How to lose 20kg

Remove this Banner Ad

Xanthippus

Team Captain
Oct 7, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
hi guys,

during isolation I have gained 20kg. I feel down and depressed.

whats the best way to lose 20kg and how long will it take me to get back into the shape I was in back in march?

thank you.

Sorry you were feeling depressed.im always around for a chat if you need one. Try to start incorporating workouts into your weekly routine. I'd recommend starting slow. Maybe two a week of cardio. Walking for an hour or running for 5-15 minutes a few times a week. If you have weights at home start lifting or strength exercises such as pushups.

I recommend running backwards. I think that's a great workout. Burns alot of calories.

Most importantly you have to eat better. You should be aiming to lose 20 kgs over three + months. A kg a week is good. Anymore is not usually good. Can leave you open to gaining weight back. It's what you eat/regular exercise which is going to help you lose weight.

Don’t rush it. If you can incorporate what the above posters have said re fasting and dropping the carbs especially the booze if you drink. Zero is a great app for intermittent fasting. Quite easy to do if you can finish up eating and drinking by 7 pm.

and go easy on yourself. If you can do a little bit extra a day such as a walk. If you have a blow out just get back on the bike again the next day.

All the best mate

Ultimately a calorie deficit will drive weight loss, their is no magic solutions. How you achieve this calorie deficit is up to, simply missing junk foods/alcohol etc will help you lose some weight initially. My advice find a routine/system around exercise and eating, something you can stick to long term. If you can’t seem yourself never drinking again then learn to have a responsible amount, similar to junk food.

thanks lads...

I don't drink much.. I have the occasional scotch sonf coke but I do eat A LOT of junk food. always have. thing is I used to train 4-5 days a week now I'm lucky to train once a week.

is it time if you don't eat after 6pm it really helps with the weight losss?

thanks lads...

I don't drink much.. I have the occasional scotch sonf coke but I do eat A LOT of junk food. always have. thing is I used to train 4-5 days a week now I'm lucky to train once a week.

Write your goal on a wall/fridge etc.

Then 16 - 8 combined with Keto. Tough it out and stick to it by not beating yourself up when you slip. If you slip, know you are doing it, and limit it. (eg; if you have a big mac, dont have a big mac meal, and remember you cost yourself a day) We all fail. Success comes to those who get back up. That 20kg will be gone in 6 - 8 weeks easy.

thanks lads...

there is no magic

a Big Mac a 6pm is the same calories as a Big Mac at 6am or 2pm

the “magic” to not eating after 6pm is it restricts people’s calories because by not allowing themselves to eat for a period time invariably restricts calories

intermittent fasting and/or keto is magic either

there is no magic

a Big Mac a 6pm is the same calories as a Big Mac at 6am or 2pm

the “magic” to not eating after 6pm is it restricts people’s calories because by not allowing themselves to eat for a period time invariably restricts calories

intermittent fasting and/or keto is magic either
You've said so much that is wrong in this small quote, it is obvious you shouldn't give advice. From Your very 1st sentence it shows so much lack of insight of dietary science, there is no use even debunking the rest.

But i will explain your 1st bit; Yes the calories are the same, but burn rate differs depending on time of day.

20kgs in 6-8 weeks? big call

Better to do it over a year.

That way you can change your lifestyle and gradually only need to lose 0.4kgs a week average.
I was a boxer years ago. Read a lot of diet 'science' back then. It came down to calorie counting, but i was always into shortcuts. Which meant fasting. The 'science' has changed and carbs are the enemy now, not fats. But we know there are good and bad fats.

Im pushing 60 now and recently lost about 30kg. Indeed, it took about 6 months, but im fairly sedentary and just used a 16 - 8 diet, low carb, not strictly keto. When i was in my 20s early 30s id work on 2kg a week weight loss. I did it through hard work and calorie restriction (food denial).

The ol mate that started this thread no doubt is younger than me, so his metabolism is faster and will get a faster result than i would just through age and activity. I wish there was a keto diet when i was 20yo, or if there was, there was no internet to speak of. 'Fit for life' was the 1st diet i used that worked. And that was in my 30s for my last 3 fights. Only fruit till lunch then food combining the rest of the day. (dont mix carbs and protien). I found id want steak or chicken with salad or vegs, and was basically low carb except for the fruit till lunch time.

Anyway, 16 - 8 is great, i do it easy, and i just cut out processed carbs, and rice, bread, pasta. Do have some chocolate sometimes. good for the soul..

but burn rate differs depending on time of day.

If it does then it's to do with a person's activity level at that time of day, not that *insert arbitrary time point* has magical properties.
And even if your body does use more energy at 5pm vs 5am because of differences in activity levels it's irrelevant to whether you're in a daily calorie deficit/surplus.
saj_21 is right, if you eat 2000 calories a day it isn't going to make a difference whether it's 10 meals of 200cal, 5 x400cal, 4 x 500cal, 2 x 1000cal or 1 x 2000cal.
And again, if your 1 x 2000cal is eaten at 5pm or 5am it isn't going to make a difference to whether you're in an overall calorie deficit/surplus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it does then it's to do with a person's activity level at that time of day, not that *insert arbitrary time point* has magical properties.
And even if your body does use more energy at 5pm vs 5am because of differences in activity levels it's irrelevant to whether you're in a daily calorie deficit/surplus.
saj_21 is right, if you eat 2000 calories a day it isn't going to make a difference whether it's 10 meals of 200cal, 5 x400cal, 4 x 500cal, 2 x 1000cal or 1 x 2000cal.
And again, if your 1 x 2000cal is eaten at 5pm or 5am it isn't going to make a difference to whether you're in an overall calorie deficit/surplus.
Theres plenty of research out there. Google.

