How to fix the broken Pies...

Remove this Banner Ad

Mason Cox is now one of our biggest liabilities.

With Roughead stepping up and doing a fantastic job, time to revisit Moore forward once he returns.
I'm of the opinion Moore is a better defender but i think we would see a net improvement of 1-2 goals per game with Moore playing as key forward over Cox.

Obviously dependent on Roughead and Howe's availability.

I'm done with watching Cox fly for the ball with 1 hand.
If we ever get some luck and can field Roughead, Langdon and Scharenbwrg together, I’d like to see Moore and Cox play together up forward with Mihocek as the supporting third tall. A lot of folk point fingers at Cox when he’s off his game but Mihocek is just as costly when he plays poorly too. Mihocek is simply too inconsistent to be intimidating. Playing Moore and Cox together would draw attention away from Cox and it could let Mihocek be more creative and play how Josh Thomas did last season as that last cast forward, as a crumbing forward with efficient leading prowess.

Sit Cox in the forward 20m of the ground with Stephenson and either Mihocek/Hoskin-Elliott playing around him with Moore occupying CHF with De Goey and Mihocek/WHE/Brown around him all capable as playmakers and finishers in front of goal.

I know only too well - I'm a contractor - recruiting is bulls++t Central most of the time
Actually, you've reminded me... so long ago that I'd forgotten, but in the late 1970s I worked as a "consultant" in an employment agency in London. I was very, very bad indeed at it, and working on commission. it's the nearest I've ever come to starvation.

Please don't say two... I've had a fu**en lifetime of 2 with this club, we need to act, recruit and play like a superpower... if the Bulldogs had our resources they'd have 30 flags

And here I was thinking the Doggies operated under the same TPP and FD tax as we do, got the same options via the draft. Just what advantages do you think our resources give us that would so advantage the Doggies?

If we ever get some luck and can field Roughead, Langdon and Scharenbwrg together, I’d like to see Moore and Cox play together up forward with Mihocek as the supporting third tall. A lot of folk point fingers at Cox when he’s off his game but Mihocek is just as costly when he plays poorly too. Mihocek is simply too inconsistent to be intimidating. Playing Moore and Cox together would draw attention away from Cox and it could let Mihocek be more creative and play how Josh Thomas did last season as that last cast forward, as a crumbing forward with efficient leading prowess.

Sit Cox in the forward 20m of the ground with Stephenson and either Mihocek/Hoskin-Elliott playing around him with Moore occupying CHF with De Goey and Mihocek/WHE/Brown around him all capable as playmakers and finishers in front of goal.
Great ideas. I like your suggestion. Sounds as dangerous as any forward line going around.

If we play finals should be forced to comeback via the VFL.

Sorry Jayden, you can’t be betting on your team, cop a suspension and be holidaying and expect everything is Dandy. An example must be made for the group.
VFL return is a valid point, but respectfully disagree, suspension and fine were unprecedented, plus pressure of public scrutiny, kids probably had his whack already

Draft players with pace and elite ball use would be a great start.
Maybe invest in some key position players, particularly a forward or 2. (Hard to do when we keep trading away 1st round picks for midfielders)
Find a new training ground because i'm convinced the one we have is too firm.
Take a gamble on some indigenous talent.

Sorry Jayden, you can’t be betting on your team, cop a suspension and be holidaying and expect everything is Dandy. An example must be made for the group.
Our VFL side won't be playing finals, this is the program the club made for him, he's done nothing wrong post suspension.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The holiday was part of the plan by the club, Buckley said so today on SEN, he is being put through some intense training blocks, it's all part of the plan, he won't be playing VFL

We are in a spot where we are assured of an elimination final.. there's absolutely no need to be risk-averse in any of our h&a games now. If the results leading in to the finals don't go our way.. so be f it. I'd much rather us play from 8th spot with a style that's exciting and hard to counteract.. than play from 4th spot with this slow boring bs style that will inevitably see us struggle.

Set it up for the return of Moore and Stephenson.. and let's go for it.

We are in a spot where we are assured of an elimination final.. there's absolutely no need to be risk-averse in any of our h&a games now. If the results leading in to the finals don't go our way.. so be f it. I'd much rather us play from 8th spot with a style that's exciting and hard to counteract.. than play from 4th spot with this slow boring bs style that will inevitably see us struggle.

