How to lose 20kg

Remove this Banner Ad

tombomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Thought I may as well post my story here and give a few thoughts as well.

I've always been overweight. Fluctuated between slightly overweight and very overweight for as long as I can remember.

I have tried dieting so many times, some would last a few months, some a few hours. Most were based around some kind of fasting.

Usually, if I did see some results or stick with it past a few weeks, something would happen that would trigger me to give up. Could be a comment from someone or something else like seeing myself in a photo that would make me think I wasn't making any progress and then give up. I always think of that scene from The Simpsons where Homer loses weight and is all proud and Mr Burns says he is the fattest thing he has ever scene and Homer runs off to the fridge.

Anyway, I'm around 5'8. 10 years ago, I was in the low 80kgs. A couple of years ago, I got a payout from work and was around 102kgs.

After spending a lovely time not working (until April 2021), I stood on the scales on 24 June 2021 and weighed 112.7kg. I thought, okay I need to try again and started another diet.

On Sunday, I weighed 97kgs.

I still have a long way to go but these are the key things that are working for me.

1) Getting a calorie/kj counting app
2) Weighing myself everyday to stay motivated.
3) Portion size
4) Planning ahead, knowing when I typically overeat or eat junk. This doesn't mean I don't do those things, but if I plan ahead and avoid eating junk at other times, I can look forward and enjoy them more.

Last edited:

cartwright

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2007
here
AFL Club
St Kilda
Thought I may as well post my story here and give a few thoughts as well.

I've always been overweight. Fluctuated between slightly overweight and very overweight for as long as I can remember.

I have tried dieting so many times, some would last a few months, some a few hours. Most were based around some kind of fasting.

Usually if I did see some results or stick with it past a few weeks, something would happen that would trigger me to give up. Could be a comment from someone or something else like seeing myself in a photo, that would make me think I wasn't making any progress and then give up. I always think of that scene from The Simpsons where Homer loses weight and is all proud and Mr Burns says he is the fattest thing he has ever scene and Homer runs off to the fridge.

Anyway, I'm around 5'8. 10 years ago, I was in the low 80kgs. A couple of years ago, I got a payout from work and was around 102kgs.

After spending a lovely time not working (until April 2021), I stood on the scales on 24 June 2021 and weighed 112.7kg. I thought, okay I need to try again and started another diet.

On Sunday, I weighed 97kgs.

I still have a long way to go but these are the key things that are working for me.

1) Getting a calorie/kj counting app
2) Weighing myself everyday
3) Portion size
4) Planning ahead, knowing when I typically overeat or eat junk.
sounds like a much more sustainable approach.
while fasting can get you started - changing habits is what will actually be a long term solution..

tombomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
sounds like a much more sustainable approach.
while fasting can get you started - changing habits is what will actually be a long term solution..
Fasting also makes dieting a completely unbearable experience. All day, all you think about is how hungry you are.

The most promising for me over the past few months is I haven't had to cut the things I enjoy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad