How to get more touches?

Remove this Banner Ad

Demand the ball allot more I guess but you've probably heard that one allot.

I find opposition players generally guard the front of the pack rather than the back so hang out back sometimes for a cheapy.

I have very good skills and fitness but barely get any of the ball
Don't focus on getting the ball, do all the one percenters and get involved without the footy.

1. Go to the position on the ground where the ball has just been. A lot of defenders and midfielders in lower levels just get the ball and hurriedly kick it back from where it came.

2. Play the 4 corners of the centre square

I have very good skills and fitness but barely get any of the ball
What position you mainly play?
And how old- experienced are you?

If on ball, the above post re using the 4 points of square is a good one for more experienced players but that may only help you get closer to the ball /contest.

Play practice games in a really confined area to forces lots of contests, tackling, quick handballs etc, it pretty much forces you to learn contested inside footy quickly, sink or swim style in terms of finding the footy before anyone else, you just have to get in there first and get it...an example is a basketball court with at least 12 v 12 that only allows hand balling (with small soccer style goals) it can pretty brutal esp when you play the game for a while and players tire.

And If you're trying to play on ball for example, it takes time esp if you haven't played as a young junior, so for a few weeks at least consider spending the first half of each game tailgating an opposition midfielder , just follow them to the contest then compete against them once ball is up for grabs or they get it.

After half time you can perhaps chase the ball yourself and see whT you've learnt but just learn from other players when and how to run to either win a hard ball, loose ball, link up or know when to run into free space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back