How to fix the broken Pies...

atomiser

Debutant
Mar 28, 2019
Out West
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's time to play Greenwood as a tagger again, It's good to back our midfield in but they havn't really produced all year. it seems that every team we play they have a midfielder who has a break out game. Would like to see Aish play thomas role up forward and hopefully Howe returns next week to play down back. hopefully adams comes back next week for daicos and bring in noble for Phillips

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No 3peat (Ninth)mond Minnows
Mosquito fleet forwardline

Stevo Mihocek WHE
Elliott De Goey JT

Last edited:
Simple, play direct football. Don’t over posses the ball. Move it quickly through the middle instead of going out wide every time.
Clear it out of the back line.

That is when we play our Best when we play Direct Footy and not Muck around with it

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Have watched a couple of other games today, we are miles off being a cohesive unit at the moment.
My query is why we have obviously changed our style to try and emulate WCE hold and control, if you want to beat them I would have thought a different style would be the way to go? Maybe the style that served us well last year with a few tweaks? Not sure what’s going on to be honest.
Hinkley dropped some big names at PA and got a good response, also watching their young guys carve it up is food for thought.

PA very poor last week - the high pressure game can’t be sustained week to week. Great effort against GEEl poor effort last week and a great effort today.
I think they’ll drop off next week.

kickitolachie

Nogrey
Sep 19, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man U
There is no miracle happening here. Football clubs talk the talk 'doesn't matter who's playing, one soldier out another comes in, gets their opportunity. Play their role and believe in the game plan.' The reality is some players play their role a lot better than others.

CFC current available list has been stripped of the talent that makes it a top four side.
Stephenson
Beams
Adams
Howe
Langdon
Reid
Wells
Elliott (has only just returned from Injury)
Murphy

No easy fix.
This is the essence of it. The tipping point came when Howe and Stephenson went out. Neither are replaceable. The players last year that dragged us through the back line losses were Howe and Langdon. Both are out, and the backs can't cover the loss of marking.
Our midfield was a problem for a lot of last year with underperforming. Now Adams, Beams and Wells are gone, Seir only a few games, Sidebottom is out of form and Pendlebury is tagged out of it. Brown, Daicos and an out of form Thomas can't fill these gaps.
The forwards can't replace Stephenson, De Goey can't take a set shot, Thomas is out of form and on the ball a lot anyway. Cox can't succeed as long as he is allowed to be pushed in the back and held with impunity. Hoskin-Elliott covers some of Stephenson's jobs, but is not a complete replacement.

In short, too many top players have been replaced by reasonable to good players. The team confidence that allowed the expansive play of last year is gone, and can not be expected to reappear suddenly as the injured ones are drip fed back into the team. The loss to Hawthorn was painful but not surprising. There is little point in attacking the players that we fielded. They can only do what they can do. Rather, bemoan the injury list, the AFL's dopey rule roundabout and the professionalism of the coaches that stymies any attempt to open the game up. We can't do anything about any of these either.

Apr 13, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's time to play Greenwood as a tagger again, It's good to back our midfield in but they havn't really produced all year. it seems that every team we play they have a midfielder who has a break out game. Would like to see Aish play thomas role up forward and hopefully Howe returns next week to play down back. hopefully adams comes back next week for daicos and bring in noble for Phillips
Agree with this, particularly when there is a clear tagging option. Add to this, could we seriously do any worse in our contested/clearance efforts with Levi in that mix?
It's history now, but i was extremely surprised he was not used, say after half time, to tag Cunnington. At this point Sier was out of the game, seemed the obvious move to me to try to bolster our midfield grunt and take the edge of Cunnington's output.
We have enough medium sized defenders to cover moving Levi, particularly now IQ is in the team for at a minimum, a string of matches.

