Originally posted by X_box_X
I reckon the top 6 will finish -

Adelaide 36ers
Wollongong Hawks
Townsville Crocs
Victoria Titans
Melbourne Tigers
West Sydney Razors

LMAO!! Wheres Perth!! The mighty Wildcats hold the record for most consecutive finals apperances having not missed one finals series since 1987!!! No reason for that streak to end this year.

Victoria Titans
Wollongong Hawks
Adelaide 36ers
Perth Wildcats
West Sydney Razorbacks
Townsville Crocs

These are real early predictions though. I think the only certainties for finals action are the Titans, Wildcats and 36ers.

It was either Melbourne, West Sydney, Perth or Sydney for the last two spots Jod. I thought Melbourne will probably lose Gaze, so thats why I chose them to finish out of the top 4, And I dont know whats happening with Heal, so that could leave Sydney out of Contention!

Melbourne are too old now and wont figure in the Finals, Sydney are a chance but will probably squabble with there cross town rivals for a spot. Not sure whats wrong with McKinnon either, if he is out for a long period of time, kiss finals action goodbye for Townsville.

I can tell you now Adelaide are no certainties for the finals.

We've lost Maley, Davis, Mee and Brooks. That's a lot of talent, experience and depth missing. They've been replaced by import Willie Farley, who looks like an exciting prospect, and rookies Jacob Holmes (guard) and Oscar Forman (6-9 forward). Stiff has returned after missing most of last year with injury.

At the moment we have a reasonably young list, I'm not sure how we'll go but a finals appearance looks shakey (though naturally I still think we'll make it ;) )

My final 6 (in no particular order)

Perth
Victoria
Woollongong
West Sydney
Townsville
Adelaide

Melbourne and Sydney just outside

As Jod said it's still very hard to tell, especially with no Blitz this year.

Originally posted by ant
I can tell you now Adelaide are no certainties for the finals.

We've lost Maley, Davis, Mee and Brooks. That's a lot of talent, experience and depth missing. They've been replaced by import Willie Farley, who looks like an exciting prospect, and rookies Jacob Holmes (guard) and Oscar Forman (6-9 forward). Stiff has returned after missing most of last year with injury.

At the moment we have a reasonably young list, I'm not sure how we'll go but a finals appearance looks shakey (though naturally I still think we'll make it ;) )

My final 6 (in no particular order)

Perth
Victoria
Woollongong
West Sydney
Townsville
Adelaide

Melbourne and Sydney just outside

As Jod said it's still very hard to tell, especially with no Blitz this year.

Yeah i like the blitz, gives a reasonable indication on where everyone will be and at the very least gives you some info. Perth have there first 5 or 6 games i think of the season on a huge eastern road trip!!! :eek:

If we dont have our act together early in the season we could end up missing the Finals. Last year the Entertainment Centre was turned into the fortress it once was back in the 90's. I think we only lost one game at home last year. So to come out even in that big road trip to start the season is huge!

Are you guys notoriously slow starters?? If you could get off to a reasonable start like you said, you could gather great momentum down the stretch and go into the finals with confidence. I wouldn't worry about Perth missing the finals.

I can't wait for this weekend though, opening night at the Powerhouse, versus the old enemies, the Wildcats, should be huge!!

Originally posted by ant
Are you guys notoriously slow starters?? If you could get off to a reasonable start like you said, you could gather great momentum down the stretch and go into the finals with confidence. I wouldn't worry about Perth missing the finals.

I can't wait for this weekend though, opening night at the Powerhouse, versus the old enemies, the Wildcats, should be huge!!

Yeah it should be a great opening night against the 36ers and will continue the best rivalry in NBL history. Hope the Cats can get up and put there season on a winning track right from the get go.

I think the only injury doubt we are bringing in is Harvey so we should be close to full strength. We will also get to see some new imports, both our imports may play if Harvey doesnt come up.

Originally posted by jod23
Just reading up on some NBL stuff and i completely forgot that McKinnon was traded to West Sydney!! Pencil the Razorbacks in for some finals action. Rucker, Rillie and McKinnon .... tough to stop.

That depends on how long it takes for him (McKinnon) to get over his knee injury. He was interviewed on Foxsports news during the week and didn't know himself when he'd be back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Shermanator
My six.

Victoria
Wollongong
Townsville
Sydney
West Sydney
Perth/Melbourne.

With the HUGE road trip first up and injuries to key players, Rodgers and Harvey the Cats might struggle early and find it hard to get back from there.

You could be right, we have our first 5 games away from home in the longest roadtrip in NBL history! :eek: So it is vital to win a the very least 2 of those first 5 games. Harvey i think will travel with the team but may not play until 2 or 3 games into the road trip but im pretty sure Rogers is fine. If both our imports can play well then i see no reason why we wont make the playoffs. I mean we do have the best big man (Rogers) and small man (Grace) in the NBL!

Originally posted by jod23

You could be right, we have our first 5 games away from home in the longest roadtrip in NBL history! :eek: So it is vital to win a the very least 2 of those first 5 games. Harvey i think will travel with the team but may not play until 2 or 3 games into the road trip but im pretty sure Rogers is fine. If both our imports can play well then i see no reason why we wont make the playoffs. I mean we do have the best big man (Rogers) and small man (Grace) in the NBL!

Yeah Jod, it may very well be the longest road trip in BBall history! and I agree if the Cats win anymore than 2 they will put themselves in a good position for the rest of the season.

Although, the only worry is our bench depth. If Mendez doesn't work out, we don't have a "ready made" swingman to fill Timmons' vacancy. Carmie is still raw and Thompson is hot and cold and maybe to small for that particular position full time. When you take players of the calibre of Fisher and Timmons from that 3 spot there is alot of ground to make up....

Originally posted by Shermanator

Yeah Jod, it may very well be the longest road trip in BBall history! and I agree if the Cats win anymore than 2 they will put themselves in a good position for the rest of the season.

Although, the only worry is our bench depth. If Mendez doesn't work out, we don't have a "ready made" swingman to fill Timmons' vacancy. Carmie is still raw and Thompson is hot and cold and maybe to small for that particular position full time. When you take players of the calibre of Fisher and Timmons from that 3 spot there is alot of ground to make up....

I agree, if Mendez and the other import (keep forgetting his name!!) dont fill the gaps and fit in right off the bat then we could be in some trouble. Carmie looks the goods but as you said he is still raw and your spot on with Thompson. Can we get it done though with Grace, Harvey, Vlahov and Rogers pulling the baulk and players like Carmie, Black and Thompson picking up the slack. Probably not....thats why Mendez and ??? have to get it done.

1. Adelaide
2. Melbourne
3. Victoria
4. Wollongong
5. Perth
6. Townsville

The Tigers are certainties to make the 6 for one reason: Marcus Timmons. Gaze, Bradtke and Copeland might be one year older, but Timmons is one of the top players in the NBL. With those 4 and a Boomer in Daniel Egan the starting 5, it is a better 5 than when we won 17 straight.

The bench is also pretty good. Nathan Taylor would possibly have been 11th man if Jeffries was fit, and he scored 9 in the second quarter.

Sure, the defence will still suck and we'll give away our huge leads week after week, but with scoring power like that that won't matter. Titans are supposed to be the best defensive side and we almost scored 40 in the first quarter

Townsville will struggle without MacKinnon. Titans will be thereabouts after Wheeler and Smith come back. Wollongong will be thereabouts again, but I think they were lucky last year. Perth won't win the title without Timmons. And as for the Kings ...... well they've had their one year. If there history is anything to go by, they might not win a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back