Set it up for the return of Moore and Stephenson.. and let's go for it.

Yep 100%, I'd rather go down hooking.

Watching the team play as they have this year has brought very little joy. Most of our wins (bar a couple) have resulted in a smile, a shrug, and hope that we will fire at the business end of the year. This is the business end; let's take some risks with selection and on the ground.

Hard to have flair when you're kicking to nothing, we recruited this problem instead of a key forward

I can think of younger days
When living for my life
Was everything a man could want to do
I could never see tomorrow
But I was never told about the sorrow

images

How can you mend a broken heart?
How can you stop the rain from falling down?
How can you stop the sun from shining?
What makes the world go round?
How can you mend this broken man?
How can a loser ever win?
Please help me mend my broken heart
And let me live again

images

I can still feel the breeze
That rustles through the trees
And misty memories of days gone by
We could never see tomorrow
But no one said a word about the sorrow

images

How can you mend a broken heart?
How can you stop the rain from falling down
How can you stop the sun from shining
What makes the world go round
And how can you mend this broken man?
How can a loser ever win?
And let me live again
La la la la la la, la la la la
La la la la la la, la la la la
And let me live again
Da da da da
Da da da da, da da da da da, da

So I'm at the point where I've pretty much given up on this year (as contenders). Which is bad, because we've got ageing stars. This was the year we should have peaked.

Why can't we be fixed?

Wells
Reid
Moore
Elliot
Beams
Langdon

All these should have been part of our best team. I'd take injuries to 3 of them as fair but not all six. The problem is, they are some of our elite players. We can cover our role-players, but not these.

Then, we have the problem that a good number will retire and those that don't will be in decline. This includes Pendlebury, Sidebottom, etc.

So this becomes a real dilemma: what to do in the short term? To try one more year or to take one step back to go two forward? I.e. To try to get some more early draft picks somehow and hope they come through in 2-3 years.

So I'm at the point where I've pretty much given up on this year (as contenders). Which is bad, because we've got ageing stars. This was the year we should have peaked.

Why can't we be fixed?

Wells
Reid
Moore
Elliot
Beams
Langdon

All these should have been part of our best team. I'd take injuries to 3 of them as fair but not all six. The problem is, they are some of our elite players. We can cover our role-players, but not these.

Then, we have the problem that a good number will retire and those that don't will be in decline. This includes Pendlebury, Sidebottom, etc.

So this becomes a real dilemma: what to do in the short term? To try one more year or to take one step back to go two forward? I.e. To try to get some more early draft picks somehow and hope they come through in 2-3 years.
In the short term i would be focused on getting Elliot, Moore, Stevo and even Wells up and running for the finals then having a crack at winning the flag.

Get them back (even excluding Wells for now) and the team looks pretty good on paper and could take out anyone on their day. Now if we can build some form before then, look out!

5 of the top 9 teams have gone 2-3 since the bye. Season still wide open.

In the short term i would be focused on getting Elliot, Moore, Stevo and even Wells up and running for the finals then having a crack at winning the flag.

Get them back (even excluding Wells for now) and the team looks pretty good on paper and could take out anyone on their day. Now if we can build some form before then, look out!

5 of the top 9 teams have gone 2-3 since the bye. Season still wide open.
I love the sentiment but that time has just about run out, they have to be match fit and firing not just available

I love the sentiment but that time has just about run out, they have to be match fit and firing not just available
They will be!
Elliot back this week. He will be cherry ripe by the finals. Still finding his touch.
Stevo back week 1 of finals. Straight in and will be firing.
Moore will be ready by finals. It is very different to last year - it was a proper hammy in round 20 that killed his season. A lesser hammy (he was jogging after the WC game - that isn't something you can do with a bad one) will see him back for a few games before finals.
I have a feeling the karma bus will deliver us Wells for the finals. And we play him.

Doesn't hurt to be optimistic. Still hoping for a threesome.

They will be!
Elliot back this week. He will be cherry ripe by the finals. Still finding his touch.
Stevo back week 1 of finals. Straight in and will be firing.
Moore will be ready by finals. It is very different to last year - it was a proper hammy in round 20 that killed his season. A lesser hammy (he was jogging after the WC game - that isn't something you can do with a bad one) will see him back for a few games before finals.
I have a feeling the karma bus will deliver us Wells for the finals. And we play him.
I'm holding you to all of that

Eyes.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back