How to watch the Footy - 2021 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
The Media Rights Deals

AFL

Outside of Thursday night matches, public holiday and bye/split rounds, the competition will feature:

– One Friday night match (Seven/Fox)
– Two Saturday afternoon matches (Fox)
– One Saturday twilight match (Fox)
– Two Saturday night matches (Seven/Fox & Fox)
– Two Sunday afternoon games (Seven/Fox & Fox
– One Sunday twilight game (Fox)
  • Foxtel will continue to broadcast every game, except the AFL Grand Final, live on Pay TV. The JLT preseason series remains exclusive to Fox.
  • Telstra will once again hold the rights for hand-held devices, AFL.com.au and the club digital network. Telstra will broadcast every match on mobile devices.
AFLW

-- 2 matches on saturday broadcast back to back on Seven and Fox, and streamed on 7plus/Foxtel Now/Kayo and womens.afl
-- All other matches shown on Foxfooty, and streamed as above.
-- SA/WA/QLD/NSW team matches will be shown live on the Seven Network into their home states, including streaming on 7plus.

How to watch

Free to air Television
Cost:
Free

Channel 7 and 7HD will show Free to Air matches in Victoria and South Australia and some in Western Australia. In NSW and QLD, and some WA matches, the matches will be shown via 7mate. For AFLW some matches will also be shown on 7two.

Games involving teams from South australia, Western Australia, Queensland and New South Wales are generally shown live on Free to Air Television in their home states. Three matches for each team in South Australia and Western Australia will be delayed as a result of the current media deal, they will still be live on Foxtel.

Pay Television
Cost:
$39.00 - $68.00 per month

At this stage Foxtel remains the only option for AFL coverage.

Foxtel offer a deal at $58 per month for Foxtel which includes the compulsory base entertainment pack and the $29 sports pack - which includes the Fox Cricket, Foxfooty and Foxleague channels, as well as A-league and Super Rugby coverage. This deal costs a further $10 to have HD added.

Telstra offer the same Foxtel deal if purchased through them for $39.00 which includes the base entertainment pack with sport. Like Foxtels deal, HD costs an additional $10.00.

Mobile -
Domestic - the AFL app
Cost
: $0 - $16.99 per month

If you’re a Telstra mobile customer with a current Telstra post-paid mobile, pre-paid mobile ($30+ active recharges) or mobile broadband plan, then this can be included as part of your post-paid plan or when you maintain a $30+ active pre-paid recharge. Video data usage for the Season Pass is unmetered within Australia when using your compatible Telstra device on the Telstra mobile network.

Pre-paid customers can keep watching until 60 days from your last $30+ recharge. You must continue to recharge at least $30 on a Telstra Pre-Paid offer in order to continue.

For non Telstra customers, accessing premium content via an AFL Live Pass for a recurring subscription fee of $4.99 per week (7 days), $16.99 per month or $99.99 per year (365 days). Customers who purchased a Live Pass prior to 28th March 2017 the Monthly Pass and Annual Pass prices will be $14.99 and $89.99 until you cancel.

New customers can enjoy a free two week trial with a weekly, monthly or annual subscription. The AFL Live Pass can be cancelled at any point during or after the trial.

International - WatchAFL app
Cost: $33 per month (subscribed through website, see streaming)

Domestic Streaming

Foxtel Now
Cost:
$54 per month

Foxtel Now is effectively Foxtel, but streamed with much of the same packages you can get through Foxtel. The cheapest I could get Foxtel Now to sign up the footy was $54.00 per month, and comes with the standard - and non optional - Pop and Lifestyle Pack as well as the optional Sports package which contains Foxfooty, Fox League, Fox Cricket et al/

Kayo Sports
Cost:
$25/$35 per month (free 14 day trial)

Kayo sports is a Foxsports offering that, depending on package you choose, costs $25.00 or $35.00 per month, includes HD, and doesnt include all the other stuff that you really dont want so you can watch the footy.

