How to kick a ball further

extractasam

Team Captain
Feb 11, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
One that helped me was making contact with the ball much lower to the ground so the follow through is actually doing something and not just there for show. Roughead is a good example of this.

extractasam

Team Captain
Feb 11, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
May also be a reason to why goalkeepers seem to get so much distance/power when they strike the ball as they strike just after it pops up off the ground and bring all momentum through the ball at its strongest point.

freddy mercury

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
North Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Jacksonville
Dont worry about kicking further, kick on your opposite foot before even worrying about it.

When I was 22-23 I could not use my right foot, every pre season I always go on the left one on the right. Now, 25 I am a decent kick, only 30 meters on my right left 40, if that.

Kick far literally means nothing.

i am the jester

Draftee
Apr 22, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
How old are you and how far can you kick?

Not everyone needs to be able to kick the ball 50m, coaches would much prefer you have high accuracy kicking 35-40m.

I'm not sure how to explain it but kicking the ball further is lot about here you hit the ball on your foot and the ball, often I find when I try to belt the ball it doesn't go as far compared to when I try and time it right.

I'm 16, and i can kick accurately to about 35 meters, i can kick up to 55 but its not always accurate

Liam Jahn

Draftee
Sep 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm only 12 and can kick a football 45 - 50 metres with a drop punt and no wind at all :p:p

However am also 178 cm tall and about 70 kg so it all balances out.

The things that are most important from my perspective are Ball drop, Timing, Following through and Size of leg swing.
The ball drop and Timing go together because if you get a good ball drop the timing will be easier and it will go relativley straight.
Following through is good because it allows maximum leg swing increasing kicking distance.

SO generally with a good dropped ball, well timed point of impact and a good swing of the leg with a follow through you should add at least another 5 - 10 metres.
im like the exact same age height age and weight as u😂

iameviljez

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
At your age, focus on timing. You'll notice that sometimes players drop the ball slightly to the side of their leg to get the extra swing when going for distance.

Distance comes with growth.

Aeglos

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2016
Croydon station
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
A lot of people slice at the ball to kick further, this creates an adverse effect. It's best to kick with a straight leg aimed at the target.
Nah if we're talking about distance it's all about achieving maximal foot velocity.
Biomechanically you'll achieve this kicking across your body with a really bent knee then having your knee completely straighten at the exact time your foot hits the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Top Bottom