Discussion How Will Jumpers Evolve In The Future?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope they don't slap a sponsor in the middle of the guernsey like they do in soccer.
Seeing those Lycra essendon eye sores got me thinking. Do they make onesies that look like afl guernseys, that's be cool.

I want to see teams use customised number fonts. Maybe some drop shadows, strokes that aren't just white and unnecessary ie Brisbane and Adelaide. Basically what the US sports teams do.

I want to see teams use customised number fonts. Maybe some drop shadows, strokes that aren't just white and unnecessary ie Brisbane and Adelaide. Basically what the US sports teams do.
That might happen, but personally I think it makes the league a little more professional. Having some continuity between the clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually, just a thought.
Will we see the players numbers appear on the shorts say, above the short sponsor as a way to make them more personalized and that way sell them for more $$?

For dick.

But this is getting quite abstract from the topic at hand.

I volunteer as tribute.

On a serious note, I think the names on jumpers will take off. Not in the way they've been testing them though. I can see clubs slapping a smaller number and the surname below it on the front of the jumper, in the same area as the front sponsors logo. That way on close ups of match ups etc between play, the name is visible, and people will quickly learn whose number is whose.

I volunteer as tribute.

On a serious note, I think the names on jumpers will take off. Not in the way they've been testing them though. I can see clubs slapping a smaller number and the surname below it on the front of the jumper, in the same area as the front sponsors logo. That way on close ups of match ups etc between play, the name is visible, and people will quickly learn whose number is whose.
Number I can see turning up on the front but not a surname, it would only work on the solid colours like ours and Carlton, it'd be un-readable on say Collingwood and even the wings of WC.

Bumping this thread because the OP is a genius.

But seriously, with GWS's picture jumper this week is this how jumpers will evolve?
Instead of designs, pictures?

MWNN and the Jumper Evolution Thread

Oh cool. An old thread with 4 pages, sounds interested too. Probably some interesting ideas and designs to read through.
97.gif

Oh yep, interesting. Cool. Hmm, "Essendon one piece"? I'll have to google that later. Never heard of that.

*Keeps scrolling down*

YqMJhQo.jpg

1376.gif

Bumping this thread because the OP is a genius.

But seriously, with GWS's picture jumper this week is this how jumpers will evolve?
Instead of designs, pictures?
I think, sadly, you might be right. I think we can perhaps put up with the odd one or 2 done well (as one-offs), but if it becomes the norm for regular jumpers I think that'd be unfortunate. Also, the designs creeping into the collars and cuffs might become more prevalent as time goes by.

As has been mentioned previously in this thread there's the potential for moving/changing graphics on jumpers ("smart" fabrics/E-textiles) - you could change your design briefly to the opposition's to get a sneaky handball-receive! Or dinky little fripperies such as Port having lighting flash on all their jumpers after a goal in sync with the boundary line screens. And more likely (groan) - scrolling advertising.

Would be interested to know how this would work without putting more weight on a jumper.

Wouldn't think it would be need to be honest. We already have level 1 and level 2 at most venues with electric fencing.
We probably don't need it. But if it were to be implemented it would need a lightweight wearble solar panel (similar to this)
Flex%20solar.jpg

And then an LED patch (like those ones at the Royal Melbourne Show)

As for what the jumpers are made of, the only change in the past 100 years was the recent on from wool to polyester. Before this there was canvas when the league was formed. Using past developments in jumpers as a guide to future possible developments, I say we will have our polyester jumpers for a while to come.

7zu5Dcf.jpg

As for the sponsors logos on jumpers, they only came about in 1977, and they have only grown from one side of the chest, to the back and on the shorts. The only growth in the sponsors logos on jumpers is what part of the jumper they can go. As can be seen on the diagram above, the area which is black is available for clubs to give to their sponsors. The area which is red is available for the company that makes the sportswear to place their logo. Allowing clubs to do what they want to with this area will allow clubs to independantly sell off the area, and decide on the size of font used. The only thing the league will control is the size of the area that is available.

An additional number will appear on the players, but not where the WAFL has their next number. The second number will appear on the shorts on the player. This area, like the back of clubs jumpers, are usually one colour which will allow numbers to be displayed and be seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back