Preview How will we line up in R1 v Brisbane Lions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven’t read through the full thread, apologies if this has been said earlier.

I know we all like to play around with our virtual magnets and while we have every right to be excited by some of the talent coming through, and I’m unashamedly a Watson Fanboi in particular, there is no way we should be breaking up that back seven unless we have to. I mean Schoey hasn’t even got a look in after his cracking last game. Watto and others can bide their time for the opportunities that will no doubt present themselves as the season progress.

He was very noticeable at the training session that I went to. He has, from all accounts done very little wrong this pre-season, building on some good end of season form from last year, had a great first up pre-season game, but that doesn’t mean we try to fashion a position for him in what is arguably the best defensive unit in the league, whose incumbent members have not put a foot wrong. That’s exactly how it should be. He is in his third year trying to crack a spot in the reigning premier’s team. It should be tough. Show the maturity that is required and knuckle down and keep presenting.

And talk of him possibly taking over Masten’s wing. Please. Why on earth would we debut a young guy in a position that he is unfamiliar in? Particularly, when you have a 150+ game veteran who had a pretty decent previous season and has not done too much wrong in this pre-season. He was horrible in that first 10 mins, but meh. He did some nice things later on. The guys who attend training often could probs answer this – how often has Watto trained with the mids group?

A lot of these discussions seem to assume no injuries.

KamakazeSalami Watson has never tried with the mids as far as I’ve seen, always with the defenders
I didn't think so. I've been reading all your training reports mate and I know you have a soft spot for him, it's certainly something you would've reported.

Suggestions that he can simply move up the ground and take Masten's wing because he's been training well and had a good pre-season game ignore the reality of the club's plans for him.

Sent from my CPH1707 using Tapatalk

Expect Sheppard to Explode due to his injury. Have very high hopes for him (hes already very good. But I feel that miss on cup may make him take his stuff to next level which I don't know how it would look)

In regards to Petch I too have doubts but then I realized this.

I think Petch will be a player that would only be good in a good team. If you put him in carlton then he struggles and would get dropped due to low possessions (prediction).

But since we are the best team his addition would be beneficial (speed + overlap). Think of Petch like Daisy Thomas or Jeff Garlett where they excel in good teams. I want to say hes like Jetta if he played FWD but his kicking isn't quite as good.

I reckon Jarrod Cameron >>> Petch

Impressive he's in the mix for Round 1.

We're spoilt for young talent and we haven't even seen our other 2018 draftees like Williams, Foley or O'Neil yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know we all like to play around with our virtual magnets and while we have every right to be excited by some of the talent coming through, and I’m unashamedly a Watson Fanboi in particular, there is no way we should be breaking up that back seven unless we have to. I mean Schoey hasn’t even got a look in after his cracking last game. Watto and others can bide their time for the opportunities that will no doubt present themselves as the season progress.

I don't think Schoey is being overlooked for Watson, they play very different roles and aren't really in competition.
It's more a case that Watson would come in to replace a Jetta, Duggan or Cole.
And Schoey would replace one of the talls.
Both could possibly replace a Shep as he seems t be able play small or tall.

I don't think Schoey is being overlooked for Watson, they play very different roles and aren't really in competition.
It's more a case that Watson would come in to replace a Jetta, Duggan or Cole.
And Schoey would replace one of the talls.
Both could possibly replace a Shep as he seems t be able play small or tall.
I may not have been clear. I wasn't suggesting Watson was a replacement for Schoey. The point I was making was that while he has been knocking on the door, he is behind others and will have to wait his turn when it presents itself. I brought up Schoey to show that even he is looking like he will be playing back in the ressies after his stellar GF and not doing much wrong this pre-season (although probably not the best example given he is suffering a quad injury at the moment).

Sent from my CPH1707 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back