Autopsy How to Motivate Beta Males to be Ferocious and Ruthless

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
No Port player shirked a contest that day.
That was one tough, committed team of hombres.
Brisbane tried to go the knuckle, we stood up to it - and gave it back ................. with interest.
Brisbane buckled.

Ever since they've whinged and bleated that they were robbed by the AFL programming.
Those players were fired under the furnace of an intense Choco and a media/public baying for their blood.

These players sit back in the jacuzzi with Ken sinking piss and accepting pats on the back.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Again, those players underachieved.

The 2004 team were absolutely brilliant, but to talk about them as a team full of alpha supermen in terms of physicality or mentality is rewriting history.

They were far further ahead of their contemporaries in terms of talent than the modern team. Despite that, they horrendously blew 2002, horrendously blew 2003, followed up 2004 by missing the finals twice and then laid down in the 2007 GF.

The idea that they had a famous steely mentality that the modern team just couldn't hope to have man for man is silly.

May 8, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

The 2004 team were absolutely brilliant, but to talk about them as a team full of alpha supermen in terms of physicality or mentality is rewriting history.

They were far further ahead of their contemporaries in terms of talent than the modern team. Despite that, they horrendously blew 2002, horrendously blew 2003, followed up 2004 by missing the finals twice and then laid down in the 2007 GF.

The idea that they had a famous steely mentality that the modern team just couldn't hope to have man for man is silly.

I think everyone would acknowledge that they underachieved and should of played off in three Grand Finals 2002, 2003, 2004.
In my opinion our game plan under Choco just didn't stand up in finals until 2004. We always tried to keep possession which relied on hitting targets continuously often with minor 'metres gained'...when finals football goes up a notch in pressure the game plan didn't handle that increased pressure.
Geelong play a similar style now and their recent finals record reflects that over possessing the ball or playing 'tempo football' just doesn't get it done at finals time, the pressure is too great.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Whilst Hinkley rightly deserves much of the blame, as many have pointed out the onfield leadership and hardness have been sorely lacking. I'm once again shooting Bambi here, but Travis Boak has been Captain and or spiritual leader most of this time. He just has never really dragged us over the line. Very good footballer, just not a "Great". He kind of epitomises what this thread is really getting at and what the PAFC is these days.

People gonna lose their s**t, but I'm right.

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Whilst Hinkley rightly deserves much of the blame, as many have pointed out the onfield leadership and hardness have been sorely lacking. I'm once again shooting Bambi here, but Travis Boak has been Captain and or spiritual leader most of this time. He just has never really dragged us over the line. Very good footballer, just not a "Great". He kind of epitomises what this thread is really getting at and what the PAFC is these days.

People gonna lose their sh*t, but I'm right.

just like all your posts in the covid thread, no you aren't.

Festerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2019
///comet.repair.export
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PAFC Maggies SANFL, ASU Sun Devils

People gonna lose their sh*t, but I'm right.

You mean like that time you said anyone who wanted Billy Frampton delisted or traded was 'a moron'?

I might be losing my s**t but you have definitely spent too much time smelling yours.

:poo:

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks

These players sit back in the jacuzzi of Ken's piss ..
FTFY

Screenshot_20220115-233359.png

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
I think this is a bit of a myth. Dixon, Lycett, Butters, Jonas, Drew, Jones, SPP. We've got plenty of players who know how to throw their body around and are absolutely willing to do so when they're motivated and confident.

The fact that we don't do it often enough is because teams take on the personality of their coaches.

That personality can absolutely change over time. Under Choco we went from flighty to desperate and battle hardened to experimental hipster doofus. Under Primus we went for humble, because for some reason he thought humble was a good personality for a footy team. Under Hinkley we've gone from never giving up in the first couple of seasons to "can't somebody else do it" since 2015.

Bar Jonas I don't recall any of them truly hurting an opponent the way the 2004 mob did.

They have bodies and they use it, but they seem to stop before the force the attack the footy and contest with becomes excessive.

I can never never never see Dixon running through someone the way Jarryd Roughead did to that swans player in 2014 grand final for example, let alone anything Byron Pickett did.

Even Hartlett did it better than them til Hinkley coached him out of it.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Bar Jonas I don't recall any of them truly hurting an opponent the way the 2004 mob did.

They have bodies and they use it, but they seem to stop before the force the attack the footy and contest with becomes excessive.

I can never never never see Dixon running through someone the way Jarryd Roughead did to that swans player in 2014 grand final for example, let alone anything Byron Pickett did.

Even Hartlett did it better than them til Hinkley coached him out of it.

You know you can't deliberately hurt players anymore? The game has changed.

Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The problem isn't our intensity. Against Richmond in the prelim in 2020 we matched their intensity, they were just better.
We used to frequently win contested ball and inside 50s, but since we literally had zero strategy we couldn't ******* score.

