Opinion How to beat Hawthorn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone talks about how great Clarkson is as a coach.

Now lets see if we can devise a plan to weaken them??

For starters I think its important to stop Jack Gunston who seems to be a bit of a barometer and a bloody good footballer and goal kicker.

Stopping possessions to Tom Mitchell probably helps to.

Any other ideas atm??
Shut down Luke Bruest, if he gets only a goal or two they usually lose.

It is critical to beat this vile filth who should not have ever been admitted to the VFL in the first place, let alone the AFL. What had they done to deserve to be there? Nothing, that's what. Zero.

Now, they have won 13 flags in their history and we have won 13 in our history. You don't ever let this pox ridden club get ahead of you again Tigers. Send them off to Dingley in style, beaten to a pulp and scared. Dingley, jesus, nobody goes there any more, it is way too crowded. Smash Gunston, he is one of my most hated footballers, just dead set smash him, honestly. Isaac Smith, Stratten Sicily, you just want to make blokes like this wish they'd never been born. Bury them. Puopolo, god I hate him. Dean Polo was better a better player than Puopolo. Marco frikkin Polo was a better player than him. To be fair Puopolo has probably seen more of the planet than Marco Polo.

The answer to this thread then is that to beat the Hawks, you do whatever is required, and I mean whatever it takes Tigers. Now rip them to shreds.

I'm surprised you have a thread on this

This is probably our weakest finals side since 2000

We are just delighted that we will have so many players able to gain some finals experience over the next few weeks
Heart says Richmond.
Head even says Richmond.
That nasty little voice inside my head that whispers "it's all going to go pear shaped" says AAAARRRGH!!

Assume Mitchell will get it but be sure to man up everyone else at the stoppage so he does 20 of his trademark dump kicks forward. Will kick it to Astbury and Vlaustin all day. He might be MVP but Sam Mitchell ge is not.In all seriousness.. i really hope we show up properly and crush them. We've been sneaking over the line for a few weeks and if we don't start playing better soon we will get beaten by someone...We are the best team this year but that doesn't win the flag. It's who plays best this next month.
On form that's not us but it can be based on talent.
Let the real games begin! :thumbsu:

It is critical to beat this vile filth who should not have ever been admitted to the VFL in the first place, let alone the AFL. What had they done to deserve to be there? Nothing, that's what. Zero.

Now, they have won 13 flags in their history and we have won 13 in our history. You don't ever let this pox ridden club get ahead of you again Tigers.

Ignoring the silly rant at the start.

Have I missed something?

Could have sworn you guys have 11 Flags.

Enlighten me as to where those other 2 mythical ones, came from.

Ignoring the silly rant at the start.

Have I missed something?

Could have sworn you guys have 11 Flags.

Enlighten me as to where those other 2 mythical ones, came from.

Well my friend Tazhawk15, this is the whole point of my post. Let me take you back in time. By saying we have won 11 flags, I presume you mean 1920, 1921, 1932, 1934, 1943, 1967, 1969, 1973, 1974, 1980, and 2017. I cannot list yours, it makes me too angry, for you should not have any. For you see WE were admitted to the VFL in 1908 on the back of two premierships in the VFA, 1902 ad 1905. And you may as well say it was three premierships and that we now sit on 14, because in 1904, the cheating North Melbourne were awarded our 14th premiership when the disgraceful umpire Allen was appointed to oversee the Grad Final. The same individual who had failed to inspect The North Melbourne players' boots containing outlawed iron spikes during an earlier final against us. North Melbourne were later found guilty of failing to submit to an inspection, and reprimanded, but umpire Allen went on to lose control of the criminal North Melbourne outfit in a subsequent final. The proud and upstanding Tigers quite rightly pulled out of the challenge final on PRINCIPLE, something of which you as a Hawthorn supporter are likely to have little concept.

You can read about it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1904_VFA_season#Final

My favourite part of that story is that Williamstown still consider that we owe them 20 quid for pulling out. F*ck off Williamstown, try to collect it at Punt Road tonight and see how far you get.

Anyway, so the Tigers were subsequently admitted to the VFL on the strength of having won these Premierships. Try as I might, I cannot find any Premiership Hawthorn won in order to justify their admission to the VFL in 1925. Not in the VFA, not in the local suburban competition when they played in that, not in a churches league, nothing. Zero, zip, nowt. There is a very meritorious campaign to have Hawthorn thrown out of the AFL for failing to earn their way into it in the first place. I think you will agree this is only fair, and that their entire VFL/AFL record should be struck from the records, and they should start again in suburban footy and see if they can earn their way somewhere from there for once in their sorry history.

