How the AFL lost the battle for Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL is right in the battle for inner west and inner Northern Sydney, where support might be 80/20 RL/AFL. But they have made little progress in Western Sydney and probably never will. It would still be 99% RL there.

+ AFL would be the dominant code in the Eastern Suburbs

Shocking proof the Swans and GWS have failed to attract fans.

Quote from the article (pre-NRL GF): “Huge numbers of NRL fans are expected to tune in for the Battle of the West between Penrith and Parramatta this Sunday.” …

….What actually happened …

“The 2022 National Rugby League (NRL) grand final gained an audience of 2.76 million domestic viewers on Australian free-to-air (FTA) broadcaster Channel Nine, the smallest television viewership in the game’s history.

Close thread

What makes you say that?

Because I live in Sydney and it is my observation. Plus the Eastern Suburbs has a strong reputation of following AFL. Plus there was a good reason why the Swans dumped playing at Homebush - the stadium at Homebush is double the size of the SCG, but that’s pointless because Swans fans wouldn’t go out there from the Eastern suburbs.

Couldn’t imagine too many people in Sydney would dispute that.

Quote from the article (pre-NRL GF): “Huge numbers of NRL fans are expected to tune in for the Battle of the West between Penrith and Parramatta this Sunday.” …

….What actually happened …

“The 2022 National Rugby League (NRL) grand final gained an audience of 2.76 million domestic viewers on Australian free-to-air (FTA) broadcaster Channel Nine, the smallest television viewership in the game’s history.

Close thread
No real surprise. Big audiences come when teams from multiple states play a close game. Hence the biggest AFL GF audiences mostly happen when Sydney have been involved in a good game.

Two teams from one area in a blow out means most people either dont care or tune out. No idea why they thought two Western Sydney teams would get a big national audience

For any battle to be won, the working class has to play and support the game not just the rich.

As I said, the afl is not here to “win” Sydney. Most of the working class areas are die hard nrl fans, u can’t change their mind. The afl just wants a decent chunk of the pie, and ideally that chunk is the wealthier areas.

As I said, the afl is not here to “win” Sydney. Most of the working class areas are die hard nrl fans, u can’t change their mind. The afl just wants a decent chunk of the pie, and ideally that chunk is the wealthier areas.
We checked out the Author of the article.
Comes from Townsville and now Brisbane based - Is not in Sydney. So likely has a NRL background for the most of his life which may explain the extreme comments lacking substance. This info is publicly available which has to be mentioned due to privacy stuff.

A new guy at work here in WA who came from NSW, says he's going to need to brush up on AFL and said he'll go for Swans because they're doing good and it makes sense to go for them. So absolute zero care was given prior to coming here.

I've thought about this a few times and have thought 'what would it take for me to care about the Perth Wildcats (a successful team), or Perth Glory?'. Probably nothing - not a single thing would change my mind, and I commit my brainpower to AFL and that's enough for me. Don't mind the Perth Scorchers but T20 is bit low stakes.

So how do you get more fans? It starts with juniors and inspiring the youngest crowd, and seeing whether this has even worked is going to take 20 years minimum to find an answer. So to the people that say the battle is 'lost', what's your bar?

Possibly but Club Grade Rugby Union is absolutely massive in the eastern suburbs of Sydney.

Randwick/East games are absolutely bonkers.

if the waratahs are ever good again watch it blow up, especially with the new stadium.

A new guy at work here in WA who came from NSW, says he's going to need to brush up on AFL and said he'll go for Swans because they're doing good and it makes sense to go for them. So absolute zero care was given prior to coming here.

I've thought about this a few times and have thought 'what would it take for me to care about the Perth Wildcats (a successful team), or Perth Glory?'. Probably nothing - not a single thing would change my mind, and I commit my brainpower to AFL and that's enough for me. Don't mind the Perth Scorchers but T20 is bit low stakes.

So how do you get more fans? It starts with juniors and inspiring the youngest crowd, and seeing whether this has even worked is going to take 20 years minimum to find an answer. So to the people that say the battle is 'lost', what's your bar?

dunno.

