How to watch the Footy - 2021 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

johnno73

Debutant
Nov 2, 2008
Bli Bli
AFL Club
Carlton
I am looking at getting the Roku premiere HD streamer for $ 40 then running straight off my AFL app on smart phone to my TV has anyone tried this ? Does it work ? Cheers

May 27, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
International - WatchAFL app
Cost: $33 per month (subscribed through website, see streaming)

And this is how we expand the game to international audiences? Completely block new people from ever finding it?
As it stands, the afl is serving only a fraction of aussie expats. Probably less than 0.001% of the potential global audience.

Are they scared of scaling up the tech or something? Every other major sport can manage it. AFL, invest in some programmers.

There was a huge expense for the China game, instead they should give a couple of free games a week to espn/pro siebenX. Reach millions more people.
There seems to be a determination to limit the reach of the game in the most expensive way possible.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
International - WatchAFL app
Cost: $33 per month (subscribed through website, see streaming)

And this is how we expand the game to international audiences? Completely block new people from ever finding it?
As it stands, the afl is serving only a fraction of aussie expats. Probably less than 0.001% of the potential global audience.

Are they scared of scaling up the tech or something? Every other major sport can manage it. AFL, invest in some programmers.

There was a huge expense for the China game, instead they should give a couple of free games a week to espn/pro siebenX. Reach millions more people.
There seems to be a determination to limit the reach of the game in the most expensive way possible.
Problem is the revenue comes from TV rights so they are looking after them.
If revenue was Merch it would be a much better model as they would be giving it away free.
Catch 22 really no free exposure no chance of merch being the money spinner

May 27, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Problem is the revenue comes from TV rights so they are looking after them.
If revenue was Merch it would be a much better model as they would be giving it away free.
Catch 22 really no free exposure no chance of merch being the money spinner

More viewers in the future is a win for everyone in a tv rights deal.

What would a rights buyer really lose if it were negotiated that some free games were given to a foreign audience?
Presumably, the rights holders would not be losing many viewers anyway. They would get a fractional saving on the rights deal and expand their own future revenue base.

The AFL could even go crazy and fork out a few hundred k to get some american/german educational commentary. No Australian will put up with a commentator that spends half the game explaining basic rules, so it would serve to protect existing tv audiences for the TV rights holder. While hugely expanding the game.

Americans love it! Germans would too.

Alvin Purple

Team Captain
May 10, 2007
By the Sea
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
don't stand a chance.
Thanks for answering my questions Alvin. One more of you don’t mind: if I buy a 4K Apple TV box do I need to pay any subscription fees for it if I only want to run Kayo through it?
Thanks

No other subscription charges other than Kayo.
$25 for basic which can be shared - 2 screens.
$35 premium/add free - 3 screens.

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No other subscription charges other than Kayo.
$25 for basic which can be shared - 2 screens.
$35 premium/add free - 3 screens.
Well I got Kayo and it is exactly what I wanted. Works very well. We have already cancelled Foxtel.
One question I do have for someone in the know... when you don’t have household WiFi and only have your phone can you chromecast Kayo using your cellular data??
I googled the problem and got it working by hotspotting a ‘second’ phone and connecting my phone to that second phone’s data. This allowed me to Crhomecast successfully but is not ideal for those occasions when I only have one phone.
Can someone shed some light on how I can get it to work with only one phone?
Thanks in advance champions!

Well I got Kayo and it is exactly what I wanted. Works very well. We have already cancelled Foxtel.
One question I do have for someone in the know... when you don’t have household WiFi and only have your phone can you chromecast Kayo using your cellular data??
I googled the problem and got it working by hotspotting a ‘second’ phone and connecting my phone to that second phone’s data. This allowed me to Crhomecast successfully but is not ideal for those occasions when I only have one phone.
Can someone shed some light on how I can get it to work with only one phone?
Thanks in advance champions!
There’s a weird thing where you can’t chromecast without a LAN unless you’re on a Google phone etc.

