How to read the play better? | BigFooty

How to read the play better?

Discussion in 'Skills, Coaching, Admin, Umpires' started by lions2002, Feb 5, 2018.

1. lions2002

lions2002 Rookie

Brisbane Lions
    So I've been playing footy for a number of years, and my biggest weakness was reading the play. I don't get many touches in the senoirs side, and I recongised it was because of my lack of footy sense and reading the play. Games like keeping offs, where it touches the ground, turnover. I am the worst at, and rarely get a touch. Because of my weakness. So I was wondering if anyone out there could give me any tips or advice as to where to run, and things like that, thankyou.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Drugs Are Bad Mackay?

Drugs Are Bad Mackay? Moderator

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool
    Follow the best player around. Run where they do. Take note of how hard they work, when they go in for the ball, where they position themselves to receive

Mighty Eagles and western royboy like this.
  3. western royboy

western royboy Brownlow Medallist

Brisbane Lions
    Other Teams:
    Chelsea
    I totally endorse the comments of Mr Mackay - the only thing I would add is go and watch higher standard games live and watch where the large possession winners go to position themselves to get a kick. When I was a kid (U/15) I would occasionally fill in in the Reserves to make up numbers. One day I played on an ageing legend and effectively tagged him - he was a great bloke and he say to me in his laconic drawl “let’s go over here stallion, we might get a kick here” and so we’d head off over there and sure enough the ball would come and based purely on athletic capability I’d get there first and win the ball - if you can work out where the ball is going and not get sucked into play you are guaranteed lots of possession

4. Zurgblade

Zurgblade Debutant

West Coast
    I've only recently started to coach (year10's) and its transformed my view on the game incredibly. Highly recommmend it to any player to take up an assistant / coaching gig if they want to dramatically improve their reading of the game.

One of the biggest changes for me was to stop watching whose carrying the ball and instead trying to Envisage the game two plays ahead. This was to ensure my players were giving themselves enough time to become the next option and fill the holes down the field.

Drugs Are Bad Mackay? likes this.
  5. brutus76

brutus76 Premium Platinum

Essendon
    Brisbane (VIC until 21, SA until mid 30's)
    Other Teams:
    LFC, NFL Redskins, Brisbane Lions
    Like Mr. Mackay said.

OBSERVE AND REPORT (make mental notes).

Not something that can be "taught" as such. But if you watch the best players and learn more about your team mates and the style of play as the season evolves you'll be able to anticipate on instinct.