Moved Thread How the northern academies are transforming footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
How the northern academies are transforming footy - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-16/how-the-northern-academies-are-transforming-footy

Interesting article on the Northern Academies. Too often this debate becomes resentment about recruiting advantages to me, and ignores the great work they do in expanding the game.

A Few points:-

1. Our clubs preference was to restrict the recruiting advantages rather than the academy zones, although considerable resources are put into the academy.

2. We maintained services to youngsters in the academy when the zones around Albury and the Murray were changed. To avoid disadvantaging players who had a commitment and a development programme in place.

3. Our academy has assisted 16 players to an AFL debut so far. 5 for other clubs. As recently as this year Matthew Walker was drafted by the Hawks.

Academy prospects: Who's eligible for your club in 2019? (Like most years it is depressing reading for non-northern clubs)

Greater Western Sydney midfielder Tom Green has already caught the eye, having played for the Allies at last year's NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.

Green is a big-bodied player who has become a fitter player in recent months, helped in part by training with the Giants over summer.

He has strong bloodlines as the grandson of Richmond great Michael Green, who won four flags for the club and is a member of its team of the century.

The Giants will also have access to Liam Delahunty, a medium forward with power who has also improved his running ability over the pre-season, while Matt McGrory has come from an athletics background but is another who will be on their radar.

Josh Rayner, a tall and athletic forward who can also push back, looms as Sydney's best Academy prospect, while Gold Coast will have first call on Connor Budarick.

Budarick is small (175cm) but is quick, tenacious and a very good user of the ball. Paul-Oea Hewago, from Papua New Guinea, has also joined the Suns Academy as an international two-year scholarship.

Kobe Tozer is considered one of the leading Brisbane Academy players in this year's pool, however the key forward will be keen for an uninterrupted season after suffering two dislocated kneecaps in recent years.

The Lions also have priority over competitive midfielder Will Martyn.

Sydney has secured three first-round picks via its Academy in the past five years (Isaac Heeney, Callum Mills and Blakey) and they could add to that group next year with two highly-rated bottom-agers in their squad this season.

Errol Gulden is a smaller type but has an elite running capacity, while explosive half-back Braeden Campbell's talent has already impressed onlookers ahead of their draft year in 2020.

Bigoa Nyuon kicked three goals in the NAB AFL All Stars clash on Grand Final day and can join St Kilda as a NGA player this year. His brother, Gach, was picked as a rookie by the Bombers in 2015.

Liam Henry, a midfielder from Western Australia, is eligible to join Fremantle under NGA rules.

Lachlan Johnson's father Chris played in three premierships for the Brisbane Lions, making him eligible to join the club as a father-son selection. However, he also qualifies as a NGA pick for Essendon given he lives in their zone.

Ranting and raving aside, they are doing a good job of developing talent and showing that young talent a clear pathway.
GWS, in particular, has shown with equalisation measures you can’t warehouse talent and the players end up around the league. Be it from academies or draft concessions.
Is the lad Rayner any relation to Cam Rayner?

Ranting and raving aside, they are doing a good job of developing talent and showing that young talent a clear pathway.
GWS, in particular, has shown with equalisation measures you can’t warehouse talent and the players end up around the league. Be it from academies or draft concessions.
Is the lad Rayner any relation to Cam Rayner?

I think we always knew it. A reducing list size and the cap made it inevitable. It was always about keeping the best as much as possible.

One thing that does worry me a bit is in the cold pragmatic business space, we dont prioritise keeping the academy graduates. They should be naturally aligned to long term careers with us. Trading guys like Steele and Matt Kennedy hurt a bit.

We do have two Western Sydney graduates in Nick Shipley and Kieren Briggs and Ithink they should be untouchable. Both are on track for successful AFL careers.

Errol Gulden is a smaller type but has an elite running capacity, while explosive half-back Braeden Campbell's talent has already impressed onlookers ahead of their draft year in 2020.

I really like the sound of Gulden as I remember reading this

In the first game of the National Championships, against the Northern Territory, Gulden recorded statistics rarely seen - 27 kicks, 11 handballs, 10 marks, eight clearances, four tackles and five goals.

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2018-07-19/academy-duo-named-in-all-australian-team

If they givesa and WA sides get full access to all indigenous players from there states, and they fix the points system, then it may be close to fair.