Corkintheocean

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Anyone know if you can run a VPN with watchafl app as a work around?

I'm moving overseas mid season and don't really want to drop for two subscriptions/pay the inflated per month basis.

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
As stated before, for expats, check of your club has an overseas membership that includes viewing. May well be a lot cheaper than watch AFL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Corkintheocean

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
As stated before, for expats, check of your club has an overseas membership that includes viewing. May well be a lot cheaper than watch AFL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Already taken that advice on board. Would be good to grab the membership via the club and still be able to stream for the 12 or so weeks before I leave.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
So I've done a bit of browsing through the different international club memberships, and all the international ones are different. For example:

West Coast - $180 with no supporter pack
Freo - $150 with the yearbook
Collingwood - $155 with a scarf/beanie and welcome pack
GWS - $205 with nothing else

It's almost worth shopping around (if you can handle your money going to other clubs)

SunGirl89

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
It's almost worth shopping around (if you can handle your money going to other clubs)

Do international memberships entitle you to watch every AFL match or just those for the club you are a member of? Or does it differ for each club?

$150 - Fremantle
$155 - Adelaide, Collingwood
$165 - Port Adelaide
$168 - Gold Coast
$170 - Melbourne
$175 - Essendon, Carlton
$180 - St Kilda, West Coast
$185 - Brisbane, Richmond
$189 - watch.afl
$190 - Geelong, Hawthorn
$195 - Western Bulldogs
$199 - North Melbourne
$205 - GWS Giants
$210 - Sydney Swans

Last edited:

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Do international memberships entitle you to watch every AFL match or just those for the club you are a member of? Or does it differ for each club?

$150 - Fremantle,
$155 - Adelaide, Collingwood,
$165 - Port Adelaide,
$168 - Gold Coast,
$170 - Melbourne,
$175 - Essendon, Carlton,
$180 - St Kilda,
$185 - Brisbane, Richmond,
$189 - watch.afl,
$190 - Geelong, Hawthorn,
$199 - North Melbourne,
$205 - GWS Giants,
$210 - Sydney Swans,

Every game is available either live or on replay, whenever you want.

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Watch AFL is much more expensive
c96e48469e93d5d269968c026c8dafe6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SunGirl89

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
That's odd that the price would differ from country to country, in fact, it's bloody stupid. It should be AUD $189 converted into local currency.

Just reading their FAQ: "It can be purchased in or outside Australia from watchafl.com.au, however the content within the Service can only be viewed from outside Australia."

I knew it could not be watched in Australia, but I presumed the price would be the same no matter where you live.

If I buy something from amazon.com, it is the same price no matter what country I live in. The price is in USD and is then converted.

SunGirl89

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Some of the international memberships include a member pack. Some also include some free extras:
Gold Coast - https://www.theaflstore.com.au/leisure-outdoor/gold-coast-suns-cooler-bag-with-tray.html
Melbourne - ticket to one home game in Melbourne
Carlton - two General Admission tickets
St Kilda - one member choice item (?)

NB: Adult general admission tickets are $27.

So Melbourne looks like the best deal if you intend to come to Melbourne during the season:
- R3 v Ess, R7 v Haw, R10 v GWS, R20 v Rich, R21 v Coll, R22 v Syd

The Carlton offer needs some clarification though, it's not very clear: "Two additional (?) GA tickets". Most neutral fans would rather watch Melbourne once than Carlton twice, so I think $20 for one Melbourne game is better value than $25 for two Carlton games.

Last edited:

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Nope, you can also purchase it from AFL clubs in Aussie dollars.

SunGirl89 has posted the prices above.

Actually, I posted that. I was disputing the stand alone watchafl membership.

Thanks for reading the whole conversation though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uggars

Draftee
May 3, 2008
Yarrawonga, Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
I had been using Kodi to watch the last few seasons on my tv with my afl app credentials.
Last night however it wouldn't load live stuff, but was able to still play all other videos.
Did anyone get it working last night?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back