BigFooty gets a few bucks if you sign up to their 14 day trial via this link - http://bit.ly/BFKayoFree

International Streaming

WatchAFL
Cost:
$33 per month

WatchAFL is a Foxsports operated international streaming service for the AFL and includes the AFL, AFLX, AFLW and the Foxfooty Channel. It costs $33.00 per month.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brolga

Grumpy Old Git
Nov 20, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Check your club membership details if you are living outside Australia.

For example the Eagles have an international membership which includes WatchAFL subscription so is good value, can watch all games as well as the Fox Footy shows like AFL 360 and On The Couch.

Zarrix

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
Switched to Kayo from Foxtel Now. Great value, under half price compared to the new now bundles and still saved 14 dollars compared to my old grandfathered plan.

Picture quality seems better too. Only complaint is the website graphics can make navigation a bit confusing .

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
As I have to switch to NBN in the next month or two I was looking at the Telstra bundle at $99 for internet standard plus, a mobile sim with unlimited data and 2 years free foxtel now with basic pop and lifestyle and bigpond movies, it also comes with a telstra tv box.
I was then thinking of adding Kayo for the footy, can you stream Kayo to the tv through the telstra tv box?

My current bigpond/foxtel hd platinum plan costs me nearly $200 a month then mobile phones for the family on top, so this new way will be a lot cheaper for me just need to add history and discovery as I watch them a bit, shame you cant swap out lifestyle as there is enough of that in fta.

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
WatchAFL actually comes in for me at €28/month, equating to $44 or thereabouts. Will definitely be buying the package through the club for $180 (€112)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Fulham FC, PHX Suns, MN Vikings
Does anyone know if Kayo are getting the JLT matches also? Considering its owned by Fox

I believe it does Pablito - I haven't signed up yet, but from my understanding you can stream all Foxtel sports content (except Eurosport, Premier League
club channels and Sky Racing) live or on-demand, which includes all other sports stations.

Pablito

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
I believe it does Pablito - I haven't signed up yet, but from my understanding you can stream all Foxtel sports content (except Eurosport, Premier League
club channels and Sky Racing) live or on-demand, which includes all other sports stations.
Makes sense, I'll do the trial from next week to find out I guess.

Costanza_

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
West Ham United
It will. There are buttons to watch any of the Fox Sports channels live rather than browsing via a particular event

Can second this. You can watch a live stream of any of the channels on top of the on-demand stuff.

You get two simultaneous screens for $25 a month. Split it with a mate, $12.50 a month is brilliant value.

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can some kind soul who knows about this technical stuff answer me a few questions about Kayo?
I have an LG TV 60UJ654T 60" - Can I stream Kayo to this TV and watch it?
Does Kayo have all games live?
Do they have replays?
Can you record to watch later?

Thanks in advance champion!!!
Woof!

Dandy_GO

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 25, 2005
Yunnan, China
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Sunderland
$33 bucks a month for WatchAFL is pretty expensive and almost certainly limits the spread of the game internationally. I live in China, have been a lifelong footy fan, club gold member (before I moved abroad), but I'm seriously considering not subscribing. There are so many other comparable sports/entertainment subscription platforms that give you a similar service for around a third of that price. Even those sports that do have comparably expensive subscription models generally offer a far, far better service than WatchAFL, or at least will give you a cheaper price to just have access to your own team's matches.

If I was just getting into the sport as an international fan, I very much doubt I'd be prepared to drop that kind of cash on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alvin Purple

Team Captain
May 10, 2007
By the Sea
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
don't stand a chance.
Can some kind soul who knows about this technical stuff answer me a few questions about Kayo?
Do they have replays?

Thanks in advance champion!!!
Woof!

Not to sure on your TV RW&B but I am watching Kayo on my 10yo Sony via an Apple TV 4K with the Kayo app.
I had to upgrade my Apple TV to do it though as my old Apple TV 2 didn't support it, before I bought the newer Apple TV I was watching via PC plugged into HMDI input.

