.

You'll probably find many Giants and Swans players are neighbours living in trendy suburbs like Newtown

The Giants haven't had any problems retaining their players. Ward, Kelly, Shiel, Coniglio, Greene, Cameron and others have all signed contract extensions. The Giants haven't had any problems luring older recruits either: Shane Mumford, Steve Johnson, Heath Shaw, Brett Deledio, Ryan Griffen

Can't be that bad... They've been better at attracting players to their club than Melbourne lol...

I would rather live in Sydney's inner west than Adelaide, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Tasmania or Melbourne's outer suburbs

Last edited:
The Giants aren't located in Western Sydney. That's just their name. They play & train at Olympic Park/Homebush which is a 20-25 minute drive from Darling Harbour

Homebush isn't a "s**t hole". The median property value is $2 million. Strathfield (south of Homebush) - property values average $2.6 million
West of Olympic park is where the western Sydney s**t hole begins. East of Olympic Park is fine. Or you can head 10 minutes north to Ryde.

You'll probably find many Giants and Swans players are neighbours living in trendy suburbs like Newtown

The Giants haven't had any problems retaining their players. Ward, Kelly, Shiel, Coniglio, Greene, Cameron and others have all signed contract extensions. The Giants haven't had any problems luring older recruits either: Shane Mumford, Steve Johnson, Heath Shaw, Brett Deledio, Ryan Griffen

Can't be that bad... They've been better at attracting players to their club than Melbourne lol...

I would rather live in Sydney's inner west than Adelaide, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Tasmania or Melbourne's outer suburbs

Expensive real estate in most of Sydney. Must be hard for draftees. I remember the rent over 20 years ago was pretty steep then. Thankfully my work paid part of it, otherwise I'd have lived out at Liverpool or some such.

So GWS isn't really GWS?

Is being West of Olympic park like being West of Etihad stadium? Or North of Etihad stadium maybe?

So GWS isn't really GWS?
No. It's been one of the criticisms of the AFL's "GWS" branding. Giants players would rock up to footy clinics at school in Parramatta, Cabramatta, etc and then piss off back to their hotel/dorm rooms at that Breakfast Creek resort they moved into.

I don't see why it matters. Plenty of narks everywhere who want to see the AFL venture fail. Western Sydney was obvious choice of branding for the new club to distinguish it from the Sydney Swans. Likewise, the Showgrounds/Olympic Park/Homebush was an obvious location to base the club. Pretty central, really...

Is being West of Olympic park like being West of Etihad stadium? Or North of Etihad stadium maybe?
Etihad Stadium is right in the city. West of Etihad is the docks. Keep going west over the Maribyrnong River and you've got Footscray which is an interesting multi-cultural suburb that has a bit everything. North of Etihad, you've got trendy North Melbourne.

Last edited:
No. It's been one of the criticisms of the AFL's "GWS" branding. Giants players would rock up to footy clinics at school in Parramatta, Cabramatta, etc and then piss off back to their hotel/dorm rooms at that Breakfast Creek resort they moved into.

I don't see why it matters. Plenty of narks everywhere who want to see the AFL venture fail. Western Sydney was obvious choice of branding for the new club to distinguish it from the Sydney Swans. Likewise, the Showgrounds/Olympic Park/Homebush was an obvious location to base the club. Pretty central, really...

Etihad Stadium is right in the city. West of Etihad is the docks. Keep going west over the Maribyrnong River and you've got Footscray which is an interesting multi-cultural suburb that has a bit everything. North of Etihad, you've got trendy North Melbourne.

GWS is an important strategic move. It builds on the now successful Sydney Swans. Some nice areas like the Hills shire do exist which my disappoint some with little idea about Sydney.

I believe thats a lot different to GC IMO. GC is/has been a sports graveyard, because its lifestyle is about the beach. Its still costing a fortune for what? a few more kids playing? Its split the Brisbane support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back