Prediction How will Cotchin's career pan out for remainder of 2023?

How will Cotchin's playing career pan out for the remainder of 2023?

• Will play out the season keeping up the status quo.

• Will retire after 300th game and help with coaching.

• Will be rested regularly past his 300th.

• Will be sent back to the 2's to help out the kids after too many lean games.

• Will turn back time and put in some blinders and make Corne's run the laps.

• Will be used primarily as sub.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

He is a 3 time premiership captain what does it really matter if he plays 298 or 308 games ffs

Should not be given even an afterthought

I doubt the club or Cotch care. It’s just people on here carrying on about it

Cotchin is not holding any younger player out of the position he is playing

14 touches on 64% game time he is still getting enough of the ball to keep his spot

Only thing he is holding up is development of the younger players but they have to earn that spot first and currently its Sonsie's spot to take of cotchin and he has not done that

I tell ya what id love to see him play a few VFL games in the 2nd half of the season. Get him to 300 then once were into the last 4-6 weeks we need to play the likes of Sonsie in the 1's. Would be an amazing gesture towards the club if he went out that way

I tell ya what id love to see him play a few VFL games in the 2nd half of the season. Get him to 300 then once were into the last 4-6 weeks we need to play the likes of Sonsie in the 1's. Would be an amazing gesture towards the club if he went out that way
You still have to earn your spot though, not sure Sonsie has done that this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond champion and triple-premiership captain Trent Cotchin will be inducted as an AFL Life Member at the competition's Season Launch in March. Cotchin qualified automatically for the top honour by reaching 300 games as either player or coach, including pre-season games and international rules contests.6 Feb 2023

He already got it long ago. His 300th against saints will be just another game. So many pumping up get to the Port game to celebrate Hardwick and support McQualter was the worst MCG turnout I can recall in years.
Fair enough point about 300 games of anything getting a player AFL life membership. No one got the memo
we have Buddy playing 350, while the swans were in a grand final last year.
The milestone this week is Rioli 150 games for Richmond.
Edwards last year dropped off in form. This year the club is going poorly yet selectors keep picking Cotch and Jack.
Not dropping any role players either.
I guess list management considers people some times.
No retirement of Tarrant either mid year.
I guess 3 retire at year end a few get delisted.
At least the VFL team is playing well hope a few from there step into the 22.

Last edited:
You still have to earn your spot though, not sure Sonsie has done that this year

Earn your spot? But it's ok to be putrid to retain a spot in the ones? MRJ, Mansell, Cotchin, Graham and McIntosh have all had shocking years yet only MRJ was dropped once then brought straight back in on the back of a poor performance. Quality players play better when surrounded by good players and many lift when playing seniors. It's hard to sore like an eagle when you're surrounded by turkeys after all.

Earn your spot? But it's ok to be putrid to retain a spot in the ones? MRJ, Mansell, Cotchin, Graham and McIntosh have all had shocking years yet only MRJ was dropped once then brought straight back in on the back of a poor performance. Quality players play better when surrounded by good players and many lift when playing seniors. It's hard to sore like an eagle when you're surrounded by turkeys after all.
I think Cotchin has earned his spot;)

The plan would have been for him to be rested regularly injuries haven't allowed that to happen, the kids though have to work hard if they want in and Sonsie just hasn't been great this year so far, the others you mention have all performed better IMO.

What a champion this guy has been for our club.

People often talk about pillars.. Coach, Captain, CEO, President and Recruiting Manager.

Yes, we were blessed to have a great Coach, an incredibly intelligent CEO, a trail blazing President, and a reliable and trustworthy Recruiting Manager, but my goodness we were lucky to have Trent Cotchin as our fearless leader.

He made the club what it is today.

I love Dusty, Rance, Dimma, Peggy, Brendan, Balmey as much as anyone.. but if they are making one statue and one statue only, it's of this guy.

Make sure you are there on Saturday Night.

What a champion this guy has been for our club.

People often talk about pillars.. Coach, Captain, CEO, President and Recruiting Manager.

Yes, we were blessed to have a great Coach, an incredibly intelligent CEO, a trail blazing President, and a reliable and trustworthy Recruiting Manager, but my goodness we were lucky to have Trent Cotchin as our fearless leader.

He made the club what it is today.

I love Dusty, Rance, Dimma, Peggy, Brendan, Balmey as much as anyone.. but if they are making one statue and one statue only, it's of this guy.

Make sure you are there on Saturday Night.

I'll bet you $1000 there's gonna be a Dusty statue but no Cotchin statue. Royce and St Francis don't even have statues and they were in AFL team of the century and are Legends.

Still comfortably is our best 22. One of the few players who is clean and can make the right decision.

Has been wasted this year up forward in a role not suited to him. The games (rounds 1/2) he has played as a genuine on baller have been to the standard you expect from an AFL midfielder. Clearly not the player he once was which is where people are stupid and compare him to the former version of himself but compared to who he is keeping out of the side he is still the better option.

This is questionable to me.

I would question the clean part. I have seen Cotchin turn the ball over through simple foot skill errors this year and last moreso than what feels like his previous 10+ years combined

Some games he is a best 22 level player and maybe even closer to our top 10-15 performed players. But some he's been a liability over 4 quarters. He has lost his consistency and plays in bursts.

I think he's suited to being the sub. And I have said so since the preseason

Last edited:
Another brilliant game by our spiritual leader.

He has wound back the clock in the last couple of weeks. The great thing is he is not limping to his 300th. He is an important part of our team still.

Back