We should sack hinkley

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
You know you can't deliberately hurt players anymore? The game has changed.
Lol that was a legitimate bump seven years ago.

It hasn't changed that much that a bump to the body severely winding someone is now illegal.

And anyway, I don't care about giving away frees in the act of establishing you are not to be ****ed with and hurting other players when they deserve it.

I remember when Gray was knock out vs Fremantle, Dixon was first on the seen and just kinda politely fixed up the creases in the offending players guernsey. Gave it a gentle tug. Not enough to knock him off balance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BrockBlitz

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think this is a bit of a myth. Dixon, Lycett, Butters, Jonas, Drew, Jones, SPP. We've got plenty of players who know how to throw their body around and are absolutely willing to do so when they're motivated and confident.

The fact that we don't do it often enough is because teams take on the personality of their coaches.

That personality can absolutely change over time. Under Choco we went from flighty to desperate and battle hardened to experimental hipster doofus. Under Primus we went for humble, because for some reason he thought humble was a good personality for a footy team. Under Hinkley we've gone from never giving up in the first couple of seasons to "can't somebody else do it" since 2015.

I've been working with athletes for a long time. They're either have it or they don't.

Some of the most hard working, diligent sponge like players just don't have that killer combative instinct on the field.
By contrast some of the laziest, annoying and disagreeable players I've ever worked with have white line fever and a ruthlessness that is just beautiful to watch.

You draft campaigners you don't develop them. You really notice squads without enough of them. Obviously you need to get the balance right but the cake doesn't rise without enough campaigner.

I've been working with athletes for a long time. They're either have it or they don't.

Some of the most hard working, diligent sponge like players just don't have that killer combative instinct on the field.
By contrast some of the laziest, annoying and disagreeable players I've ever worked with have white line fever and a ruthlessness that is just beautiful to watch.

You draft campaigners you don't develop them. You really notice squads without enough of them. Obviously you need to get the balance right but the cake doesn't rise without enough campaigner.

The squad is absolutely choc full of vanilla personalities

We have unfortunately at no point in our AFL history, mirrored what made us who we are except for the seasons under Cahill, which was still not good results wise overall.

We have unfortunately at no point in our AFL history, mirrored what made us who we are except for the seasons under Cahill, which was still not good results wise overall.

C'mon man....remember all those times when Choco took the huddle over to the members wing and it inspired us to win like 30% of the time?

May 8, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

1 flag and only 2 Grand Final's in 25 years is not what any of us would have expected back in 1997. Clearly we were never going to dominate the AFL like we did the SANFL but I did think we'd be up there with the best clubs, not amongst the average/ordinary clubs.

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
1 flag and only 2 Grand Final's in 25 years is not what any of us would have expected back in 1997. Clearly we were never going to dominate the AFL like we did the SANFL but I did think we'd be up there with the best clubs, not amongst the average/ordinary clubs.
Can be turned around but obviously you need leaders with balls making strong decisions, the AFL is not set up for utter domination by anyone but we should've been at West Coast type returns flags wise by now.

May 8, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Can be turned around but obviously you need leaders with balls making strong decisions, the AFL is not set up for utter domination by anyone but we should've been at West Coast type returns flags wise by now.

Yeah tend to agree, we've had the teams to have won 4 or 5 flags in my opinion over our 25 year journey and that's discounting the 2007 GF.

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah tend to agree, we've had the teams to have won 4 or 5 flags in my opinion over our 25 year journey and that's discounting the 2007 GF.
I'd say Choco nuffed at least 1 pre-2007 and Hinkley has nuffed 2 genuine chances, pushing up to 30 years in the comp you'd probably sleep ok with 3 but here we are.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Should of had 1 more from the 01-04 period. Brisbane were a ******* good side and I doubt we would have gotten more than 1 more.

2014 would have been a steal. We were riding a wave but theres no denying a third of the team were spuds. But you've got to ride your luck/momentum when you have it and we came up short.
Should have won in 2020. Probably more so than 21 although we shat the bed in the Prelim no doubt.
Realistically 3 flags by now would have been a par performance.

May 8, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'd say Choco nuffed at least 1 pre-2007 and Hinkley has nuffed 2 genuine chances, pushing up to 30 years in the comp you'd probably sleep ok with 3 but here we are.

I think we should have played off in the 2002, 2003, 2004 G.F's under Choco.
Coming off the 2014 Preliminary Final loss, I think we had the team to win a G.F in 2015, 2016.
2017, 2018, 2019 were very open years in my opinion.
2020, 2021 we had two home Preliminary Finals.
With three flags you'd be happy somewhat but Port Adelaide used to be greedy like the Brisbane, Geelong, Hawthorn and Richmond dynasties.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back