Opinion How well has Geelong used its Ablett compensation picks?

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't read all the game thread. I swear someone said he was playing 1/2 back.

I think Smedts is in our best 22 but as a forward pocket! Caddy started to hit his straps on the weekend.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2014-07-07/in-the-mix-versus-demons
Billie Smedts
With two games back in the VFL, Smedts is ticking all the boxes for the Cats with a strong attitude and class at the lower level. In trying conditions, Smedts finished with 13 disposals, eight tackles and four inside 50s. The Cats will be comfortable bringing Smedts back to the highest level should the need arise.

Any idea where he played?
I think Smedts is in our best 22 but as a forward pocket! Caddy started to hit his straps on the weekend.

I guess its a balance of between their performance/form mandating them being "best 22" , and their being perceived as worth a spot due to their potential . Looking at his game tally he needs games. I seem to be saying this a lot , the fact is so many of our players in the 16-35 range could rightly say they would be worth a spot
I think we lack a forward more than a back atm , play him on the flank and lets the Smedts run free

but if its "Pig factor" we want.....

Jarrad Jansen
Jansen continued his fine debut VFL season with an eye catching performance on Sunday. A team high 19 disposals, eight tackles and five clearances were just reward for the strong bodied midfielder. Whether the Cats think he needs more time to develop his game or whether he could be a contested spark for the AFL side remains to be seen........

Bump.

We blatantly lost this one.

I'm still a bit confused as to how this worked, Caddy didn't join us in 2011 did he?
We were always going to lose this one, it was just a matter of the degrees of loss.

We were always going to lose this one, it was just a matter of the degrees of loss.
If they had been two decent players, then maybe not.

Two good players outweight one freak IMO.

We lost out... But not by much.. Abletts barely played the last 2 years.

Because of the compromised drafts they either had to hold on to them for a bloody long time until they became useable or trade them like they did.

The mid first round pick was traded in 2010 back to the Gold Coast for pick 15 which became Billie Smedts. GC later traded this pick to GWS as part of the package for a mini draft selection. GWS ended up swapping it with Melbourne and the pick ended up pick 9 in 2013 and used on Christian Salem.

The end of first round pick was traded back to GC for Josh Caddy in 2012. Gold Coast used this in the 2014 draft picking Jarrod Garlett at pick 15.

So not exactly a roaring success for anyone.

Well the 2013 pick (9) could have been Patrick Cripps, so I'd say we shouldn't have gotten smedts.

Too early on the 2014 players, but I like caddy. Just had a bad finish to this season.

If it was Cripps and caddy, I'd say win. As always, it's how you use he picks. We got Guthrie after smelts in the same draft....

We will possibly never know how good Smedts might have been. Injury has cruelled him so far. One last chance in 2017. The talent is there.

Caddy, as I have said elsewhere, is solid but not spectacular. I'm starting to doubt his ceiling is as high as I thought a couple of years back. But he too has had injury troubles and we will see the best of him in 2-3 years. Potential to be a solid B player but I doubt A-grade.

Overall though, as someone else pointed out, we were always going to lose this and it was just a matter of by how much. The how much right now is still pretty big.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bump.

We blatantly lost this one.

I'm still a bit confused as to how this worked, Caddy didn't join us in 2011 did he?

The original intention of the league was to only give 1 comp pick. The absolute underwhelming value the represented for Geelong encouraged the AFL to change it to two picks , and a post finishing position R1 , and a mid R1. There was a time limit of 5 years and also a rule that prevented immediate use.
Geelong traded one pick to GC , I think it was roughly P11 for P15 so we could get immediately into the draft.. nice in theory and we drafted Smedts... but this ranks with Menzel as the biggest waste of talent thru injury we have seen. We later traded the other pick to GC for Caddy. He at times has looked like he would become a strong player for us.
For the best player in the AFL ... atm neither has become close to a top50 player... 2 chances to get one player and we have basically got zip.
Now sometmes that just the way it goes. This was before FA.. if it was FA as in now , we would have only got one pick and in this period we were a strong team..so basically the same as Hawks got for Buddy.

Caddy would be best 22 in any team in the league. Smedts has had constant injury issues so we may never see him reach his potential. Considering Gaz has only played 20 of the last 50 or so games I wouldn't call this a massive loss. Plus Caddy is 23 and Smedts 24. Gaz is 32

We lost out... But not by much.. Abletts barely played the last 2 years.
Yeah but from 11' to 13' he won all 3 GC B&F as well as a Brownlow and before he did his shoulder in 14' he was the Brownlow medal favourite.

You compare that to Caddy who's in our best 22 but isn't setting the world on fire and Smedts who can't get more than 2 senior games in a row.

It smells like a GFC reaming so far to me.

Last edited:
Sydney or Western Bulldogs for starters.
Just looking at the Grand Final teams

Dogs
> McLean
> Dunkley
= Smith

Swans
> Richards
> Papley
> McGlynn
> Hewett
= Mills

We will possibly never know how good Smedts might have been. Injury has cruelled him so far. One last chance in 2017. The talent is there.

Caddy, as I have said elsewhere, is solid but not spectacular. I'm starting to doubt his ceiling is as high as I thought a couple of years back. But he too has had injury troubles and we will see the best of him in 2-3 years. Potential to be a solid B player but I doubt A-grade.

Overall though, as someone else pointed out, we were always going to lose this and it was just a matter of by how much. The how much right now is still pretty big.
Spot on. The question really poses an oxymoron-- Compensation for Ablett.
How many forget what state of player he was when he left- simply the very best in the country. Better than we have seen from Fyfe and Danger because he could and did do it all. Brilliant off both feet and hands , inside and outside mid.
There was no adequate compo for GAJ. I thought we should have been given GC's #1 draft pick. I wonder if we would have selected David Swallow- he certainly has had his share of issues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back