How to balance AFL fixture !

Remove this Banner Ad

CorkynPAUSA

Draftee
Jul 22, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
'Win Pts' against 5 opponents played twice are worth only half as much.
Essentially, all teams then are competing for an identical 17 wins over the 22 rds.
Teams played once are exclusively scheduldd over the 'odd rds' 1, 3, 5....23;
with those played twice and bye weeks in the 'even rds' 2, 4, 6....22.
Ladder top 5 to the 'Final 8 Elimination' (Week 2) with 6th to 11th in 'Preliminary Elimination' (Week 1).

I'd remove percentage for the opponents played twice games as well. You only get the best to the two games, not both.

Last spot in the finals often goes down to percentage, not fair if strong team with a soft draw belts a weak team twice for additional percentage boost, making finals over a team with a harder draw and closer wins.

I'd remove percentage for the opponents played twice games as well. You only get the best to the two games, not both.

Last spot in the finals often goes down to percentage, not fair if strong team with a soft draw belts a weak team twice for additional percentage boost, making finals over a team with a harder draw and closer wins.

Games played in the rain should have an adjusted score line, where the wind is a factor should be evened out, scoring accuracy should be factored in ....

Games played in the rain should have an adjusted score line, where the wind is a factor should be evened out, scoring accuracy should be factored in ....
* it. We should just forget the ladder go off the squiggle.

Wtf is the point of playing twice. Just have a rotating fixture with no marque double ups...
That could work, until Collingwood plays:
Brisbane at the Gabba
Fremantle at Optus
West Coast at Optus
Sydney in Sydney
GWS in Sydney
Adelaide in Adelaide
Port in Adelaide
Gold Coast at Metricon

Assuming North and Hawks games will be at the G or Docklands.

Meanwhile Richmond plays all those sides at home with only 2 interstate trips the whole season and both are to Tasmania.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the finals are a good means to equalising both the fixture and the balance sheet.

We get to the end of round 23 and the teams from 6th to 13th are all very much the same on points, it's a log jam in the mid table. A single game with a percentage boost to one of these sides has a big influence on the result.

So, ladder goes:
1, 2, 3, 4 - straight through to the finals
5 v 12, 6 v 11, 7 v 10, 8 v 9 - "wildcard round" - four extra games in the finals series in the "week off" before the finals.
Thursday night, Friday night, Saturday, Saturday night games.

Top 8 Finals series as per usual.

That could work, until Collingwood plays:
Brisbane at the Gabba
Fremantle at Optus
West Coast at Optus
Sydney in Sydney
GWS in Sydney
Adelaide in Adelaide
Port in Adelaide
Gold Coast at Metricon

Assuming North and Hawks games will be at the G or Docklands.

Meanwhile Richmond plays all those sides at home with only 2 interstate trips the whole season and both are to Tasmania.
There is 8 interstate teams... 4 trips a year swapping every year. Not hard.

Gil would never consider a 17 Game Season think of all the money the AFL would lose, plus I have no jackets
with padded elbows in multiple shades of beige and mustard.

How will they lose money though ?.

I have always wanted to explore this in-depth.

How will they lose money though ?.

I have always wanted to explore this in-depth.
Losing 5 full rounds would equate to lost revenue and maybe less product for the TV rights that right or
wrong keep the game afloat. If it were always 17 rounds then no one would notice the difference, but
once you have 22 rounds it's hard to go backwards. There is a moral push among the players at the
moment regarding gambling, these things are never black and white however and there will always
be unseen consequences. I am old enough to remember when there was no draft and no mobile
phones and only twelve teams, but those times are long gone.

Due to logistical reasons there will never be a balanced fixture.

Fremantle & West Coast would have to play all their home games and away games in Adelaide for a start.

Doesn't matter what fixture you produce or how many times each team has to play each other.

I think the finals are a good means to equalising both the fixture and the balance sheet.

We get to the end of round 23 and the teams from 6th to 13th are all very much the same on points, it's a log jam in the mid table. A single game with a percentage boost to one of these sides has a big influence on the result.

So, ladder goes:
1, 2, 3, 4 - straight through to the finals
5 v 12, 6 v 11, 7 v 10, 8 v 9 - "wildcard round" - four extra games in the finals series in the "week off" before the finals.
Thursday night, Friday night, Saturday, Saturday night games.

Top 8 Finals series as per usual.
you are cheating the ship... go on with it//.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back