Strategy How will the 2019 Rule Changes Affect The Reigning Premiers

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
With the changes, how do you think we will be impacted?

Kick in :whitecheck:
Advantage Hurn. I can see him getting the ball even further away from our defensive line. Jetta will also benefit from this so all good.

Marking and Hands on Back Not Pushing :whitecheck:
Our Marks Brothers are already leading the AFL and I see their marking ability to gain from this so all good. Also have 2 of the best forward structures in marking so good up front. This will help Richmond as well.

6-6-6 :ballotcheck:
Not sure this is going to have much impact for anyone, more likely a gradual transition. Will stop LeCras, Cripps. etc starting from the back of the square and running but that has hardly been our weapon. Will stop the negative Nancies from the Paul Roos School of Coaching so the likes of Melbourne, Fremantle and Sydney may take some adjusting.

Man on the Mark Defensive Free/Mark:ballotcheck:
Not a big game changer in my assessment - most of our backwards kicking is faster moving it to the fat side so no real impact I would think.

Prior Opportunity Ruck :whitecheck:
Any changes that allow great rucks to dominate will help us when NicNat returns and probably hurt us intil he returns. That said, old Vardy seems to do alright pulling down the Sherrin and and slotting it through. Also thinking because we play 2 proper rucks, then it should help against the clubs playing the 190 pains in the arse. Overall - good for us.

Kicking Around Corners:ballotcheck:
All the hipsters are doing it so no advantage to anyone

Runners/Water -Only After Goals :whitecheck:
I thought given the hotter weather it mind hurt us but we will have worked out our Perth Stadium Hydration Strategy so should be an advantage. Oh, unless you are Collingwood and Elliott Yeo says "I'd of monstered that little Stepho pick anyway".

Play on from 50m Penalty :crossmark:
Rioli is a serial offender and so we may be negatively impacted because Mitchell will not be around to throw Gatorade on him

PK WCE

Debutant
Sep 24, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers, South Fremantle
So the water carriers can be on the ground during a stoppage of play but the runners can only be on the ground after a goal..

Watch the lil hot blonde water carrier girls turn into onfield coaches barking orders at players. Not as nice to look at...

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
So the water carriers can be on the ground during a stoppage of play but the runners can only be on the ground after a goal..

Watch the lil hot blonde water carrier girls turn into onfield coaches barking orders at players. Not as nice to look at...
Mona says - "Wash your tongue out"

upload_2018-10-11_14-19-5.png

Mich Malthouse says "I will walk out this time"
upload_2018-10-11_14-20-8.png

Belltower

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
No Spitter, Cripps has been extremely useful running off half back so it will have an impact. New plan required

A quick kick out of the middle will now go into a congested 50, don't see how that is going to stop congestion

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I see the hands in the back as a disadvantage. Our backs do a great job of marking without taking body contact so we don't benefit here.

But it gives license to back men to scrag JK and JD even more if I'm understanding it correctly, which is not ideal considering they already cop a rough trot in regards to that.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
No Spitter, Cripps has been extremely useful running off half back so it will have an impact. New plan required

A quick kick out of the middle will now go into a congested 50, don't see how that is going to stop congestion
The splitter role will mean we need a change.

Bunga will now be able to reach deeper into the centre square and wings. Surely that will be less congested than little passes to the pockets!

Any rule that allows the better teams to play more free flowing football will surely be of assistance to our game strategy.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
I see the hands in the back as a disadvantage. Our backs do a great job of marking without taking body contact so we don't benefit here.

But it gives license to back men to scrag JK and JD even more if I'm understanding it correctly, which is not ideal considering they already cop a rough trot in regards to that.
AFL admitted that the this is more interpretation or clarification that the umpires had effectively stopped awarding free kicks like they were on this interpretation 2 to 3 years ago.

Also - I saw Barrass on Cox nicely nudging him out - it helps us. Our strength of marking is from superior judgement.

The change from what I read/heard on interview was that it did not make it an automatic free kick having your hands on the opposition, they will still award a free kick for interference. So if no push, no free kick.

Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
6-6-6 :ballotcheck:
Not sure this is going to have much impact for anyone, more likely a gradual transition. Will stop LeCras, Cripps. etc starting from the back of the square and running but that has hardly been our weapon. Will stop the negative Nancies from the Paul Roos School of Coaching so the likes of Melbourne, Fremantle and Sydney may take some adjusting.
Reckon this might have a detrimental effect on the league as a whole. Team gets a run on, can't put extra behind the ball to stem it, game over.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
AFL admitted that the this is more interpretation or clarification that the umpires had effectively stopped awarding free kicks like they were on this interpretation 2 to 3 years ago.

