Strategy How we can improve in 2018?

Remove this Banner Ad

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
With the trading period now over, the Club and the fans can move onto the next phase of life - planning for 2018!

Let's keep this simple, how can we improve in each of these zones:
- forward (Cameron gone)
- midfield
- defense (Smith out with injury; Lever gone)

With Gibbs' inclusion, our midfield will be bolstered. However, our defense looks to be the weak link once again with the loss of Lever and Smith. Who should we pick from the SANFL side? Maybe we should make positional changes?

We kept CEY on the list and before getting injured a lot were backing him to explode. He has been given one last opportunity if he doesn't do it this year he will be back at WWT next year. He is on his last chance I hope he realises it

Cheney may find is way back in the team after a shocking injury season

Doedee needs to step up this year and get the deficiencies out of his game 3 rd year in its time or piss off

Gibson sounds like depth

Milera has travelled ok but without doubt has to take it to a consistent level this year

Hoping to see 10 to 15 games out of Galluci with some good efforts no reason why he won't

Pohlkoke more than sig should show enough to get a gig

Himmelberg and Dear may get opportunities depending on how tex JJ Gov and lynch stand up

Otten will remain depth

Keath needs to play at a higher level at sanfl to force his way into the A team and hope hartigan fails or gets injured

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
First one is to never play Otten in the forward line unless he is a direct replacement for Jenkins (tall forward and second ruck).

If Lynch, Walker or McGovern are injured, we play a smaller forward.

I'm worrried about Smith's loss the most. I'm desperately hoping he can return Round 18/19/20 to have a couple of runs in the SANFL and be back for the last couple of AFL rounds and finals.

No reason why Talia, Hartigan and Keith can't all play together in the backline. I'd bring Keath in to replace Lever. Hartigan can go to the smaller key forward as we used him a few times this year.

It would be a luxury but I'd love to see Bryce Gibbs play the same role as his oldman did at the Bays, back pocket general.

Our backline would be our strength.

Gibbs injects an A grade talent in to the mix that can help us overcome a game when Sloane is getting tagged. Can also play the Smith role.

Brad Crouch with another full pre season I’m tipping him to overtake his brother (big call) with Matt Crouch to continue on his merry way

McGovern!

Galucci and Milera to show us why they were taken as first rounders.

No reason why Talia, Hartigan and Keith can't all play together in the backline. I'd bring Keath in to replace Lever. Hartigan can go to the smaller key forward as we used him a few times this year.

It would be a luxury but I'd love to see Bryce Gibbs play the same role as his oldman did at the Bays, back pocket general.

Our backline would be our strength.

If anything you would put Gibbs on the HBF/ mid his strength is he has an elite leg that our forward line will take advantage of

Anyone know how himmelberg is tracking? Been suggested elsewhere he can maybe play levers role. The gws himmelberg looks the goods. We should try and get him.

So many exciting kids to follow - Doedee should replace Lever, and was excellent in the sanfl last year. Milera should improve. Gallucci looks very exciting. Keath and Greenwood might make a leap with big pre-seasons.

ROB continues to get better. Ben Jarman is exciting.

Maybe Himmelberg and Signorello take a leap up; both have something about them.

Still haven't mentioned improvement from young best 22 players like McGovern, Crouches, Atkins, Hartigan. And will the potential of Seed and Hampton be unlocked?

Then there's still picks 12, 39 and 77 to come, and a bunch of new rookies.

I can't wait!!

Here are the players on our list that I'm looking to improve year on year (ranked in order of scope for improvement and partly based on likely opportunity):
  • Milera - critical he steps up and I like the suggestions of others that we slot him into Smith's spot on the HBF
  • Brad Crouch - now he's got through a year and can have some confidence in his body...can he smash the pre-season and take the next step to fulfil his potential like his brother
  • McGovern - can he find the consistency to go from 10 goals / 1.5 goals per game to 15/2 which will make him a genuine top-line forward
  • Gallucci - 1st round draft pick that needs to slot into Cameron's HFF and leave us no worse off in terms of output and forward 'synergy'
  • Greenwood - showed glimpses of what he's capable of and has a genuine point of difference among our midfield group...can he build his tank, soak up more TOG and become a strong 20 possies a game midfielder
  • Atkins - his best against average teams/free-flowing games is very good...can he lower the gap between his best and worst to become an AA-level wingman which I think he's capable of
  • Doedee - can he move into the team seamlessly and help keep us a strong defensive unit...probably asking too much for him to be an intercept/rebound star straight off the bat but locking down the 3rd/4th opposition tall forward would be a great start.

