Analysis How will Richmond lose this year???

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Lunch injured.
2. Backline even flakier than last season
3. Ruck depth if Nank gets injured or keeps giving away six frees per match.

In recent history it's been the midfield being smacked. So if we can keep the depth and structure in there we'll be in to beat anyone anywhere any time. Both injuries and integrating the 2 new guys are key.

On the umpires, hopefully things will even out a bit. We'll learn how to manage it better, and the umpires might chill on us. this has been going on long enough and with new management at AFL HQ hopefully the bias will slow a bit. We'll still lose the count most of time, hopefully not so biased. (Oh look! Flying pigs, and they are purple)
iu

If the scats drop off, the Dees stay flaky, the Lions don't improve etc then we should be the best team going. But so many ifs.

Judging by 2022, our game plan works fine, we have the best attack in the game, our defence is rock solid if the midfield can stop easy quick entry. And our midfield is reliant on meatball being fit. With Taranto and Hopper coming in hopefully that weakness stops. If our midfield holds up each week then we can win each game.

The loss of Lynch would hurt us, a lot. We can cover it structurally (JR, Miller, Ryan, Balta, Gibcus), not for quality. Whether the other talls could recreate what tom brings I doubt. But if they can create a contest then we can rely on the other small/mediums to score.

In recent history it's been the midfield being smacked. So if we can keep the depth and structure in there we'll be in to beat anyone anywhere any time. Both injuries and integrating the 2 new guys are key.

On the umpires, hopefully things will even out a bit. We'll learn how to manage it better, and the umpires might chill on us. this has been going on long enough and with new management at AFL HQ hopefully the bias will slow a bit. We'll still lose the count most of time, hopefully not so biased. (Oh look! Flying pigs, and they are purple)
iu

If the scats drop off, the Dees stay flaky, the Lions don't improve etc then we should be the best team going. But so many ifs.

Judging by 2022, our game plan works fine, we have the best attack in the game, our defence is rock solid if the midfield can stop easy quick entry. And our midfield is reliant on meatball being fit. With Taranto and Hopper coming in hopefully that weakness stops. If our midfield holds up each week then we can win each game.

The loss of Lynch would hurt us, a lot. We can cover it structurally (JR, Miller, Ryan, Balta, Gibcus), not for quality. Whether the other talls could recreate what tom brings I doubt. But if they can create a contest then we can rely on the other small/mediums to score.

I think our game needs to be revitalised.

I would like to see 120 points kicked per minimum with a average of at least 140 points in 2023 each match.

The opposition cannot kick more than 80 points and ideally if we can keep them to 50 points that would be good

I would like to see 120 points kicked per minimum with a average of at least 140 points in 2023 each match.

The opposition cannot kick more than 80 points and ideally if we can keep them to 50 points that would be good
So you want us to win by 90 points every week?

Some good points in this thread.
Slow midfield is an interesting one, and losing Lynchpin would be a problem without any obvious replacement.
The slow midfield can be nullified by adopting a gamestyle that suits, and considering we were a high-scoring team last season with Meatball playing mostly a lone hand in the centre when not injured, it should not be an issue with Taranto/Hopper and Dusty back fit.
Stupid gameplans, umpiring and injuries can still be a factor though.

Some good points in this thread.
Slow midfield is an interesting one, and losing Lynchpin would be a problem without any obvious replacement.
The slow midfield can be nullified by adopting a gamestyle that suits, and considering we were a high-scoring team last season with Meatball playing mostly a lone hand in the centre when not injured, it should not be an issue with Taranto/Hopper and Dusty back fit.
Stupid gameplans, umpiring and injuries can still be a factor though.

Is it a slow midfield?

Who are the would be culprits of a slow midfield?

I tend to think the ball moves fastest in the air.

Bolton plays on the wing at times Balta can rip it long and its in our forward line in next to no time if they are ready for it

If we did that we would be the greatest team of all time. So I hope you are right

Remember when Blues went undefeated the whole year then lost the last home and away game to a lowly Swans.

That smelt of Blues cleaning up at the bookies.