Darkyprotector

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Mosquito fleet forwardline

Stevo Mihocek WHE
Elliott De Goey JT

Lol
Try this
Side bum Mayne whe

Atu cox de goey

Obvious

Mayne plays on McGovern
Sack plays on darling
Roughy on Kennedy
Maynard to wing

Aish roughy Moore
Crisp sack quaynour

Maynard seir Phillips
Grundy treloer pendels

Side bum Mayne whe
Atu cox de goey

Shaz brown Daicos Elliott

Adams comes in for Daicos
Howe comes back for sack
Wills 1 more week vfl brown

Then
Aish roughy Moore
Crisp Howe quaynour

Maynard seir Phillips
Grundy Adams treleor

Side bum Mayne whe
Atu cox de goey

Shaz Elliott pendels wills

That's how it should look

Darkyprotector

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is the essence of it. The tipping point came when Howe and Stephenson went out. Neither are replaceable. The players last year that dragged us through the back line losses were Howe and Langdon. Both are out, and the backs can't cover the loss of marking.
Our midfield was a problem for a lot of last year with underperforming. Now Adams, Beams and Wells are gone, Seir only a few games, Sidebottom is out of form and Pendlebury is tagged out of it. Brown, Daicos and an out of form Thomas can't fill these gaps.
The forwards can't replace Stephenson, De Goey can't take a set shot, Thomas is out of form and on the ball a lot anyway. Cox can't succeed as long as he is allowed to be pushed in the back and held with impunity. Hoskin-Elliott covers some of Stephenson's jobs, but is not a complete replacement.

In short, too many top players have been replaced by reasonable to good players. The team confidence that allowed the expansive play of last year is gone, and can not be expected to reappear suddenly as the injured ones are drip fed back into the team. The loss to Hawthorn was painful but not surprising. There is little point in attacking the players that we fielded. They can only do what they can do. Rather, bemoan the injury list, the AFL's dopey rule roundabout and the professionalism of the coaches that stymies any attempt to open the game up. We can't do anything about any of these either.
Agree

We need to change it up
Maynard more offensive
Wills must play
Sack comes in for Howe
Atu for stepho

Thomas and Mihochek out
Mayne to Chf defensive role

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No 3peat (Ninth)mond Minnows
Lol
Try this
Side bum Mayne whe

Atu cox de goey

Obvious

Mayne plays on McGovern
Sack plays on darling
Roughy on Kennedy
Maynard to wing

Aish roughy Moore
Crisp sack quaynour

Maynard seir Phillips
Grundy treloer pendels

Side bum Mayne whe
Atu cox de goey

Shaz brown Daicos Elliott

Adams comes in for Daicos
Howe comes back for sack
Wills 1 more week vfl brown

Then
Aish roughy Moore
Crisp Howe quaynour

Maynard seir Phillips
Grundy Adams treleor

Side bum Mayne whe
Atu cox de goey

Shaz Elliott pendels wills

That's how it should look
No.gif

timokane

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Varcoe
Thomas
Aish
Greenwood
Goldsack
Broomhead
Sidebottom
Pendles
Cox
Reid
Howe
Treloar

Buckley 50/50 to keep job

Clean out the football department in particular list Managment fitness condition and get rid of derick hind

Need to prepare for life after pendles and quite possibly Buckley

Eddie McGuire to step down too from President role in say 2021 or 2022

Next flag not with the current list as it is I’ll say 2022 more like it

2018 was more like 2019 is now and 2019 like 2018 how that ended up

Time to make a rebuild again

Malthouse would have got us another flag Buckley has had too long time only highlight premlim v richmond 2018 and that is it.

This year disaster but Collingwood has the lowest successful strike rate of any team for wins in the months of July and August go ok March April and May June starts the s**t July onwards is where they hit the skids

Collingwood if to miss finals membership will decrease and Eddie McGuire you have corrupted the club too much and have taken us for granted for far too long time to give it up.

Time to become a club not a company

Stop the corruption

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
Varcoe
Thomas
Aish
Greenwood
Goldsack
Broomhead
Sidebottom
Pendles
Cox
Reid
Howe
Treloar

Buckley 50/50 to keep job

Clean out the football department in particular list Managment fitness condition and get rid of derick hind

Need to prepare for life after pendles and quite possibly Buckley

Eddie McGuire to step down too from President role in say 2021 or 2022

Next flag not with the current list as it is I’ll say 2022 more like it

2018 was more like 2019 is now and 2019 like 2018 how that ended up

Time to make a rebuild again

Malthouse would have got us another flag Buckley has had too long time only highlight premlim v richmond 2018 and that is it.

