Strategy How Tom Lynch will add and enhance Richmond’s forward set-up

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think so. Towners role was primarily defensive. Jack is a brilliant marking forward, fantastic crumbing forward, and awesome around the grounds, especially delivering the ball - as well as being a defensive monster. You don't throw away the reigning Coleman medalist on a defensive shut down role on the oppositions rebounding back.

If they work together well we'll be kicking the ball to two tall targets, and hopefully Dusty/Caddy one out deep when the 2 talls lead out. Think of how many times we kick the ball in deep and Jack, or someone else has to take on 3 backs. That is because other teams just virtually ignored whoever was 'second tall'. With Tom Lynch you cannot ignore him - he'll kick 8 goals. If it works well we'll not only have more marking targets we'll stretch defenses in ways we haven't in the 2017 model. If we can get the 2 talls working they will both be too dangerous not to double mark. And teams cannot double mark them and have anyone free to intercept and rebound. That means more marks in dangerous spots for us, and more balls coming to ground in dangerous spots for us. If Tom can play a strong defensive role then it could be a step up on the hyper pressure model.

A few 'ifs' there, but it makes sense to me. When teams beat us they take the air forward away from us. To Lynch gives that back to us.
yea i do agree with what you are sayn it will be good to have the 2 good targets there and it will stretch other backlines, although i dont think towner was there just to apply defensive pressure. his pressure was awesome but had he been able to take more marks and play as a forward also, then i dont necessarily think we would need lynch. Although im thinkn jack will be playing the towner role with defensive pressure that he can do and lynch will be the more focal forward. lynch will have a couple years to learn from jack on the field while i hope towner stays and develops more as a forward for when jack leaves and then it will be a lynch towner forward duo. my thinkn anyway. and hope lynch stays injury free and becomes a gun.

Jack to shed a 2-3 kgs and be an even more of a running machine than he already is.

Jack 35-40 goals next year and will have the most score assists in the comp.

Lynch to play out of the goal square.

To be honest not being able to Draft/Development or Trade in a genuine second tall option for nearly a decade has been the clubs biggest failure. We wasted five years on two spuds like Vickery and Griffiths after missing an opportunity on Franklin or Roughead. At least right now on paper this is our best Forward line since the early 80's

Caddy is the interesting one for me in all this. Could struggle to get it (or he might get in Lynch and Riewoldt’s way like he did in the finals) or gets a lot of it by getting third best defender

Caddy is the interesting one for me in all this. Could struggle to get it (or he might get in Lynch and Riewoldt’s way like he did in the finals) or gets a lot of it by getting third best defender

Yes: Or Caddy plays more midfield and rests deep forward and Jack and Tom lead hard out. Often Caddy was outsized forward. It'll be hard for oppositions with 2 genuine talls. They need a tall spare defender. And with Dusty also dropping forward I can see Caddy getting squeezed out of the forward line or having ball with delivery from Jack etc to him one out deep with a lower quality defender. Obviously I'm hoping Jack and Tom play together well and open up more opportunities for our mid sized and small forwards. But we'll see.

To be honest not being able to Draft/Development or Trade in a genuine second tall option for nearly a decade has been the clubs biggest failure. We wasted five years on two spuds like Vickery and Griffiths after missing an opportunity on Franklin or Roughead. At least right now on paper this is our best Forward line since the early 80's

To be fair both Vickery and Griff had A grade talent. TV just didn't try, and Griff couldn't stay on the park. I can forgive injuries much more easily than lack of effort.

if nothing else, it will mean teams cant just doubleteam Jack knowing we dont have another big option up forward....

Just imagine the reigning Coleman medallist having shitloads more 1on1's.
Don't forget, our % of forward entries to jack was smaller than most other KPF from other clubs from memory!!!

ALL POSITIVES

I dunno, Benny and Richo weren't a bad forward combo.

To be fair both Vickery and Griff had A grade talent. TV just didn't try, and Griff couldn't stay on the park. I can forgive injuries much more easily than lack of effort.
Being very generous to Griff there. He was capable when fit but never A grade. For all Vickerys flaws, his best was better than Griff could produce imo. Sadly we didn’t see enough of the best of either.

This new structure with Lynch gives us the potential to have 3 genuine A grade stars playing forward depending on which small/mids are rotating through.
Can’t wait to see how the coaching staff set up.