Theres plenty of research out there. Google.

Plenty of "research" that apparently you can find on google (hardly a strong source of evidence in itself) yet you are unable to produce even a single study supporting your position?

To the OP:
Here you go, systematic review showing no difference in weight loss b/w intermittent fasting or continued energy restriction.
Calories in vs calories out over a rolling 3-4 days is all you need to worry about.

I suggest downloading MyFitness Pal and tracking everything you eat during the day (snacks really add up) and going from there.
Also avoid any advice written for athletes trying to cut weight for a comp as by their nature they’re designed to yo-yo back from.

Last edited:
Plenty of "research" that apparently you can find on google (hardly a strong source of evidence in itself) yet you are unable to produce even a single study supporting your position?
I said; "calories are the same, but burn rate differs depending on time of day."

Researchers have made the surprising discovery that the number of calories people burn while at rest changes with the time of day. When at rest, people burn 10 percent more calories in the late afternoon and early evening than in the early morning hours.Nov 8, 2018

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/11/181108142423.htm#:~:text=Researchers%20have%20made%20the%20surprising,in%20the%20early%20morning%20hours.

Now, to further your education, do your own research. I'll not give share tips, or betting prices. DYOR.

Dont bother to reply.

I said; "calories are the same, but burn rate differs depending on time of day."

Researchers have made the surprising discovery that the number of calories people burn while at rest changes with the time of day. When at rest, people burn 10 percent more calories in the late afternoon and early evening than in the early morning hours.Nov 8, 2018
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/11/181108142423.htm#:~:text=Researchers have made the surprising,in the early morning hours.

Now, to further your education, do your own research. I'll not give share tips, or betting prices. DYOR.

Dont bother to reply.

Great . . .
Still no link b/w meal timing and weight loss though so still completely irrelevant to the OP..

*edit*
re: that study
The article you linked to is a little bit misleading as the study predominantly looks at comparing CHO and lipid utilisation (which is why google isn’t necessarily a good information source).
Interestingly enough throughout our circadian rhythm there's fluctuations in which is our primary energy source.
They also locked people in a windowless room for 3 weeks which raises other possible confounders like stress but anyway . . .
1603579989671.png

Last edited:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...ade the surprising,in the early morning hours.

Dont bother to reply.

did I question the rate at which you burn calories or the fact that the calories in Big Mac don’t change as to what time of the day it is?

you can google whatever study you want to back up your own argument.

i should of prefaced the advice I give up is anecdotal, I’m not one to claim one myself as a know it all and freely admit i struggle to read and interpret studies.

IF and keto work, but they work because of calorie restrictions it’s as simple as that. If IF/keto means you can adhere to calorie restriction itself then that is a good thing. There is no magic to eating windows, low carb, high fat.

I will tell you one thing, I’ve dieted down to contest levels of leanness so I know what it takes. I may not know the exact science behind it all but I know what it takes. So sit there and read all the studies you want, but do you really know what it takes.

Also even if we do burn different rates of calories at different hours of the day. That still equates to a certain amount in 24 hours. And again weight loss will be dependant on calories consumed in 24 hours.

the science has changed, carbs are the enemy now

don’t eat carbs, just fruit till lunch.

don’t mix protein and carbs

don’t eat eat junk foodbut have some chocolate

....I’m the one not making sense and needs debunking 🤔

Alot of diets around alot of good and bad foods. Just burn more than you eat. Simple calorie deficit.

I usually try and eat 2000 per day. I was 135kg now I'm around 109. I eat anything I want as long as it's 2000 or under. If I want KFC for lunch, I'll have it. But means I need to have steamed vegetables for dinner.

Don't worry too much about diets and avoiding foods. That was my biggest issue, following a strict diet. Just burn more than you consume. Work out how much you need to stay at your current weight and go from there

20kgs in 6-8 weeks? big call

Better to do it over a year.

That way you can change your lifestyle and gradually only need to lose 0.4kgs a week average.
I never said I wanted to lose 20kg in 6-8 weeks. I would be happy if I could get back to my "normal self" by march/april of next year.

Whilst i am not advocating soft drinks as healthy, if you still control your overall calorie intake you will still lose weight even whilst consuming sugary drinks. But if you are on 2000 calories a day wasting 300 calories on a soft drink isn't worth it.

Is this as good as drinking water instead. NO. Is sugar/sweetners some kind of magic where it binds calories so you can't lose weight whilst in a deficit. NO. If you aren't losing weight and drinking soft drinks, then you aren't in a calorie deficit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back