How will Cameron White be remembered

Remove this Banner Ad

But he could never turn them, he was more like 'Kumble' (without the talent) and turned his wrong'un.
Horribly overrated on here by the 'locals' so I can't blame that on him. He was a good to sometimes great domestic player but never had the next level in him.
I'd argue that he didn't put himself into the position to take it to the next level until it was too late.

But he could never turn them, he was more like 'Kumble' (without the talent) and turned his wrong'un.
Horribly overrated on here by the 'locals' so I can't blame that on him. He was a good to sometimes great domestic player but never had the next level in him.

out bowled Warne in a Shield game and took 10 wickets in the match, so he'll always have that.

Also, if he was from (for example) Queensland or Tasmania, would his success or failure matter nearly as much as it apparently has? He'd just be a good domestic player who wasn't quite good enough for international cricket. Seems like he's seen as a key pawn in the Victoria-NSW selection rivalry, and his "importance" seems to get overrated accordingly.

Mediocre cricketer gets selected for 90 ODIs..

I dare say a few other talented cricketers in Australia over the years would have liked to be that 'harshly treated'.

Being poorly treated is just as much about being selected when you shouldn't be as it is about not being selected when you should be be.

One thing I wonder is how different he would have developed if he didn't get the Captaincy so early. He was a great tactical Captain and led successful teams but his batting didn't develop as it was expected to and he stopped bowling himself.

When Wade got the Captaincy, White's batting really took off.

Good player who got the most out of his talent, without being a world beater.

Contrary to the tinfoil hat narrative on here, actually got plenty of opportunities as well.

Fair assessment - I was a massive advocate of his early on in his career, despite evidence of a shaky technique - when opportunities did come his way he never quite went the extra mile. A good cricketer, not a great one; should be fairly content with his career..

One of my favourite vics to watch when on song,one thing that hurt him when playing for his country (one day) was his inability to rotate the strike and chewing up a lot of dot balls,it was either 4 or nothing,saying that he's being a good domestic player in all forms for a long period and as someone said being made skipper so young didn't help him.

Never really got the feeling when he was in the side (ODI) that he was going to stay there. Performances have been solid enough, but has always been an understudy for someone. 2,000 runs @ 34 in ODIs isn't disgraceful but I don't think he's unlucky in that arena. Clarke, Hussey, Ponting, Watson, Warner, Smith, Bailey etc. are all guns of the 2000s and 2010s. Even Shaun Marsh who isn't an ODI regular averages 38. White would need to consistently average 40-45+ to knock out one of these guys.

I do think he has been a bit unlucky in T20Is. Averaging 33 striking at 132 is Warner/Smith territory. Since White debuted CA gave T20 caps to Pomersbach, Voges, North, Ferguson, Birt etc. who all played bugger all games. The selectors seem to alternate between using T20I to experiment with new players and to wheel out pensioners like Hogg, Hodge and Klinger. White is actually 3rd for T20Is played for Australia but can feel aggrieved when we name a T20I squad and he's not in it and one year they pick a kid who has played 3 good BBL games and the next year Maxy Klinger.

Was never a test quality bowler so was bizarre we picked him at #8 in India. Even weirder when we brought in Krejza and White barely bowled from #8. FC batting record is solid but more reflective of a long career than an outstanding one. Klinger has a better overall record and hasn't really been in contention for the test or ODI sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always have liked him.

Very savvy captain leading Victoria through an era of many successes in all formats, he was a good shield batsman - defensive technique wasn't quite up to scratch to make it at test level but there's no shame in that. Had a couple of excellent years around 2011 or so in ODI's where he was one of our most important players and looked likely for a leadership role in the Australian set-up. Regard him highly as a T20 batsman too and not surprising he was/is highly sought after by sides around the world with the absolutely remarkable power he could wallop the ball with - could look so awkward when trying to defend or poke singles, yet utterly in command putting the fear of god into bowlers if it was his day.

At one point in time had a great couple of years batting at 4 in the ODI side and looked like he was on the up but steadily declined. Was given plenty of opportunities, ultimately just didn't take them.

Bizarre decision to select him this summer still 18 months out from the next World Cup.

While he'll likely be remembered as a player who never lived up to his early potential the reality is he probably lacked the talent/technique to really dominate at the highest level albeit he was more than a handy contributor at times.
I disagree. His "potential" was never what the Herald-Sun kept telling us it was. First he was the next Warne, then he was a superbat in the making.

For a long time on actual results he was a dud at state level and showed little capacity to be anything else. He turned into a top tier state player because he did get everything out of himself (or as near as anyone ever does).

I disagree. His "potential" was never what the Herald-Sun kept telling us it was. First he was the next Warne, then he was a superbat in the making.

For a long time on actual results he was a dud at state level and showed little capacity to be anything else. He turned into a top tier state player because he did get everything out of himself (or as near as anyone ever does).
Well said, perhaps hype was a more apt term?

Good domestic player who was probably over hyped for awhile. Form fell off a cliff around 2011 world cup.

I think White was burdened by the weight of early expectation.

I always wondered whether his early ascendancy to the Victorian captaincy didn't 1) inflate his ego, resulting in his reputation as being a bit of a flog, and 2) hurt his prospects of a longterm international career, because as leader he chose to focus on his batting and never had a pressure from a captain encouraging him to keep working on his bowling. It's easy to say in hindsight - but if he was ever going to make it as a test cricketer, it probably had to be as an allrounder. We were so desperate for an allrounder for so long, and we had so little faith in every spinner we picked - even Lyon was on the cusp of being dropped a number of times, and as recently as 16 months ago.

He has a baggy green which means that, in my book, he's worthy of a high degree of respect. But he could've been so much more.

I think White was burdened by the weight of early expectation.

I always wondered whether his early ascendancy to the Victorian captaincy didn't 1) inflate his ego, resulting in his reputation as being a bit of a flog, and 2) hurt his prospects of a longterm international career, because as leader he chose to focus on his batting and never had a pressure from a captain encouraging him to keep working on his bowling. It's easy to say in hindsight - but if he was ever going to make it as a test cricketer, it probably had to be as an allrounder. We were so desperate for an allrounder for so long, and we had so little faith in every spinner we picked - even Lyon was on the cusp of being dropped a number of times, and as recently as 16 months ago.

He has a baggy green which means that, in my book, he's worthy of a high degree of respect. But he could've been so much more.

What the hell is this rubbish? White would be one of the most respected cricketers going around.

So was Hodge. Respected doesn't equal liked though.

:rolleyes:

Have literally not heard a bad word about White as a person anywhere.

Let me guess, you'd be bitterly clinging on to some long forgotten "incident" against Tasmania?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back