I think the points system is fine, but I do agree that giving Fremantle and West Coast full access to Aboriginal players coming through makes a lot of sense. The only minefield would be to define how Aboriginal.

I think the points system is fine, but I do agree that giving Fremantle and West Coast full access to Aboriginal players coming through makes a lot of sense. The only minefield would be to define how Aboriginal.
Fair in what sense? What's unfair at the moment for the WA clubs when it comes to recruiting?
WA and sa should have the same access to players as Vic teams do have to Vic players

Full stop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t the dockers have an NGA eligible prospect training with them at the moment? Supposed to be very highly rated as well.

Maybe one in 2020. bit early to tell now.

Outside of f/s (which you can bid on), which players can't WA teams access?
Freo can only access indigineous players from two remote zones.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/indigenous-academy-backlash-20180620-p4zmq3.html

The AFL has told clubs that Indigenous communities and elders in Western Australia and South Australia have complained that they have been discriminated against, as the league considers major changes to its academy system.
And clubs believe that the AFL is seriously looking at adopting a proposal – put forward by West Coast, with the backing of Fremantle and the SA clubs – to have the Next Generation Academy’s Indigenous and multicultural players available to all clubs in the first 25 or 30 positions in the national draft in a trade-off for the WA and SA teams gaining access to their entire states.
In a memo sent out to all clubs last week, the AFL said the WA and SA clubs were experiencing ‘‘a significant backlash’’ from Indigenous communities who felt their youngsters were excluded from the (NGA) academy set-up, which only allocates certain largely remote territories to recruit Indigenous players for their academies and leaves other territories alone.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/indigenous-academy-backlash-20180620-p4zmq3.html

The AFL has told clubs that Indigenous communities and elders in Western Australia and South Australia have complained that they have been discriminated against, as the league considers major changes to its academy system.
And clubs believe that the AFL is seriously looking at adopting a proposal – put forward by West Coast, with the backing of Fremantle and the SA clubs – to have the Next Generation Academy’s Indigenous and multicultural players available to all clubs in the first 25 or 30 positions in the national draft in a trade-off for the WA and SA teams gaining access to their entire states.
In a memo sent out to all clubs last week, the AFL said the WA and SA clubs were experiencing ‘‘a significant backlash’’ from Indigenous communities who felt their youngsters were excluded from the (NGA) academy set-up, which only allocates certain largely remote territories to recruit Indigenous players for their academies and leaves other territories alone.
It's disturbing some areas are excluded.

The Northern academies are about growing the sport, and that's great. Foity in the indigenous communities has a more important role in my view. Sport promotes a sense if purpose and healthy lifestyle to group badly in need of both.

As an Essendon supporter, if he's a good player and we can get him cheap, getting Chris Johnsons son would be great. In all honesty though Essendon have no business getting the son of a 200 odd game, 3 time premiership Brisbane player. It's a joke. He's a Brisbane FS prospect and thats it. Same goes for Blakey at Sydney. Should of been tied to North and due to the merger Brisbane as well.

As an Essendon supporter, if he's a good player and we can get him cheap, getting Chris Johnsons son would be great. In all honesty though Essendon have no business getting the son of a 200 odd game, 3 time premiership Brisbane player. It's a joke. He's a Brisbane FS prospect and thats it. Same goes for Blakey at Sydney. Should of been tied to North and due to the merger Brisbane as well.
Nah

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Its like the Chris Judd situation. Played 100 games each with both eagles and blues. Where would judds sons go once they are 18?
Judd played 100 games for both. The son has a choice. Joe Daniher had the same thing. Could've gone to Sydney or Essendon.
My point is that Essendon shouldn't have access to Johnson just because he happens to be in our NGA zone and be part aboriginal. Ridiculous. Chris Johnson was a long term Fitzroy/Brisbane player. John Blakeys son is at Sydney just because his dad happens to be an assistant there so he went to their academy growing up. He should be a North player, or Brisbane if he chose them.

I don't really understand, so aboriginal players should be allowed to stay in their home state but any white people born in Perth don't?
May aswell just * off the draft and let each state draft their own players

I don't really understand, so aboriginal players should be allowed to stay in their home state but any white people born in Perth don't?
May aswell just **** off the draft and let each state draft their own players
I would like the same rules to be applied to people from Victoria, SA and WA.

I don't understand why there are different rules.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back