Expansion How to fix Brisbane and Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you really think the media rights go for far enough into the future for the Northern clubs to have any real influence over them?

They don't run for decades after all, and the kind of ratings the AFL gets in those states are unlikely to even pay for the cost of the broadcast, even without the payments to the AFL, let alone making up their share of the money the AFL gets, and media companies aren't stupid enough to think that would change significantly before the end of this rights deal.

The kinds of ratings the AFL gets in the frontier states is what is called "new money". New money is what pays for all the good stuff clubs enjoy right now, and is what has kept clubs like the Tigers and the Dogs alive these past 10 years. You can live in your little world of Victorian Football Entitlement all you like but if it wasn't for the Northern clubs, Richmond would have folded long ago.

Just a bit of a random thought or 2 on here...

Back in 2006, no Victorian side made the Prelim and The AFL had an Investigation About it.

Both Freo and West coast finished in the bottom 4 in 2001 yet the AFL did have an investigation about it didn't they? Both teams made finals in 2003. Both WA sides finished in the Bottom 4 again in 2008 as well. Freo made finals in 2010 and eagles made finals in 2011.

The point is both teams were rebuilding. If your team finishes in the bottom 4, you are likely to get a top 4 pick. Usually, most teams would use a top 4 pick on the best talent available. Or... in freos case from 1994-2006, if Freo had a top 10 pick, that would be used to trade for an experienced player to help the team go up the ladder.

I look at Brisbane and Gold Coast right now. I will be Brutally honest, they are not as bad as.... The demons of 2007-2014, especially around that 2012-13 era when they had the legendary coach in Mark Neeld. It Took the demons a while but they are slowly moving up the ladder and you could make an argument that they should of made finals in 2017.

Hell, both of these sides are not as Garbage as say... the Swans of 1992-4 where the swans had 3 wins in 1992, 1 win in 1993 and 4 wins in 1994.

Brisbane has excuses as they have had players pillaged from other clubs. Gold Coast on the other hand, has had a lot of concessions. Definitely a lot more concessions than Brisbane of 1987, Freo of 1995 and Port in 1997.

I don't believe this crap about Gold coast being a dead zone for all sporting clubs. What happened to all those picks the suns had in the 2010 draft? All those 18 year olds should be in their prime as 26 year olds this year? Yeah guys like Bennell and Dixon were traded off But the Suns should be aiming for finals this season.

Just a bit of a random thought or 2 on here...

Back in 2006, no Victorian side made the Prelim and The AFL had an Investigation About it.

Both Freo and West coast finished in the bottom 4 in 2001 yet the AFL did have an investigation about it didn't they? Both teams made finals in 2003. Both WA sides finished in the Bottom 4 again in 2008 as well. Freo made finals in 2010 and eagles made finals in 2011.

The point is both teams were rebuilding. If your team finishes in the bottom 4, you are likely to get a top 4 pick. Usually, most teams would use a top 4 pick on the best talent available. Or... in freos case from 1994-2006, if Freo had a top 10 pick, that would be used to trade for an experienced player to help the team go up the ladder.

I look at Brisbane and Gold Coast right now. I will be Brutally honest, they are not as bad as.... The demons of 2007-2014, especially around that 2012-13 era when they had the legendary coach in Mark Neeld. It Took the demons a while but they are slowly moving up the ladder and you could make an argument that they should of made finals in 2017.

Hell, both of these sides are not as Garbage as say... the Swans of 1992-4 where the swans had 3 wins in 1992, 1 win in 1993 and 4 wins in 1994.

Brisbane has excuses as they have had players pillaged from other clubs. Gold Coast on the other hand, has had a lot of concessions. Definitely a lot more concessions than Brisbane of 1987, Freo of 1995 and Port in 1997.

I don't believe this crap about Gold coast being a dead zone for all sporting clubs. What happened to all those picks the suns had in the 2010 draft? All those 18 year olds should be in their prime as 26 year olds this year? Yeah guys like Bennell and Dixon were traded off But the Suns should be aiming for finals this season.

From 2010 there is only Swallow, Lynch and Day left on the list and two of those haven’t played regular footballer in the last 3 years, so the 2010 picks didn’t turn out well for us. Out of the 17 year olds we picked up before we entered the AFL we only have Rory Thompson left and let’s be honest he is a fringe player with terrible skills at best. 2011 draft wasn’t much better for us either trading away pick 4 for O’meara as an under age recruit. As you can see we are along way away from playing finals we basically started again last year by having 4 top 10 picks and then wasted this years draft which gives me no optimism for the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a plan to buy the new Porsche 918. I am just waiting for funding as well. The plan is the easy part, but it is useless without the funding.

I don't know many details, don't really concern myself with things like that. But apparently if the liberals won they were going to fund it. What the situation is now I don't really know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back