I have known Lynch in a sporting context and no trouble teaching him anything. Really good family, really good attitude. Also a super talented footballer and the only problems I can see happening with him are the same with any player, if injuries strike him down. The thing is, as the Grand Final showed, it is not whether you are big, small or medium that counts. It is whether you are good, average, or not so good and Lynch has a hell of a lot going for him. Brilliant runner, leader, tall and great pack mark, decent kick. The prelim showed the Tigers need more tall options we just didn't have the answers in the air v the Pies. We will pay a premium for Lynch but great acquisition. Rance, Astbury(ignore prelim he was nowhere near right) Riewoldt Lynch Nankervis(do not sell out on him, yeoman type who will never give up) gives us 3 brilliant talls and two very decent ones and on days where the weather is fine you wouldn't mind seeing us play one of Balta, Chol, CCJ, or Moore into the bargain. Those four, Garthwaite, Miller and Soldo starting to look like we have a good profile with the talls and don't fall off a cliff if one of the main five get injured. Just got to find a way to convert some of the midget forwards into midfielders now I think.
Good post.
Butler to midfield for mine, has the toolkit but just needs to believe (and beef up a little). Castagna reminds me of young Nick Daffy, would need to develop poise somehow though, but has speed etc.

Plenty of room for small intro of new small forwards Bolton et al.

Being very generous to Griff there. He was capable when fit but never A grade. For all Vickerys flaws, his best was better than Griff could produce imo. Sadly we didn’t see enough of the best of either.

This new structure with Lynch gives us the potential to have 3 genuine A grade stars playing forward depending on which small/mids are rotating through.
Only 3? I’d argue 4 if DR could put himself up there if he keeps improving like he has been

Riewoldt
Lynch
Martin
Rioli

That list alone is enough to give defenders a cold sweat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. On Griff what I meant was that his tools included size, athleticism, good below his knees, huge kick, good mark and at times genuine physicality. He had traits that could translate to A grade. But he never really got to string games together, especially as the main target. Many players have A grade potential, only a few make it.

And yes, if we play the Lynch card well we'll have a very potent and hard to stop forward line.

Caddy has to play more midfield. Clearances is a weakness. Townsend too. Need to concentrate completely on bringing in midfielders and running long kicks this trade and draft period

Would Franklin or Roughie turned out as good with us?

Hindsight drafting is easy

Would Franklin or Roughie turned out as good with us?

Hindsight drafting is easy
Can’t seriously be asking would these blokes have been good players if drafted by us?
I agree hindsight drafting is bullshit and a waste of time, but champion players will be champion players anywhere.

It's going to be a faster, more open game with the new rules. Cotchin, Dusty, Caddie, Prestia, Edwards, Graham can dig the ball out to the quicks, Rioli, Menadue, Butler, Ellis, who can drill it to Jack or Lynch on twin leads with a couple of crumbers. I reckon the team is tailor made for 6:6:6 now, particularly with Caddie in the midfield and genuine deep targets up forward.

Last edited:
Not sure if it will happen next year or not, but I'm salivating at the prospect of Rioli getting more time in the guts. His evasiveness is on Shed's level (if not better), and he could be a bonafide midfield superstar if his tank allows him to be.

The two most obvious ways it benefits us are 1. When Riewoldt is up the ground he/the team now has a genuine target to kick to and 2. Riewoldt can no longer be effectively double teamed because Lynch will destroy the oppositions 2nd or 3rd best defender one on one if 2 of them go to Jack. Same goes for Lynch, if you double team him Jack would kick 5 playing on a second rate KPD.

The biggest downside is the unknown, what does it do to our ability to lock the ball inside 50?

The two most obvious ways it benefits us are 1. When Riewoldt is up the ground he/the team now has a genuine target to kick to and 2. Riewoldt can no longer be effectively double teamed because Lynch will destroy the oppositions 2nd or 3rd best defender one on one if 2 of them go to Jack. Same goes for Lynch, if you double team him Jack would kick 5 playing on a second rate KPD.

The biggest downside is the unknown, what does it do to our ability to lock the ball inside 50?
lets-do-it1.gif

Jack to shed a 2-3 kgs and be an even more of a running machine than he already is.

Don't mess with Jack!!!

Jr is close to perfect, he just needs to keep it simple and do more of the same.

If anything for starters I would play Lynch up the ground and high CHF to see how our different forward lines functions. Even throw Towner in and see what happens

Now jack can push up to the wing for the tall target
That we didnt have and he doesnt have to sprint
Back into the 50 becouse guess who will be there
The lynch ..im guessing jack will play a similar role to darling.

I’d rather he kick 70 goals and be top 10-15 for goals assists like this year. Not sure why so many people want to completely change Jack’s role after he just perfected his current one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back