Analysis How will Richmond lose this year???

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we blooded a few last year that look the part. Gibcus, Sonsie and Judson Clarke all look they will shine. Cumberland too, although it took Dimma forever to drop a seriously out of form George to bring him in, but when he did play he seized his opportunity. Good signs with our youngster IMO.

I think Cumberland, Gibcus and even Sonsie could easily be in game one. I would be surprised if they were not playing.

I am interested to see how Smith, Green, Banks, Brown, Clarke and others go and develop.

If all works out Gibcus, Cumberland, Sonsie really should be playing in the GF if we get there and they put in and showcase their talent onfield. If good enough there could be even more youngsters driving our team to even greater heights

In order of impact.

1) Injuries, particularly to Lynch, or mass injury numbers which leave us short in 1 or 2 areas.
2) Inaccurate kicking coupled with not bringing the loose ball pressure.
3) Longer term form drop off and keeping players in sides when they need a spell. Reiwoldt, Cotchin Grimes concern me at their worst.
4) Gameplan doesn't adapt to where it needs to (eg see 2) and/or Taranto and Hopper don't gel with our game style.
5)Umps. Let's not forget this is significant factor.

We find ways, when have our naps during games. Go back and watch the losses we had last year and you'll see what i mean.
Yeah I know
I was taking the piss mate

No team goes undefeated all season, it’s a brutal game at the elite level
Impossible to be on all the time

1 umpire bias against
2 slowest midfield in the history of the game
3 ball butchery in the middle (Tarranto main offender)

I was just thinking in terms of mitigating ways they can beat us.

We picked up Smith and we have Rioli.

If they can run and carry, with the footy, not get tackled clearly, bounce appropriately its hard for umpires to stop us in transition.

Furthermore, if Balta is banging the ball long it is hard for a umpire to stop a football in flight with no clear reason to create a free kick.

The other thing is, usually teams kick more than us or we kick less than them because in some part of the game they find a edge where they win and get impact from the possessions due to their player combination. So to a degree it comes down to matchups at least partially. To counter the way others play to mitigate matchup problems is to include versatility in the way we play where players can play in a few different ways with different roles. Not everyone is Dusty. If some of our players at times are looking in trouble in one role are they more effective in another role in a different part of the ground as part of a different team combo set-up?? Do we need our players to play slightly differently to beat a oppositions setup? This will only make our team combinations more robust and successful if we have flexibility in how we play to defeat certain oppositions set-ups.

Likewise players kick to Taranto and/or Hopper and they take a clear mark, harder for umpires to create a free kick against us

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Season 7 Sky GIF by The Simpsons
season 7 waylan smithers GIF
Season 7 Episode 24 GIF by The Simpsons

We will get to the bye round just in the 8 or maybe 9th. Then we will go on a tear winning every game on the way to beating another interstate team in the GF. My crystal ball predicts the GF score Richmond 17.12.114 defeat Sydney Swans 3.7.25. I ain't telling the misses the prediction though. 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back