Prediction How will we go over the next 3-4 years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Carmo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
I have our full record at Adelaide Oval, and it's pretty good:

We've won 13 of our last 15 games at home, and our total win 'percentage' at Adelaide Oval is 67% (25 out of 37) - in other words, more than two-thirds of all our games at Adelaide Oval.

Great post. I had no idea our record was so good. If it were me I'd be only looking at our 2015 and 2016 seasons as being representitive of our likely performance in the next year or two. 2014 was under Sando and i believe he had us underperforming, plus our game style was different to the current attacking one that it is.

Excluding 2014 and finals we're like 21 from 24. Thats around 90% winning ratio!!

EDIT oops, miscount, 19 from 24, so 75%.

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Great post. I had no idea our record was so good. If it were me I'd be only looking at our 2015 and 2016 seasons as being representitive of our likely performance in the next year or two. 2014 was under Sando and i believe he had us underperforming, plus our game style was different to the current attacking one that it is.

Excluding 2014 and finals we're like 21 from 24. Thats around 90% winning ratio!!

EDIT oops, miscount, 19 from 24, so 75%.
An AFL side would take a 75% home ground record any day of the week. Let's translate that into finals success!

Rabman

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide, Arsenal.
I have our full record at Adelaide Oval, and it's pretty good:

We've won 13 of our last 15 games at home, and our total win 'percentage' at Adelaide Oval is 67% (25 out of 37) - in other words, more than two-thirds of all our games at Adelaide Oval.

GWS
Essendon
Richmond
Melbourne
Fremantle
St.Kilda

Hawthorn
Bulldogs
Geelong
Port Power
Sydney
The first 6 games are certainly winnable, GWS get cold feet when they play in front of big crowds outside their own state, need to take advantage of that. Think Geelong and Hawthorn are more psychological games, win those where setting ourselves up for a good year. I would expect 9-11 wins.

PCORF

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
GWS
Essendon
Richmond
Melbourne
Fremantle
St.Kilda

Hawthorn
Bulldogs
Geelong
Port Power
Sydney
The first 6 games are certainly winnable, GWS get cold feet when they play in front of big crowds outside their own state, need to take advantage of that. Think Geelong and Hawthorn are more psychological games, win those where setting ourselves up for a good year. I would expect 9-11 wins.

It certainly is important to win as many home games as possible. Our best home record was 9-1 in 1993, followed by 2012 11-2 and 2016 10-2 including finals. All 3 of those seasons saw finals action.

Rabman

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide, Arsenal.
It certainly is important to win as many home games as possible. Our best home record was 9-1 in 1993, followed by 2012 11-2 and 2016 10-2 including finals. All 3 of those seasons saw finals action.
When i go to Adelaide oval i always expect to win. GWS like i said get cold feet when they play in front of big crowds away from home (proven against us on 2 occasions), Hawthorn, Geelong games are more psycological battles we really need to overcome, Bulldogs, Sydney and Port as usual are all tough games but should win. All the others are non-negotiable have to win. Would expect 10 if not all home wins next year.

fairfooty

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2010
Adelaide Hills
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg, Chelsea
We will finish 6th next year among a very tough competition and most teams in the top 8 have a chance to win it all next year. But wouldn't be surprised if Adelaide play very well and then suddenly bang .... you know what I'm about to say. So yeah 6th, top 4 is not easy to reach in a no room for error season and you think Adelaide will probably drop a game or two they really need to win.

2016 was an awesome season if you don't include the Round 23 disaster.

And guess who we play round 23 in 2017?

douglyzia

Premiership Player
Sep 24, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hoping for a premiership, but more than likely finishing in the 4-12 range as usual depending on injuries. I've been conditioned to disappointment, but if the Bulldogs supporters can persevere for decades, I guess I can persevere for a few more years.

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
An AFL side would take a 75% home ground record any day of the week. Let's translate that into finals success!

Helps if you don't drop your bag in R23 and miss out on a top 4 or even top 2 position.

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Hoping for a premiership, but more than likely finishing in the 4-12 range as usual depending on injuries. I've been conditioned to disappointment, but if the Bulldogs supporters can persevere for decades, I guess I can persevere for a few more years.

4-12 range your more confident than me.
I've got us 1-17. ;)
Can't ever see us getting the no. 1 draft pick.

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
And guess who we play round 23 in 2017?

AFL aren't very creative are they.
Every year R23 Crows v Eagles.
But all 9 games on Saturday at 12am
Going to be hard to watch them all at the same time.

AFL aren't very creative are they.
Every year R23 Crows v Eagles.
But all 9 games on Saturday at 12am
Going to be hard to watch them all at the same time.
The AFL don't like the poor Victorian teams to travel in the final round.

Apparently it is not an issue for the non-Victorian teams...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Typical AFC disappearing act when it counts

On the plus side, nailed it...
This should be a good bump in a few years time.

I'm expecting more minor round success and more major round not-quite-good-enough.

I'm expecting one of our top 5 players or most promising young players to leave the club and win a premiership at his new club

Basically I'm expecting disappointment

Btw I don't think GWS are quite the god tier many people perceive. Arguably the Dogs are younger and more talented in the important roles. Others will challenge too. It's going to be a tough competition.

officialjc

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
my early prediction for the 2018 ladder.
1 gws
2 sydney
3 melbourne
4 richmond
5 adelaide
6 geelong
7 collingwood
8 hawthorn
9 port
10 essendon
11 st kilda
12 west coast
13 brisbane
14 fremanlte
15 carlton
16 western bulldogs
17 north melbourne
18 gold coast

PCORF

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
If the good Crows show up in 2018 we have another chance at it. I think Sydney will be back in the top 4 in 2018.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Depends what we learn from today.

If I was Fages the first order of business would be to try and get as many MCG games as possible. I know we play Melbourne in Darwin but that needs to end.

Houston

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
We'll be at the pointy end of the ladder for the next 3-4 years. We won't win the flag though, that was the core of this groups best chance.

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Next year we will slip out of the top 4 given we lose Smith, Lever and most likely Cameron and mitigate their loss with SANFL depth players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back