This year disaster but Collingwood has the lowest successful strike rate of any team for wins in the months of July and August go ok March April and May June starts the s**t July onwards is where they hit the skids

Collingwood if to miss finals membership will decrease and Eddie McGuire you have corrupted the club too much and have taken us for granted for far too long time to give it up.

Time to become a club not a company

Stop the corruption

finally, a balanced overall plan...well done..

which reminds me that it's time to post on the carlton board...

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
The Maggies are currently broken.

Our lack of depth in the forward line and midfield has been exposed. Also we have a bunch of players that keep getting games who are really under-performing.
But one area we actually have an abundance of good players is in the backline. In fact with Scharenberg back, Howe due back soon, Quaynor given his chance etc, we actually have a surplus of good backs. I think we can fix the team by re-purposing some of this talent to other positions.

A thought experiment:

Howe can play forward. He played as a forward for Melbourne before coming to Collingwood.
Aish is a strong mark, he previously played as a mid for Brisbane, maybe he'd go ok on a forward Flank pushing into the midfield, or starting in the midfield?
Quaynor is fast and likes to run and has a good long kick... play him on a wing?
Goldsack has been a reliable defender for years. Bring him back.
In addition we have Noble to debut. So he can play wing or forward flank?
We still have Langdon to come back too, but he might be a while.

To my eyes players like Thomas, Cox, Brown, Daicos, Varco are all either under-performing or not AFL standard. So they can go out to make way.
I think we have plenty of depth in the positions you speak of, it has been seriously tested though...not many teams would get by with our injury profile...some of it we bring on ourselves with the injury prone types we have on the list.

Goldsack In is a no brainer for me. Howe forward another good option.

I think there is no hope in hell that anybody will beat West Coast this year in a grand final, let’s prepare for next year by bringing in a key forward to replace a retiring Reid...Reid is and has been quality but his body is cooked.

Pendlebury to half back, Sudebottom forward. Let Crisp and De Goey have a crack in the middle.
I don't think Pendles can play either role, but I'd be real worried about him in the back half. He lacks pace to handle any smalls & is weak overhead & likely to be exposed there too by anyone his size or taller. He is a mid & that's about it. Luckily for us he is a damn good one. I think Sidebottom forward is a good move. Maynard to the midfield is also a thought. We lack inside mids & he would play that role well I reckon.

ColinMochrie

Club Legend
Aug 31, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
May be a bit off topic but having just done the ladder predictor it seems a lot of top 8/top 4 teams are playing each other at the end of this season. With no team being consistent this year this gives us some opportunities to catch up.

I have us fishing a game clear in 4th with a loss against the eagles and the giants. I had given us wins over the lower clubs (although the way the last few weeks have gone that isn't a given) and hopeful wins against the tigers (I hope when can win one of eagles, giants and tigers) and the crows.

So top 4 is still there, we just need to get some injured players back and some form. I hope we can turn this around at the right time of the year.

I don't have much hope next week, but every other match this year we are a chance. Hopefully just a form slump and not the finished product.

cakewalk_1

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Fitzroy Stars FC.
That is when we play our Best when we play Direct Footy and not Muck around with it
We have the talent, so I’m confused why we play the boundary lines and move the ball slowly.
We’ve let other teams dominate against us by playing the corridors at every opportunity. This is what has kept them in games longer.
I recall one recent game where it took 11 possessions to move the ball from full back to centre half back. The next possession was a turn over and it cost us a goal. It took one kick from the opposing team to pick a player 30m out. Zapped all our energy.

Nuwanda

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just run and move the ball quickly.

I’m fairly sure that’s what will change our form.

JC83

Senior List
May 6, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Shaz Roughhead Howe
Maynard Moore IQ
Crisp Pendles Sidebottom
Grundy Adams Treloar
Elliot Mihocek WHE
Thomas Cox Degoey

Daicos Brown Greenwood Aish

If we can get back Adams and Howe id like to see this setup with Crisp on a wing. He's in form and has the pace we need.

Maynard and IQ provide much needed run off half back. Greenwood in the side purely to tag, otherwise it's Sier or Mayne depending on opponent match ups.

Mayne is a great defensive type although always slows our movement. It's time to release the shackles.

Phillips also left out. Questionable disposal, lacks pace, and chooses the wrong option too often.

Back