How will Jack Darling respond in 2016?

Remove this Banner Ad

Kicked 4? in a quarter the following season in another final but generally yes, he needs to perform more in big games.

He's not alone in that regard though.
Agreed. Darlings now been labeled as weak mentally and a player who doesnt turn up in big games, but you could argue JK and Hurn haven't exactly set the world alight come finals amongst numerous others. I have a feeling about Darlings 2017 and its a good one.

Agreed. Darlings now been labeled as weak mentally and a player who doesnt turn up in big games, but you could argue JK and Hurn haven't exactly set the world alight come finals amongst numerous others. I have a feeling about Darlings 2017 and its a good one.

Darling is still only 24, still 2-3 years away from his peak as a KPF.

He needs to impose himself on games more. He has all the potential to tear games apart.

Let's say he has another mediocre season and continues to not look like the guy to carry our forward line once JK shows sign of age (which could possibly be this year?). Has he disappointed us so much that we'd trade him next November to those purple bastards for something enticing... maybe Taberner and a first round pick? We could be heading towards a list do-over by then anyway...

Let's say he has another mediocre season and continues to not look like the guy to carry our forward line once JK shows sign of age (which could possibly be this year?). Has he disappointed us so much that we'd trade him next November to those purple bastards for something enticing... maybe Taberner and a first round pick? We could be heading towards a list do-over by then anyway...
Stopped reading at Tabener

Tabener? No. Do not want.

However, im ok with trading Darling for the right price. To me, he's the quality player you would trade to get quality back - a proven forward who most clubs would be keen to have, but could potentially be replaced on our list at this stage without the club taking too big of a hit. For example, if the Bulldogs came to the table and offered Bontempelli for Darling I'd be keen.

Wow we must have been watching different games this year

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

However, im ok with trading Darling for the right price. To me, he's the quality player you would trade to get quality back - a proven forward who most clubs would be keen to have, but could potentially be replaced on our list at this stage without the club taking too big of a hit. For example, if the Bulldogs came to the table and offered Bontempelli for Darling I'd be keen.
Yeah and if I was offered Dangerfield for McGinnity I'd take that too.

Well let's all cross our fingers and hope the Bullies list management guys start huffing a metric s**t tonne of solvents then :)

Well let's all cross our fingers and hope the Bullies list management guys start huffing a metric s**t tonne of solvents then :)
Or they put Tom liberatore in charge of list management since he's already started

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or they put Tom liberatore in charge of list management since he's already started
I find the adoration of the antics of Liberatore a bit bemusing I have to say. He's had some off field issues already and hasn't pulled his head in that much it seems. Although I could be wrong.

But if players go down the Ben Cousins route (hopefully never) we're told the clubs should have 'seen the signs' and done 'something' without any clue what those things should have been. But we praise the wild party boys, until they cross some imaginary line where the club should have put their foot down.

This isn't a shot at Libber or to suggest he might ever go down that path, but I find the difference in acceptance odd. I mean we're not talking vague rumours, he's been arrested for drug issues before.

I find the adoration of the antics of Liberatore a bit bemusing I have to say. He's had some off field issues already and hasn't pulled his head in that much it seems. Although I could be wrong.

But if players go down the Ben Cousins route (hopefully never) we're told the clubs should have 'seen the signs' and done 'something' without any clue what those things should have been. But we praise the wild party boys, until they cross some imaginary line where the club should have put their foot down.

This isn't a shot at Libber or to suggest he might ever go down that path, but I find the difference in acceptance odd. I mean we're not talking vague rumours, he's been arrested for drug issues before.
It's like there was some sort of collective embargo on criticism of the Bulldogs in 2016

Outsiders perspective. The last final Darling was pretty much the best eagles player in the first half imo. 2nd half the whole team failed but people will focus on the flinch moment that yes didnt look good. I actually think that flinch moment will be a defining moment in Darlings career and he will be better off after it. I remember Josh Hunt having an embarrassing moment like Darling and he came back bloody strong for the rest of his career. If I was a Eagles supporter I would be more worried about players whose pathetic efforts have gone unnoticed and their preseason will be relatively heat free. Darling will be burning inside to correct things and will be fine imo

Outsiders perspective. The last final Darling was pretty much the best eagles player in the first half imo. 2nd half the whole team failed but people will focus on the flinch moment that yes didnt look good. I actually think that flinch moment will be a defining moment in Darlings career and he will be better off after it. I remember Josh Hunt having an embarrassing moment like Darling and he came back bloody strong for the rest of his career. If I was a Eagles supporter I would be more worried about players whose pathetic efforts have gone unnoticed and their preseason will be relatively heat free. Darling will be burning inside to correct things and will be fine imo
Good post

Darling has the unfortunate legacy of making a really bad looking mistake in each of our last two losing finals - the dropped chest mark in the GF when he was 20m in the clear and the flinch moment. Both have been defining images of each loss so he's taking a lot of the heat but neither are even close to the reason for them

It's incumbent on Simpson to ensure the playing group as a whole take ownership of the poor performance and address their shortcomings individually. The coaching group, including Simpson, also need to take their share of the blame for a piss poor end to an inconsistent season that had its high points but too many failings in big moments

That said I don't think the players substandard efforts have gone unnoticed. Only time will tell if the issues have been adequately addressed

Wash your mouth out.

Well said. I agree and as I've said i am excited to see what Darling produces in 17.

Also did i just see Taberners name in this Darling thread? How insulting to the king

ps. Bont for Darling lol maybe Jk and Darling plus Duggan for the Bont might entice them.

Last edited:
Yeah and if I was offered Dangerfield for McGinnity I'd take that too.

Lol, yeah im playing it up a bit, but you get the idea. Darling is a solid player and would walk into a lot of teams as their primary forward. To a team desperate for forward options he could be worth a lot of coin.

A better thread would be how will Dom Sheed respond in 2017.
Just watching how bad he was in the GF and final this year, seems to fall apart when we need him to respond
in a big game.
He's the opposite of a big game performer.
Maybe we should get Tony Evans and Adam Hunter to mentor him.

sheed was 20 and 21 in those finals and fairly young. He wasn't the only one to choke in the GF and in the QF he had only just returned a month ago and his form was going to be questionable. He was good the week before but we our whole midfield stepped up and beat one of the weakest midfields in the top 8 without their best mid.

sheed was 20 and 21 in those finals and fairly young. He wasn't the only one to choke in the GF and in the QF he had only just returned a month ago and his form was going to be questionable. He was good the week before but we our whole midfield stepped up and beat one of the weakest midfields in the top 8 without their best mid.

He was our worst player in that GF, man look at Shane Bond as a 20 year old he was a nothing player managed to step up in a gf
As did Armstrong, age and injury never a excuse in a GF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back