Strategy How we can improve in 2018?

Remove this Banner Ad

We kept CEY on the list and before getting injured a lot were backing him to explode. He has been given one last opportunity if he doesn't do it this year he will be back at WWT next year. He is on his last chance I hope he realises it
I thought he was out of contract???
Did we offer him a 1 year contract? Have I missed something?

It's fine to go through this all, player by player, but that misses the big picture.

We need to do just one thing: find an elixir to get the team singing from the same songsheet at all times. There is to be no choking, not "turning up", or going missing. But, how do we do this? All suggestions welcome. Perhaps, we need to do some minor tuning to the psychology.

Overall, last year we were'nt too bad in these areas. I forgive the North game. However, the big thing to fix relates to the home Melbourne game and the GF. I find these inexplicable. We definitely "turned up" to both, but went missing after controlling things early (the choke). In the GF, it looked as though we were annoyed that Richmond kept continually pressuring and trying, and the second-quarter arm-wrestle ended up "too hard" and we gave up. This must not be allowed to happen again and must be investigated and followed up. That it happened in the GF was disgraceful, and I felt very sorry for Sauce, who had just about the best ruck game I've seen him have. The choking is a team-wide thing, not addressable at the individual level.

I think we need to work on defensive structures, starting from the kickins.
Ben Hart hopefully has been employed to help with this. The last thing I want to see is Laird bombing it up the line.
I believe the midfield will improve again this year and with the adjustments in the backline we will see a great team playing great football.

Of those can only really see Jarman getting a contract? Maybe CEY & Cheney for depth?

Can Jarman be rookie listed again?
You used to be able to apply to the AFL for an 12 month extension to keep a player on the rookie list with the players consent (for a 2nd and a 3rd season). Not sure if that has changed now with the new CBA.

Last edited:
It's fine to go through this all, player by player, but that misses the big picture.

We need to do just one thing: find an elixir to get the team singing from the same songsheet at all times. There is to be no choking, not "turning up", or going missing. But, how do we do this? All suggestions welcome. Perhaps, we need to do some minor tuning to the psychology.

Overall, last year we were'nt too bad in these areas. I forgive the North game. However, the big thing to fix relates to the home Melbourne game and the GF. I find these inexplicable. We definitely "turned up" to both, but went missing after controlling things early (the choke). In the GF, it looked as though we were annoyed that Richmond kept continually pressuring and trying, and the second-quarter arm-wrestle ended up "too hard" and we gave up. This must not be allowed to happen again and must be investigated and followed up. That it happened in the GF was disgraceful, and I felt very sorry for Sauce, who had just about the best ruck game I've seen him have. The choking is a team-wide thing, not addressable at the individual level.

I agree with a lot of this but one thing sticks out to me and that is Sauces tapwork and our midfield setups. We STILL need a lot of work.
No use winning the tap down to a foot in front of your own feet only to have the opposition swoop in like a pack of seagulls.

Campo, Clark or whoever need to either go or get a clue.

I think we need to work on defensive structures, starting from the kickins.
Ben Hart hopefully has been employed to help with this. The last thing I want to see is Laird bombing it up the line.
I believe the midfield will improve again this year and with the adjustments in the backline we will see a great team playing great football.
Will be interesting to see which players take our kickins with Smith missing...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doedee a already a physical specimen, but apart from him would love to see our kids come back looking like men.

Reckom polholke will, but if guys like milera, Himmelberg, Davis, gooch came back with size and ripped to shreds I'd be pretty happy.

Doedee a already a physical specimen, but apart from him would love to see our kids come back looking like men.

Reckom polholke will, but if guys like milera, Himmelberg, Davis, gooch came back with size and ripped to shreds I'd be pretty happy.

Takes more than 3 months to put on serious muscle unless youre on the juice

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gooch came ready to go last year. With a full season and another pre-season under his belt, he will be ready to go. I do hope he can cement a spot in the forward line.

In terms of improvement needed from players, I think the importance runs:

Doedee - time to be the first rounder

McGovern - time to start being “the man”

Brad - time to be the best brother

Milera - time to be worthy of our first pick

Gallucci - time to take over from Charlie and do it better

Greenwood - time to play out the whole game

Knight - a lot of one step forward one backwards in the past 2 yrs - time to be the player Walsh saw

Atkins - his good is good enough - time to be consistent

Hampton - spent a lot of games teasing before he was injured - time to stop being potential

Matt - still young, will be targeted now, needs to cope with that attention ie improve again

JJ has kicked 100 goals over the last two years. If that was easy, everyone would be doing it.

And Keath had the worst numbers at the contest of all key talls (Champion Data said that on this weeks Fox Footy podcast).

I remember that Keath actually topped the stats one week as the best defender in the round? Talia and Hartigan are locks in the back half - and neither is even an average disposer of the footy. We can't add Keath as well, and have no one kicking the ball !! At this stage Alex is good backup if someone goes down with injury.

Laird and Gibbs will distribute off half back - with Seedsman using his kicking skills to break lines.

Doedee will be the interesting one ... what can he produce?

In terms of improvement needed from players, I think the importance runs:

Doedee - time to be the first rounder

McGovern - time to start being “the man”

Brad - time to be the best brother

Milera - time to be worthy of our first pick

Gallucci - time to take over from Charlie and do it better

Greenwood - time to play out the whole game

Knight - a lot of one step forward one backwards in the past 2 yrs - time to be the player Walsh saw

Atkins - his good is good enough - time to be consistent

Hampton - spent a lot of games teasing before he was injured - time to stop being potential

Matt - still young, will be targeted now, needs to cope with that attention ie improve again
Yes, the real improvements need to be with the "organic" players. We can't expect the elite performers to improve much further, but hoping they can remain thereabouts.

Yes, the real improvements need to be with the "organic" players. We can't expect the elite performers to improve much further, but hoping they can remain thereabouts.
upload_2017-10-21_11-37-57.png upload_2017-10-21_11-37-30.png upload_2017-10-21_11-38-57.png upload_2017-10-21_11-39-10.png upload_2017-10-21_11-39-25.png upload_2017-10-21_11-39-35.png

Games are often about levels.

We come with a level of intensity that is then matched against the opposition on game day.

When our levels are higher things are great, however when the opposite is true we are found wanting.

We need to demonstrate the ability to rise to the occasion and not only match the opposition's intensity and execution, but to then show that we can take it up another notch and place the pressure back on them.

This for me should be the underlying philosophy that the rest of the strategy and game plan should be built around.

Identify what is stopping us from doing this, then plan out a course of action to achieve this.

I think there are a lot of factors involved here and its a multifaceted beast that starts with the players minds.

I remember that Keath actually topped the stats one week as the best defender in the round? Talia and Hartigan are locks in the back half - and neither is even an average disposer of the footy. We can't add Keath as well, and have no one kicking the ball !! At this stage Alex is good backup if someone goes down with injury.

Laird and Gibbs will distribute off half back - with Seedsman using his kicking skills to break lines.

Doedee will be the interesting one ... what can he produce?

Keath is a better kick than Talia, Hartigan and Lever. Not only that, he backs himself with ball in hand, has plenty of pace for a tall and is willing to try to break lines.

Am I not understanding what you have written?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back