Opinion How to Build a Forward Line

Remove this Banner Ad

We have those types coming through. Logue, Young, Walker, Thomas, Chapman. Cox could if he was encouraged to mark but it looks like he has been instructed to punch. Of the older players, Pearce, Ryan and Wilson have always taken the game on. But the game plan unveiled last season didn’t really resemble that strategy and looked much more controlled short kick to a player in the clear, often sideways.
Ya it’s very early days but my fear is that controlled kicking game plan is not as effective under the new rules. Then again, the Eagles also do a similar style but it was noticeable how quickly they were moving the ball by foot yesterday.
It’s not so much the kick that’s the issue - it’s the 4 or 5 seconds of scanning around looking for options before making the kick that causes the problems.

It’s not so much the kick that’s the issue - it’s the 4 or 5 seconds of scanning around looking for options before making the kick that causes the problems.
^This a million times. Hawthorn's short kicking game from 2012-2015 and WC's longer kicks — in both cases, it's mark, turn and kick. There's no looking for a player, because they're kicking to the spot where they know their teammate is going to be.

So much of that hinges on team cohesion, though — something we haven't had the luxury of for years on account of injuries / list overhaul.

Ya it’s very early days but my fear is that controlled kicking game plan is not as effective under the new rules. Then again, the Eagles also do a similar style but it was noticeable how quickly they were moving the ball by foot yesterday.
I think the controlled kicking/keep posession at all costs plan can work. But only if you nail all those kicks. Watcing WCE v GC yesterday, their field kicking is just so much better than ours that they can maintain posession as they move the ball from side-to-side looking for an opening.

Nothing kills the posession game more than 2 or 3 short kicks across half-back but then the next misses its target. The oppo's set midfield zone then grabs the poor kick an overwhlems the few isolated defenders in the D50. That's when the short game looks foolish.

If you have guys like Hughes or Conca or even Acres playing the short kick game then it is only a matter of time before it all goes to gumbo.

It's been said before but there has been some pretty poor list management over the last few years.
Have lost McCarthy, Kersten and Hogan as key forwards and replaced them with a hail mary rookie pick in Josh Treacy.
Lobb is more a backup ruckman, and however good Sam Sturt will be (if not injured) he is 189cm and doesn't really have the frame to crash packs.
Meanwhile, we have 20 billion backman and a plethora of journey men midfielders (Blakely, Acres, Aish, Conca, Tucker, Colyer, Valente Bewley, Banfield).

It's been said before but there has been some pretty poor list management over the last few years.
Have lost McCarthy, Kersten and Hogan as key forwards and replaced them with a hail mary rookie pick in Josh Treacy.
Lobb is more a backup ruckman, and however good Sam Sturt will be (if not injured) he is 189cm and doesn't really have the frame to crash packs.
Meanwhile, we have 20 billion backman and a plethora of journey men midfielders (Blakely, Acres, Aish, Conca, Tucker, Colyer, Valente Bewley, Banfield).

We’ve undergone a full rebuild and come out without a forward line.

We delist list cloggers at the end of the year, just to pick up another bunch of list cloggers in the trade and rookie draft. Circle work.

I would have been happy to overpay for a top draft pick at the trade table, in order to secure a forward in the last few years. At least that would have showed we had a plan.

Being as this *isn't* a thread about how we didn't build a forward line, but rather how to build a forward line

i like this forward line
switta tabs crowden
walters treacy sturt
I liked this. Switta, Sturt and Crowden.
Walters, Tabs and Treacy.

Sturt might be ready this week and Walters is now 2 weeks and Treacy is another week.
Soon enough for the more patient types, we've got a forward line building. We will have Darcy being useful down there sometimes.

I think we should buck up a bit.

Cox has to play forward. Great hands. Fingers crossed Hamling gets up. Logue comes in and takes Cox’s spot down back
Yeah Cox fills in for Treacy. It's who covers for Crowden and Walters. It's not the best situation to be in but it is only temporary as long as we don't get more forward line injuries. :/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah Cox fills in for Treacy. It's who covers for Crowden and Walters. It's not the best situation to be in but it is only temporary as long as we don't get more forward line injuries. :/
Frederick’s available this week? Walters is a test, I’m guessing. Not far off. Colyer and Henry will be out this week

I think the controlled kicking/keep posession at all costs plan can work. But only if you nail all those kicks. Watcing WCE v GC yesterday, their field kicking is just so much better than ours that they can maintain posession as they move the ball from side-to-side looking for an opening.

Nothing kills the posession game more than 2 or 3 short kicks across half-back but then the next misses its target. The oppo's set midfield zone then grabs the poor kick an overwhlems the few isolated defenders in the D50. That's when the short game looks foolish.

If you have guys like Hughes or Conca or even Acres playing the short kick game then it is only a matter of time before it all goes to gumbo.
To me it ends up with a painfully slow transition and a crowded forward entry (unless it falls apart before then).

We would end up trying to kick it to a double teamed Taberner every time.

Everyone crapping on the forward line when we lost 2 KPF's before Round 1 and 2 small forwards. At a minimum 3 of which would have been in the 22.

Wake up.

There's nothing we can do about the injuries or the stupid ******* WAFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back