I was born and raised in Melbourne but have been living and working in Sydney for 10 + years. There are definitely more an more people getting into the AFL though i will admit there is 100% a massive bandwagon element if the swans make the finals. it probably happens with every team to a degree but its likely more pronounced when there's only a couple of teams in such a big city.

Swans definitely fill out the stadium so whether that's just because they are always a competitive team is just a credit to them.

What makes you say that?
If you exclude the super wealthy who basically own all the property, the Eastern states is full of ex-pats from all over the world (think a pasty pom moving to Bondi for the beach), interstaters (like Perth people who want to work in finance) and young well-off families who Mrs Smith doesn't want young Johnny to play rugby (because its mental) or league (ewww gross).

From my experience, the internationals want to try something new and hence the Swans is a cool way of doing it, ex-pat interstates like me have a common ground in a city especially when you don't really know anyone and well rugby union is fading in popularity instead of growing.

Yep the Giants should be tapping into the young families markets who are all over their real catchment area of say inner west to up towards Pennant Hills.

Should be offering five free games to giants games as part of their fees for the u10s or whatever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep the Giants should be tapping into the young families markets who are all over their real catchment area of say inner west to up towards Pennant Hills.

Should be offering five free games to giants games as part of their fees for the u10s or whatever.
That’s an awesome idea. Especially if they organise busses and supervision.

If you exclude the super wealthy who basically own all the property, the Eastern states is full of ex-pats from all over the world (think a pasty pom moving to Bondi for the beach), interstaters (like Perth people who want to work in finance) and young well-off families who Mrs Smith doesn't want young Johnny to play rugby (because its mental) or league (ewww gross).

From my experience, the internationals want to try something new and hence the Swans is a cool way of doing it, ex-pat interstates like me have a common ground in a city especially when you don't really know anyone and well rugby union is fading in popularity instead of growing.
So if you went down to, say Randwick Primary School on footy day, are you saying that there would be more kids in AFL jumpers than NRL? I find that is the best guide to actual popularity. With Easts (Roosters) being a dominant NRL side the last 10 years, I doubt that there would be - I'd suggest that it is just the circles you move in.

EDIT - a quick google search of Randwick Primary school shows that they have 8 Oztag teams (non tackling RL), 4 x RU/RL teams and 2 x AFL teams. So AFL is still a fair way behind, and would be in every Sydney suburb.

No way

Woollahra - Waverly - Bondi - Bondi Junction - Rose Bay- Double Bay- Edgecliff -Watsons Bay - Bellevue Hill - Paddington - Vaucluse - Dover Heights - most of them couldnt give a rats aarse about AFL - and most of Syd couldnt for that matter

The Swans were enough in Syd - 2 teams is utter madness

The only thing that saved the Swans was the Super League War - living their - that event/factor is the single most important factor in their history shoring up the Swans survival at that point - their crowds doubled overnight

Shocking proof the Swans and GWS have failed to attract fans.

SHOCK! HORROR! Douchebag rugby league journo writes anti-AFL article :rolleyes:

A sizeable chunk of NRL fans have a serious bee up their arse when it comes to the AFL. It's just weird how hostile they are towards our great game. They are so insecure.

Footy is footy, innit? AFL, NRL, NFL, EPL... It's all good. Professional athletes kicking a ball around, chasing after each other and trying to assert their supremacy. What's not to like? Better than watching anything else on television.

I personally don't mind the rugby league. But I'm a sports junkie. I'd watch 2 flies crawling up a wall if there was commentary and crowd noise.
I'll normally watch a few NRL finals and one or two state of origin games. But I'm probably in the minority around here..

The overwhelming majority of folks from Victoria, Tassie, SA and West Oz never even think about the NRL. It just isn't on people's radar. There's no hatred or sense of rivalry from AFL fans towards the NRL. Just complete indifference. The care factor is literally zero. It may as well be the Mongolian Rugby League.

Last edited:
SHOCK! HORROR! Douchebag rugby league journo writes anti-AFL article :rolleyes:

A sizeable chunk of NRL fans have a serious bee up their arse when it comes to the AFL. It's just weird how hostile they are towards our great game. They are so insecure.

Footy is footy, innit? AFL, NRL, NFL, EPL... It's all good. Professional athletes kicking a ball around, chasing after each other and trying to assert their supremacy. What's not to like? Better than watching anything else on television.