Edit - Just looked it up it was 1995, not last game. They lost 2 games that year, each by about 10 goals. Round 8 v Swans, round 9 v Saints. Both teams bottom 5. Guess they had to find a way to find that cash they paid their players in brown paper bags.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Problem for him was he put a target on his head.

Every mad campaigner knew who pulled the job and wanted their cut.

Only lived another 3 years from that famous job in 1976.

One thing we do know is with Geelong last year AFL HQ can stop a train and get any team to win if they really want to.

So that means we cannot get too cocky. We can't win all matches. Nor do we want to and draw attention to ourselves. It just means they come harder at us to try and beat like give Geelong pick seven from Gold Coast and give Geelong another soft draw. Notice all surprise finalists last year play Geelong twice this year, Collingwood, Freo and Swans so Geelong does not have to play Melbourne twice nor Brisbane twice.

Furthermore if we win, and lets hope we do, it is better to win out of nowwhere on a late run like in 2017 because that way they underestimate us in 2018 even though we got nabbed then to. Notice Hawks never smashed teams thoughout their strong period in the eighties.

We are playing 23 games this season, an extra game, so we can afford to lose a few early to sort ourselves out and let others get ahead of themselves. We do not want to be overestimating ourselves nor do we want teams overestimating us. It is better teams underestimate us if we sneak into finals to give us a better chance of wining and staying stronger for longer. Even if we sneak into the top four late its better rather than being a raging dominant team all year where other teams are finding ways to knock us off by year end. A premiership is a premiership, no need for egos to get in the way.

Last edited:
Some of it comes down to our fitness staff. In our premiership years we usually started slowly and built fitness to peak towards the end of the season going into finals. You can't go 100% for 26 weeks.

Swans used to do that, they are one of the younger teams to, WE play them magic round in Adelaide.

If we lost to Carlton first game it would be interesting, some seem to think Carlton might surge this year.

I have no issue with RFC flying under the radar. If fans get excited about CFC and Collingwood on a tear so there are finals in Melbourne, well RFC would just have to be a sleeping giant at the backend, come from nowwhere, win a few Melbourne finals and happy days

Last edited:
Usually the teams that come out blazing round 1'fade towards the end of the season (us in 2018).

The other thing is if we want JR and Cotch going strong in 2024, lets face it, why the hell would we not, we really should be pacing ourselves. Bit like Dangerfield with Geelong last year.

The other thing is we want to see what our youngsters can do and naturally try a few things to see what works best

Last edited:
One thing we do know is with Geelong last year AFL HQ can stop a train and get any team to win if they really want to.

So that means we cannot get too cocky. We can't win all matches. Nor do we want to and draw attention to ourselves. It just means they come harder at us to try and beat like give Geelong pick seven from Gold Coast and give Geelong another soft draw. Notice all surprise finalists last year play Geelong twice this year, Collingwood, Freo and Swans so Geelong does not have to play Melbourne twice nor Brisbane twice.

Furthermore if we win, and lets hope we do, it is better to win out of nowwhere on a late run like in 2017 because that way they underestimate us in 2018 even though we got nabbed then to. Notice Hawks never smashed teams thoughout their strong period in the eighties.

We are playing 23 games this season, an extra game, so we can afford to lose a few early to sort ourselves out and let others get ahead of themselves. We do not want to be overestimating ourselves nor do we want teams overestimating us. It is better teams underestimate us if we sneak into finals to give us a better chance of wining and staying stronger for longer. Even if we sneak into the top four late its better rather than being a raging dominant team all year where other teams are finding ways to knock us off by year end. A premiership is a premiership, no need for egos to get in the way.
I don't really buy your first sentence. Geelong have been around the mark for a long time, it's no surprise to see them eventually win one.

As for being underestimated, I don't think those in the know (ie, football departments) underestimate any contender. That is more the domain of supporters and the pathetic media outlets and so-called experts supposedly covering the game.

I agree a premiership is a premiership; but there's something definitive about finishing on top and winning the flag. Shuts everyone up. We've had 2 failed attempts since we last accomplished this feat in 1974 (1982 & 2018). Those of us who were around to witness our 1974 success would remember the esteem in which our team was held. Doing this in 2023 would be bliss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back