Oppo Camp How the hell do we beat Collingwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

the injuries might actually be a blessing in disguise...just gives others a chance to step up....this game very important however in the long term even more important. It helps to establish greater depth in the list esp against a high quality team and gives us a chance to bring players in and out at any time to cover one's spot if needed is vital for finals and long term success..

Forget Ball. He's been missing all year and Collingwood has won 15 games so far.

They haven't been anywhere near as good or convincing without him though. Beams has stepped up in his absence but the inside is an area we were crushed in previous years. When you are looking at what might be different this year then that is a factor.

Not fussed about their backline but their midfield kicks goals better than their foward line does so we cannot allow them to run free forward of centre. How we stop that I'm not sure.

Last few years I went into the Pies games with no confidence and a 0% chance of winning. This week I give us a smoky's chance if things go right and we play to near enough our best. At least the Pies will have something to think about this week, they won't be taking it easy that's for sure, they're far too professional for that.
We need to get off to flyer to build confidence and create a bit of doubt for the Pies then just run run run and run. I reckon as a unit their defence is really good if allowed to be but individually they can make the odd mistake so we need to pressure hard the ball carrier/user at every oppurtunity and then pounce, allowing the likes of Harvey and Thomas to mop up. Whenever they've lost this year their defence has basically fallen apart and looked very ordinary through relentless pressure. However for this to happen we need to at least break even in the midfield and pump the ball quickly forward.

Best case scenario is playing the game of our lives for a 25pt win, worst case scenario is that we look flat and tired after being up for 2 months and cop a 60+pt hiding. Realistically though I'll be happy as long as our % doesn't take a battering.....but if we win well though then we can start to maybe dream.....

Whatever happens this week it's bloody unreal being in such a position in R21. Big game, not too much to lose and everything to gain.

If we are any hope we need to dominate the contested footy

With Wells out our main three midfielders will be Swallow, Ziebell and Cunnington the strongest clearance combination we have.

I reckon this is on the money. Not as big a factor as the three mentioned, but Cruize knows his way around a contested ball too. Has done some good stuff the last couple.

I also have a feeling this is a perfect opportunity for Sammy Wright to shine as a defensive forward, as others have mentioned.

We are definitely in with a puncher's chance, and there are worse ways to be.

Smash them on the spread.

Our spread will make for interesting viewing this week Pykie.

Collingwood's spread defensively as well as offensively has always been top notch and it will roll on for the full 120 mins.

I worry that their inside ball winners and mature bodies will outlast us on Saturday. Cloke and Dawes will be a concern if our midfield breaks.

Should be a good game.

Collingwood enjoy the +1 defensively, and playing with more numbers than the opposition around the ball.

With our run and carry off of half-back, it'll be interesting to see if we allow that +1 and have our extra number through the middle.

I'm sure NM can beat Collingwood - I haven't finished my numbers from last weekend and will put up some for Collingwood in the next couple of days but thinking about it one or two weeks before, I've thought their forward line is pretty brittle. I'll do the exact stuff next day or so.

We are a red hot chance this week.

We will go a long way to winning if we don't give them a extra man in defense. If they put an extra man back then we send someone down there to. I don't care if we end up with 10 forwards as long as they don't get that extra man. Break even with their midfield and we have forwards in much better form than theirs to kick a winning score.

FWIW, i see it playing out very similar to the West Coast game. Us flying out of the blocks then trying to absorb the pressure in the second half. Jolly sure aint gonna "do a Cox" so hopefully we hold on if it turns out like that.

Here's how I'd approach it.

Maintain 3 tall forward structure. At least 2 at all times stay deep with one (probably Drew) roaming upfield at times. Force Pies defenders to stay at home or risk getting exposed on the break.

Might sound contradictory but - where possible channel attacks through Lindsay. With the pies desire to create 2 on 1s on any of our talls in attack, Lindsay gets to compete one out. With his contesting ability and unpredictability he is capable of creating headaches for them. Harper and Garlett also become keys in this match as I can see Collingwood putting a lot of time into the talls.

Genuine tall defenders for roles. No Spud on Cloke type bullshit. cloke and Dawes are genuine size key forwards and need to have equivalent bodies to stand them. One of the Delaneys or Pedo must come in to rotate with Thompson on these 2.

Goldy to push back. This is a team that generates a lot of shots from the midfield. Setting up a defensive obstacle - the way it did v Buddy before we strangely changed the setup - might help stop their smaller players taking long range potshots or kicking to smaller targets.

For these reasons.. bring in Pedo. Is able to pinch hit some ruck contests to allow Goldy to drop back. Also provides the defensive rotation option and may be required as a spare marking forward should the towers all have decoy/setting up roles (as strange as that sounds).

No tags. Midfields go head to head. In it to win it. Defensive matchups must be appropriate with no punching out of weight class matchups - we won't get away with that here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tbh, i'd be happy with a loss under 30 points.

I agree. It would be great to have a win obviously, but realistically its unlikely being key players down. I want to see we can match them and provide a strong contest for four quarters - we haven't done for some time.

If the margin was close at the end of the game I would be satsifed the club has made massive improvement, which in itself would be very promising regardless of getting the 4 points.

I had a long chat with a player early this week and I can assure you we're going into this game with confidence, expecting to give it a bloody good shake, and hoping for a win. The players are jumping out of their skins to get into this one. I was certainly pumped to hear all that I can tell you. I'm not expecting a win, but I'm far from forlorn before the battle's begun. Bring it on!

I've probably asked this question about 5 or 6 times to myself already this week, and I tell you what, this is our hardest game since Buddy-gate.

So, anyone got any ideas? How do we stop this juggernaut in their tracks? They pantsed us twice last year, and I'd like that to change.

What are their strengths and how can we counter them?

What are their weaknesses and how can we exploit them?
I say we just turn up and continue what we have been doing for the last 2 months.

GBS are you okay? Dont get me wrong Im not having a crack. Like ya as a poster but since Sunday night you have been bumping old threads and then started this one as if we have no hope and have a victim mentality in not being able to overcome the Pies.

Sure 2 months ago and the last 3 years, this thread would be spot on but considering the football we have been playing and the match being at Etihad I would give us more then a fair chance of getting the points.

Like I said in the changes thread, in recent years Bon has backed the players in to win the contest when we werent ready. I was critical of that.
This year though and right now at present we can take it up to the Pies and hold our own without a doubt.

MODs, thread title should be changed to Matching up or Facing up to Collingwood.
If we play to our strengths and execute our skills well enough, Collingwood and Bucks will be thinking how the hell do we beat North.
Thanks for the vindication North.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back