I personally don't mind the rugby league. But I'm a sports junkie. I'd watch 2 flies crawling up a wall if there was commentary and crowd noise.
I'll normally watch a few NRL finals and one or two state of origin games. But I'm probably in the minority around here..

The vast majority of AFL fans from Victoria, Tassie, SA and West Oz never even think about the NRL. That's no hyperbole. Just plain facts. The NRL just isn't on people's radar, The care factor is literally zero.

There's no hatred or rivalry from AFL fans towards the NRL. Just complete indifference. It may as well be the Mongolian Rugby League.
Yep - many times I've heard NRL fans take the piss out of Aussie Rules - Ping pong crap, kicky vicky, etc.

I have never heard an AFL fan take the piss out of rugby.

I also put it down to insecurity, or fear of something different? Dunno. It's weird.

No way

Woollahra - Waverly - Bondi - Bondi Junction - Rose Bay- Double Bay- Edgecliff -Watsons Bay - Bellevue Hill - Paddington - Vaucluse - Dover Heights - most of them couldnt give a rats aarse about AFL

Not my experience of people I’ve known who live on those areas - plenty of folks seem to be walking to the ground on gameday.

Plus those suburbs you’ve listed are barely cover a third of the Eastern suburbs.

The Swans were enough in Syd - 2 teams is utter madness

The only thing that saved the Swans was the Super League War - living their - that event/factor is the single most important factor in their history shoring up the Swans survival at that point - their crowds doubled overnight

These things are generational. Kids play Auskick and get a taste for it in the playground. It then takes 10 to 20 years for that kid to buy memberships and attend games.

Also, would imagine Swans have a higher percentage of casual supporters who might only go to 2 to 5 games a season, compared with other clubs.

Possibly but Club Grade Rugby Union is absolutely massive in the eastern suburbs of Sydney.

Randwick/East games are absolutely bonkers.

if the waratahs are ever good again watch it blow up, especially with the new stadium.

Absolutely! Plus Sydney FC have a presence there as well.

For the melbournians on here- the Swans are the biggest football club in Sydney, any code. In terms of attendance, membership, visible merch, most casual interest, esp from female fans. That Includes the Wallabies.

For the melbournians on here- the Swans are the biggest football club in Sydney, any code. In terms of attendance, membership, visible merch, most casual interest, esp from female fans. That Includes the Wallabies.

Jeremy Cammeron could walk down Pitt St - any time of the day - and no one would give him a 2nd look

Day to day living - re Syd people - AFL isnt on the landscape

I kinda love reading these threads about how sports are seen in other states. I don't think the AFL needs to beat the NRL in Sydney though. There's 5 million people in Sydney. Even of 10 percent of them follow AFL you've got a decent base.

With the NRL, I'm one eyed St. George and i have only ever lived in Melbourne. Ironically I chose the dragons in 99 when they played Melbourne in the GF, because I liked the dragon logo. (9 year old logic).

But that stuck with me right up until this day. As a teenager you were hard pressed to get me out of my dragons jersey, mum drove to albury to get it for my 13th birthday ecause there was no NRL gear in melbourne in the early 00s. Wore that jumper for every school sports event as well. Also because of teenage logic, I was the only big NRL fan at my school so it was also that sense of individuality that teenagers crave.

I was still mad richmond the whole time and still went to every Richmond game each week, but I had another sport to enjoy.

That's what needs to happen to kids in Sydney if you want more AFL engagement. They need to get interested, for whatever reason, as kids and it generally sticks with you keep being interested in sport as you age.

Jeremy Cammeron could walk down Pitt St - any time of the day - and no one would give him a 2nd look

Day to day living - re Syd people - AFL isnt on the landscape

Absolutely.

But does it need to be?

For example - Swans get higher average home attendances than Geelong do (yeah, I know KP is being renovated) - but unlike Geelong where you get the same rusted on supporters who turn up rain hail or shine week after week, Swans will have a larger supporter base (and it is larger) but they’ll instead only go to a handful of games a season.

You see plenty of Swans merch out and about - it was everywhere in GF week - just like you’d expect anywhere else in the country if their team was in the GF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back