Discussion How Will Jumpers Evolve In The Future?

Remove this Banner Ad

Advertising on socks is hardly the worst thing ever- but I'd rather see it as an actual part of the sock (same way the Nike or Adidas logo is fabricated as part of football sock). Perhaps on the back across the calf would be a good spot, for instance.

Also you'll never see MMA style advertising because in MMA, those shorts are the only premium sponsorship real-estate. In AFL they have entire kits with two sponsors on the jumper and one on the shorts, plus apparel sponsor, PLUS the league itself. (Which is the exact amount of individual sponsors on the shorts)
2889cropped.png

Worst you'd ever see would be something like what NRL jerseys have, I reckon.
I think they'll add a sponsor above the number first, then it'll be another sponsor on the chest. It would take a lot for full-size NRL-style chest sponsors. If soccer takes over and the AFL get desperate lel then maybe but otherwise this is the absolute worst we'd see, I'd imagine:
ad example-02.png

I think they'll add a sponsor above the number first, then it'll be another sponsor on the chest. It would take a lot for full-size NRL-style chest sponsors. If soccer takes over and the AFL get desperate lel then maybe but otherwise this is the absolute worst we'd see, I'd imagine:
View attachment 198212

Yeah could very well see something like this in the future.

We are still extremely conservative with clash jumper designs, but I think we will eventually move away from the white base/colour inversion default setting. Clubs will get a lot more adventurous, stepping away from their traditional colours and patterns, with changes every season like we see in European soccer.

Tequila Sunrise is on the horizon.....

unnamed.jpg

.....for Collingwood! :eek::eek::eek:

Good idea for a fred. I often find myself thinking about this.

Jumpers will be fully tailored to each player, and each player will have 4-5 at their disposal, each jumper optimised for a particular set of conditions. The standard jumper will be made from lightweight polyester and entwined with elastane and carbon fibre or kevlar to produce a super strong, flexible and lightweight jumper. Jumpers for hot weather will be incredibly thin, breathable and worn on the looser side. Jumpers for cold weather will be Tippett tight, slightly thicker and have a thin thermal layer. Wet weather jumpers will be similar to cold weather jumpers, only with grip pads around the chest. Long sleeves and gloves will be available to players who want them.

Probably a bridge too far, but I'd like to see LCD or LED panels embedded in the jumper to allow for animated sponsor logos and/or logos to rotate every 30 seconds or so. Yes, this would mean jumpers would have to be charged overnight before games or we'd have to integrate a small battery in the collar or something.

Designs will get more and more adventurous as manufacturers are given licence to do as they please by clubs. Expect to see swirls, gradients, watermarking, shadowing etc. as the norm on alternate kits and maybe even creeping on home kits. I think more than one club will trade one of their colours for a fluroscent shade of that colour (ATM, I'm thinking GWS, but Adelaide or GC I could see doing this with their yellows). I'd like to see numbers take on a reflective element, or even glow in the dark numbers. That'd be really cool.

I think we'll see more of this sort of stuff in regular jumper soon
http://shop.nmfc.com.au/north-melbourne-kangaroos-2016-mens-training-singlet-presale-114164.phtml
Eventually there'll be one-offs that look like this:
52062-adelaide-crows-2016-mens-cyan-training-guernsey-175.jpg

Supporters will complain, and the club will find the results of a study found the jumpers were very popular with the younger generation and that "they are the best selling jumpers at the club shop this year".
That's when the AFL will become soccer for throwhands.

Probably a bridge too far, but I'd like to see LCD or LED panels embedded in the jumper to allow for animated sponsor logos and/or logos to rotate every 30 seconds or so. Yes, this would mean jumpers would have to be charged overnight before games or we'd have to integrate a small battery in the collar or something.
Was thinking about the same thing the other day. I expect that probably will end up happening, you could have the battery inbuilt in the GPS possibly as well.

Although this is soccer related, I can see the same sort of tech coming to AFL one day.
image.jpg

My biggest fear with this is that it will lead to advertising having more than its fair share of guernsey space making the traditional guernsey designs that we all love redundant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If LED sponsorship turns up on jumpers I'll switch off
lol no you won't. If you can watch footy with some horrible jumper clashes, LED signs on the boundary fences, Brian Taylor's commentary and advertising painted/superimposed on the ground, you can survive with LED advertising on jumpers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back