Here are the players on our list that I'm looking to improve year on year (ranked in order of scope for improvement and partly based on likely opportunity):
  • Milera - critical he steps up and I like the suggestions of others that we slot him into Smith's spot on the HBF
  • Brad Crouch - now he's got through a year and can have some confidence in his body...can he smash the pre-season and take the next step to fulfil his potential like his brother
  • McGovern - can he find the consistency to go from 10 goals / 1.5 goals per game to 15/2 which will make him a genuine top-line forward
  • Gallucci - 1st round draft pick that needs to slot into Cameron's HFF and leave us no worse off in terms of output and forward 'synergy'
  • Greenwood - showed glimpses of what he's capable of and has a genuine point of difference among our midfield group...can he build his tank, soak up more TOG and become a strong 20 possies a game midfielder
  • Atkins - his best against average teams/free-flowing games is very good...can he lower the gap between his best and worst to become an AA-level wingman which I think he's capable of
  • Doedee - can he move into the team seamlessly and help keep us a strong defensive unit...probably asking too much for him to be an intercept/rebound star straight off the bat but locking down the 3rd/4th opposition tall forward would be a great start.

You didn't mention Gibbs you would hope he is the biggest improvement to the team

You didn't mention Gibbs you would hope he is the biggest improvement to the team

I was separating Gibbs / Gibson and the trading-related improvement to the organic growth from existing players on our list - both will be a factor next year. The other areas is new draftees but you wouldn't expect that to contribute much in 2018.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got my doubts on Atkins. Under pressure he fell to bits in that gf. He wasn't Robinson Crusoe but he'd needs now prove again he is up to the level. No walk up start in my book.

Need big years out of Milera, Hampton and maybe Gallucci to replace Charlies leg speed.

I've got my doubts on Atkins. Under pressure he fell to bits in that gf. He wasn't Robinson Crusoe but he'd needs now prove again he is up to the level. No walk up start in my book.

Need big years out of Milera, Hampton and maybe Gallucci to replace Charlies leg speed.
I think that's fair and I tend to agree. My point was that I hope/expect that he can improve further and push up to AA-level wingman but if his game plateaus at its current level then I think he becomes pretty good trade bait in a year being a proven B-grader and a Victorian with plenty of years ahead of him.

Three simple imptovements

Forward - Tex gets his hands right and gets back to taking marks. He had a surgery to fix this.

Midfield- Gibbs. Also need to build Greenwood's TOG up.

Backline - no simple answer here with Smith and Lever gone for 2018.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Forward - Tex gets his hands right and gets back to taking marks. He had a surgery to fix this.

Foot surgery?

Change our selection policy so we are less afraid to play young players and more willing to drop underperforming players

Selection policy was good last year, if you can select a team that finishes top at the end of the minor round not sure how much better you can do, as for the team that showed up on GF day thats another storey, personally I think we went in with the best team avaialble on the day

Tex no doubt needs a big year and would like to see more out of JJ, Gov should naturally improve with his development and I hope Lynch maintains hsi standard

Greenwood is a bit of an unknown, not sure if Pyke is sold on him yet, needs to take his game to the next level, Gibbs will be huge and I reckon you might see Bcrouch try and catch his bro, Sloane should be the benefactor of all this talent

Backline is in need of one or two players which are creative, Laird really is the only attacking player we are left with, is Hampton capable, Doedee looks like he has the defensive skills but not the offensive skills, Milera is a possibility and maybe Galluci or Pohlkoke

Keath needs to start in JJs spot for the first 10games. Put him in the ruck/forward group this pre season.
He is not going to be worse than JJ and he will provide a much better target and toughness in our forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back