So I hope this enlightens you and you accordingly change your name to TazHawkzero. :)

Haw fav a possession style game that generally comes unstuck when confronted with high end pressure as they’ve experienced against us in last 12m . This type of game plan requires a deep midfield with pace to keep the ball of us and match winning tall forwards to combat our stingy defence. We play the game on our terms the best we can , we WIN

Well my friend Tazhawk15, this is the whole point of my post. Let me take you back in time. By saying we have won 11 flags, I presume you mean 1920, 1921, 1932, 1934, 1943, 1967, 1969, 1973, 1974, 1980, and 2017. I cannot list yours, it makes me too angry, for you should not have any. For you see WE were admitted to the VFL in 1908 on the back of two premierships in the VFA, 1902 ad 1905. And you may as well say it was three premierships and that we now sit on 14, because in 1904, the cheating North Melbourne were awarded our 14th premiership when the disgraceful umpire Allen was appointed to oversee the Grad Final. The same individual who had failed to inspect The North Melbourne players' boots containing outlawed iron spikes during an earlier final against us. North Melbourne were later found guilty of failing to submit to an inspection, and reprimanded, but umpire Allen went on to lose control of the criminal North Melbourne outfit in a subsequent final. The proud and upstanding Tigers quite rightly pulled out of the challenge final on PRINCIPLE, something of which you as a Hawthorn supporter are likely to have little concept.

My favourite part of that story is that Williamstown still consider that we owe them 20 quid for pulling out. F*ck off Williamstown, try to collect it at Punt Road tonight and see how far you get.

Anyway, so the Tigers were subsequently admitted to the VFL on the strength of having won these Premierships. Try as I might, I cannot find any Premiership Hawthorn won in order to justify their admission to the VFL in 1925. Not in the VFA, not in the local suburban competition when they played in that, not in a churches league, nothing. Zero, zip, nowt. There is a very meritorious campaign to have Hawthorn thrown out of the AFL for failing to earn their way into it in the first place. I think you will agree this is only fair, and that their entire VFL/AFL record should be struck from the records, and they should start again in suburban footy and see if they can earn their way somewhere from there for once in their sorry history.

So I hope this enlightens you and you accordingly change your name to TazHawkzero. :)
giphy (4).gif

Nice essay.

So just to confirm that since being in the same comp it’s 13 >>>>>>>>>>> 11. :thumbsu:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a good laugh.

Good luck next week will be a ripper, come what may.

Well errrrr....nope. You were(unjustifiably) in the VFA with the rest of us when we won our first two. 13 v 13. Actually I will split the difference. Zero premierships on merit to you and 14 to us. :eek:
Jealous much? You sound like whinging Port supporters that claim they have won 3 million premierships in the SANFL and the greatest of all time.

Most successful club since we joined. Followed by Blues and Bombers. It's not that hard to understand that we have owned the competition for 93 years.

13>>>>>>11.

You mean the last two months where we won 7 games by an average margin of 31 points and lost 1 game by 2 points, while barely getting out of second gear?

You said it. Haven’t been out of second gear in two months.

Better hope your boys remember where the shifter is.

Tom Browne says Birchall ‘facing an uphill battle to play in the early part of the finals’

Huge game
They’ll have a plan
Hopefully we come to play

Really feel last year Townsend playing as a defensive forward worked a treat. George should do the same. Send him to Sicily. Will frustrate him and if George kicks a couple that’s a huge win for us.
Fridge goes to o meara. He’s the class. Breaks the game open along with Isaac smith. Hold him to 20 and no goals and we are winners.
Mcintosh to Smith. Has the running capacity just needs to hit him hard when he gets the chance.

Gunston broad. Shut lynch out in the granny and can do similar things to Gunston. He’ll still kick A few it’s just about negating his impact.

Grimes will nullify Breust

It’s the other way where the game will be won.

Howe will tag dusty. Dusty can’t handle a tag and never has. Don’t understand why more teams don’t. We’ll play him forward I think.

Game will be won in the middle
Cotchin has been poor for 6 weeks and is due. Edwards will be keen to show why he was all Australian. But I feel it’s dion and lambert who are the keys.
If they both have 25 and control things we will win!

Backing us by 3-4 goals but feel out of anyone the hawks along with pies are the real threats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back