Also - I saw Barrass on Cox nicely nudging him out - it helps us. Our strength of marking is from superior judgement.

The change from what I read/heard on interview was that it did not make it an automatic free kick having your hands on the opposition, they will still award a free kick for interference. So if no push, no free kick.

So you can use your hands to hold your distance from an opponent instead of a forearm now and provided you don’t shove them within 5m of the ball it's OK? I can get on board with that.

TB has come a long way this year in his body positioning. A few forwards have got hold of him but he has kept working at it and owned Cox through the finals.

Aug 14, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardiff City
The changes will have a massive impact - far, far greater than most will anticipate.

6-6-6 means now you cannot start with a spare in defence.

Centre clearances will become vastly more important and won't be impeded by runners off the back of the centre square.

Expect high scoring games and many, many, high scoring blowouts.

The majority of teams will play with two rucks now, parking one in the goalsquare for centre bounces.

Teams with good key position players at both ends, particularly defence, will be advantaged by these changes - this bodes well for us.

However teams lacking key defensive talls will be left with very few tactical options to stem the bleeding if the opposition midfield gets on top - it is for this reason that I hate these changes.

I anticipate the absurdity of watching a defensive spare having to sprint the length of the ground into forward 50 every time a goal is kicked.

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
The changes will have a massive impact - far, far greater than most will anticipate.

6-6-6 means now you cannot start with a spare in defence.

Centre clearances will become vastly more important and won't be impeded by runners off the back of the centre square.

Expect high scoring games and many, many, high scoring blowouts.

The majority of teams will play with two rucks now, parking one in the goalsquare for centre bounces.

Teams with good key position players at both ends, particularly defence, will be advantaged by these changes - this bodes well for us.

However teams lacking key defensive talls will be left with very few tactical options to stem the bleeding if the opposition midfield gets on top - it is for this reason that I hate these changes.

I anticipate the absurdity of watching a defensive spare having to sprint the length of the ground into forward 50 every time a goal is kicked.
Agree, if the AFL want closer games they've just implemented a rule that will likely have the opposite effect. Not like the AFL to bring in a rule that will have unintended consequences.
Hope Nic Nat comes back fit and firing in the middle of the year, his ruck work in the middle will be even more damaging than it was in the past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
With the changes, how do you think we will be impacted?

Kicking Around Corners:ballotcheck:
All the hipsters are doing it so no advantage to anyone

Don't understand this one to be honest. They're saying that they are allowed to do it after the siren as long as they stay in line with the mark? Hasn't it always been the case that you can kick anyway you want after the siren as long as you stay in line with the mark? The issue is that if you are standing in line with the mark and step outwards to snap the kick you are no longer in line with the mark and therefore play on/no goal?

Don't think it will affect the good games to much - the bad games where one team dominates will be even bigger blowouts. A win for the AFL as more goals = more ads = more minutes to sell to potential clients. Nothing to do with quality of the game.

Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Not convinced by the 6-6-6 and think it will have the opposite effect. If you cant put a spare behind the ball, teams will go ultra defensive in the centre square with the sole goal of creating a 2nd stoppage. Then their players are free to move wherever.

Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
Can't wait for the spate of Razor Ray technical free kicks because a bloke is too slow in getting there. Also can't wait for the spate of free kicks because a bloke forgets he is the spare. This netball rule is as bad as the ruck nomination rule.

The rules suck and you all know it
Yeah. But they sucked before as well.

MerryHell

All Australian
Sep 27, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Yep people are starting to catch on the starting positions rule change is the big one - the rest are meh, tweaks - this is a fundamental change / restriction, I’m shocked they are doing this. So many what if scenarios... will increase blowouts when teams have momentum. What if player is injured in the wrong spot. How long can players take to get into position after goal. Be careful when interchanging you aren’t in the wrong zone. This creates so many absurd technical free situations. Madness.

JohnW

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

Spitter both ways.

Start cripps in the back line he can run forward. Start a defender in the forward line he can do the opposite.

End Game

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
The idea of the rule changes is to increase scoring. More goals scored more advertisements on commercial television. More ads, more coin. That is the bottom line.
Or endgame if you prefer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back