Prediction How will Cotchin's career pan out for remainder of 2023?

How will Cotchin's playing career pan out for the remainder of 2023?

• Will play out the season keeping up the status quo.

• Will retire after 300th game and help with coaching.

• Will be rested regularly past his 300th.

• Will be sent back to the 2's to help out the kids after too many lean games.

• Will turn back time and put in some blinders and make Corne's run the laps.

• Will be used primarily as sub.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status quo for me as it’s the way it is under the current coach. Papering over too many cracks with our real issues being an ageing list. He really should just retire at 300 and then go to visit Dimma in Denver. I want games put into our kids bc they’re our hope as guys like Cotchin Jack KMac etc etc are not part of our next premiership team.

Like it or not, we are still trying to win games in 2023; and I’d say despite it being unlikely (I don’t see it happening) we are trying to still make the Finals.

Expect we will see him rested and/ or used as the sub (or subbee) for the remainder of the season. Potentially if it becomes impossible for us to make it we may see him retire at that stage (as with Jack).

He deserves to play the season out. We still need him in the middle, he throws his body around and makes everyone earn their kick.

He’s still one of the few clean players we have, especially when the pressure is at its highest

Still comfortably is our best 22. One of the few players who is clean and can make the right decision.

Has been wasted this year up forward in a role not suited to him. The games (rounds 1/2) he has played as a genuine on baller have been to the standard you expect from an AFL midfielder. Clearly not the player he once was which is where people are stupid and compare him to the former version of himself but compared to who he is keeping out of the side he is still the better option.

Played in the middle and that's his position. Just play him there 50 to 60% of the time and the rest of the time have him resting on the bench.
Exactly what I was seeing was back to his best. All this BS move them to contribute works out the other way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked his work in the middle, he's still good there and Taranto needs the help until Hopper is back.

Once Hopper's back they can re-assess but I'd rather let him go out on his own terms, still one of our best centre clearance players.

I love Cotch but I think his inclusion in the team every week is stifling development of our kids.
I voted for him retiring after his 300th and coaching. That's more so what I want rather than what I think will happen.
He will likely play out the year and I don’t think Cotch will get into coaching. He seems like one who will be lost to the game after he retires, and that's fair enough.

Champion of the club and the best captain we have had since I started following the club as a kid.

the sooner he hits the "300" the better, dont want to risk a injury and falling just short of the milestone.
hoping its the Saints game and we use the occasion to inspire the team to a victory
he plays out the year in the midfield,and being the sub
just hoping the club announces his final game and give the army the chance to stand up and give this champ the send off he so richly deserves.

Jack and Cotchin dual retirement in round 23 against north, maybe tarrant gets his farewell in that game as well. Announce it well in advance and really build it up to pack the joint and get the former teammates along. Interesting to see what happens if finals are still on the cards at that stage, I'd still like to see them call it early in round 23 to avoid the weird/deflating send off that Edwards got in the finals loss at the gabba.

I love Cotch but I think his inclusion in the team every week is stifling development of our kids.
I voted for him retiring after his 300th and coaching. That's more so what I want rather than what I think will happen.
He will likely play out the year and I don’t think Cotch will get into coaching. He seems like one who will be lost to the game after he retires, and that's fair enough.

Champion of the club and the best captain we have had since I started following the club as a kid.

He'll end up working Channel 7 nothing surer. Hamish McLaughlin loves him and they always hire retired premiership captains for media work. Generally a couple years later they realise majority are terrible on camera and move them on a la the (S)cats captains the ginger who could only take his sister to Brownlow, and the bald punchable headed one.

the sooner he hits the "300" the better, dont want to risk a injury and falling just short of the milestone.
hoping its the Saints game and we use the occasion to inspire the team to a victory
he plays out the year in the midfield,and being the sub
just hoping the club announces his final game and give the army the chance to stand up and give this champ the send off he so richly deserves.
He is a 3 time premiership captain what does it really matter if he plays 298 or 308 games ffs

Should not be given even an afterthought

Playing in the middle alongside Martin in patches was the difference between winning and not . Had he played there earlier in the year who knows but I suspect we win the close ones. We’d be sitting in the 8 looking to launch toward the flag with everyone chirping on about how good we’ll be when Hopper , lynch etc return .
Unfortunately but not totally suprising Sonsie / Dow etc aren’t anywhere near ready to contribute at a high enough level and may never be .
Given those younger players lack of form I think the club has little choice but to put development phase on hold and see where it takes us .
Don’t be at all surprised if he along with Dusty , Jack and Prestia have a blinder of a last half of the year, club plays serious finals and despite all wanting him to continue he disappears never to be seen again around football .
I think he brings Prestia , Dusty and Jack into the game such is their understanding of one another .

lifetime AFL memebership ?
Richmond champion and triple-premiership captain Trent Cotchin will be inducted as an AFL Life Member at the competition's Season Launch in March. Cotchin qualified automatically for the top honour by reaching 300 games as either player or coach, including pre-season games and international rules contests.6 Feb 2023

He already got it long ago. His 300th against saints will be just another game. So many pumping up get to the Port game to celebrate Hardwick and support McQualter was the worst MCG turnout I can recall in years.

Back