I believe they will have all games live & you can select "no spoilers" and watch replays of any game.
If you switch it on during a game you can select to watch "from live" or "from start'"

I signed up for the free trial but will definitely be keeping it for now, unless price goes up significantly or picture quality reduces, so far I have been super impressed, I do have good internet speeds though.

Last edited:

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not to sure on your TV RW&B but I am watching Kayo on my 10yo Sony via an Apple TV 4K with the Kayo app.
I had to upgrade my Apple TV to do it though as my old Apple TV 2 didn't support it, before I bought the newer Apple TV I was watching via PC plugged into HMDI input.

I believe they will have all games live & you can select "no spoilers" and watch replays of any game.
If you switch it on during a game you can select to watch "from live" or "from start'"

I signed up for the free trial but will definitely be keeping it for now, unless price goes up significantly or picture quality reduces, so far I have been super impressed, I do have good internet speeds though.
Thanks for answering my questions Alvin. One more of you don’t mind: if I buy a 4K Apple TV box do I need to pay any subscription fees for it if I only want to run Kayo through it?
Thanks

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Note that News Limited are now offering online subscriptions to their papers bundled with Kayo for 30 a month.

THE DEAL: WHAT YOU GET

● 12-month subscription to Kayo, to stream more than 50 sports live on demand

● 12-month digital subscription to heraldsun.com.au, including access to SuperCoach Stats
Note: Kayo subscription is provided at the same time as your Herald Sun subscription and can not be provided separately.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/s...n/news-story/f25aec5aed5abf8e5c53aa87f08f1129

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
Has anybody managed to get anything besides a blank screen for kayo help?
Signed up at work today & can't get anything happening
Grrrrr

StillAtLarge

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What's up with telstra wanting me to create a user id (as well as d.o.b.) just for the friggin app? Such a p.i.t.a.
Never needed it before

Jabbbo

Draftee
Sep 1, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
You will need a way of getting it on the tv weather that be from a computer via hdmi cable, apple tv, telstra/roku tv, androidtv or chromecast (full list of supported platforms is available on kayosports.com.au)
Yes. The catch here is that any game that's also being broadcast on free to air will show the free to air broadcast on Kayo (with ads etc.)
Do they have replays?
So far, they have all of the afl matches from 2018 up to watch on demand. I imagine all of the future games will go up as well considering that's what they've done for the cricket/aleague so far.
No but just about everything that's streamed live is available on demand (and in HD!) after.

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Yes. The catch here is that any game that's also being broadcast on free to air will show the free to air broadcast on Kayo (with ads etc.)

I suspected this might be the case after watching a WAFL game last week. Any idea why as I had assumed Kayo would just have the Foxtel feed from channel 503 with no in game ad's as has been the case for years.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
You will need a way of getting it on the tv weather that be from a computer via hdmi cable, apple tv, telstra/roku tv, androidtv or chromecast (full list of supported platforms is available on kayosports.com.au)

So far, they have all of the afl matches from 2018 up to watch on demand. I imagine all of the future games will go up as well considering that's what they've done for the cricket/aleague so far.

No but just about everything that's streamed live is available on demand (and in HD!) after.

Yes. With Foxtel HD where you pay $10 for HD the plat games take longer to come up and are 576i. Practically the 1980s standard. Just tried kayo on Mac mini with safari browser it was stuttery. Was perfect on an iPad stream sharing to same Mac mini. ( both from iPad app and chrome browser). Also in Apple TV app. Apparently some chrome casts.

I was wavering but HD on demand games straight away might just have tipped it

My Foxtel iq2 with sports and HD is $58 monthly, the best they would do when I put the word on

Just re checked. Foxtel go does not screenshare to Apple Mac or Apple TV, nor is there a Apple TV app

Running the apps on an iPad then casting to Apple Mac or tv is the easiest interface

Last edited:

Jabbbo

Draftee
Sep 1, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Any idea why as I had assumed Kayo would just have the Foxtel feed from channel 503 with no in game ad's as has been the case for years.
It's got something to do with the streaming rights since foxtelnow and the afl live app also have to show the ch7 feed for ch7's games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back