Preview How will we line up in R1 v Brisbane Lions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Surprised that so many think Kennedy will play in R1. I just dont see it with the longest trip in football in round 1 and our stated desire to manage him. He didnt play either JLT. Not ruling it out but Id be very surprised to see him named.

I think Brander is equally as talented as Oscar Allen, it's a really hard one to pick. Oscar might be a better set shot though and perhaps that's why they're using Brander on the wing and Oscar up forward.

Perhaps they see Brander as an eventual FF, but Oscar is the better 3rd man up in our current line up?

Both are too good for the WAFL much like Barrass was a few years ago and I'm backing Simpson to get it right within the first 5 games.

Allen, Brander, Watson, Schofield, Petruccelle, Nelson, Venables, Mallen, Ah Chee

There's some handy depth there and I think at least 6 of them are too good for the WAFL but might get stuck there for team balance.

The problem with Waterman is that at WAFL level he becomes a traditional KPF rather than that HFF that pushes down the ground. He's got a great tank on him and if he does that play a genuine KPF role for our reserves, he should atleast push down the ground as a CHF (Nick Reiwoldt style).
With McInnes, Williams and Brooksby, I think our WAFL team will more likely allow our 3rd talls to play the roles we want them at AFL

Surprised that so many think Kennedy will play in R1. I just dont see it with the longest trip in football in round 1 and our stated desire to manage him. He didnt play either JLT. Not ruling it out but Id be very surprised to see him named.

I agree, think it would be a horrible idea to fly him all the way over here when he can get the extra week recovery and save himself a plane ride.

Assuming Cripps and Kennedy don't get up for Round 1, if we play a forward line of

Ryan Rioli Allen Waterman Venables Petruccelle Darling... that's 6 guys who debuted last year and Darling.

Is that getting a bit #toofartheotherway for anyone else?
McInnes will get the nod for seniority

Sheppard - Sheppard - Sheppard

Sheppard - Sheppard - Sheppard - Sheppard

In light of events over the weekend I'd like to formally apologise for this post.

My prediction for R1.

FB: Sheppard Barrass Cole
HB: Hurn McGovern Jetta
C: Masten Redden Sheed
HF: Rioli Ollen Venables
FF: Petruccelle Darling Ryan

R: Hickey Yeo Shuey

I: Vardy Duggan Hutchings Brander
E: Waterman Schofield Ah Chee Watson

I liked the role of Brander through the JLT, starting on the wing & float back or forward to create an extra man or mismatch.
He looked quite composed down back with the ball. I expect him to surprise this season, as he could allow Gov to continue his intercept greatness.

Going to be a difficult choice to fit Gaff back in, assuming no injuries/suspensions. Likely to be Masten, even though he impressed me in JLT2.
Cripps, JK, NN more obvious changes eventually with straight swaps for Petruccelle, Ollen, Hickey, even though those 3 showed plenty in JLT.

Shows great depth as we go for B2B, with 30 solid AFL-quality players ready to play.

My prediction for R1.

FB: Sheppard Barrass Cole
HB: Hurn McGovern Jetta
C: Masten Redden Sheed
HF: Rioli Ollen Venables
FF: Petruccelle Darling Ryan

R: Hickey Yeo Shuey

I: Vardy Duggan Hutchings Brander
E: Waterman Schofield Ah Chee Watson

I liked the role of Brander through the JLT, starting on the wing & float back or forward to create an extra man or mismatch.
He looked quite composed down back with the ball. I expect him to surprise this season, as he could allow Gov to continue his intercept greatness.

Going to be a difficult choice to fit Gaff back in, assuming no injuries/suspensions. Likely to be Masten, even though he impressed me in JLT2.
Cripps, JK, NN more obvious changes eventually with straight swaps for Petruccelle, Ollen, Hickey, even though those 3 showed plenty in JLT.

Shows great depth as we go for B2B, with 30 solid AFL-quality players ready to play.

Think this is spot on. The inclusion of Brander excites, really hope he and Allen have break outs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I the only one a lil worried about venables?? Have huge hopes for him but seems to go missing a lot n struggles to find the footy, atm I think Petra is showing abit more as that small forward type

Backs (7) : McGovern, barrass, Hurn, Jetta, Duggan, Cole, Sheppard (Watson)

Mids (8) : Vardy, Hickey, Yeo, Shuey, redden, Sheed, Hutchings, Masten

Forwards (7) : Kennedy (Brander), Darling, Oallen, Ryan, Rioli, Venables, Petruccelle

Watson plays if shepp doesn’t get up on the assumption that Schofield isn’t match fit and that the MC showed a penchant last year giving young guys a game when the opportunity arose

Brander plays if Kennedy doesn’t although there’s a case for Waterman if Simpson wants to troll a famished feline and that he’s a little more experienced than brander if only slightly

Competition for spots is fierce with gaff and Cripps still to come into that side. And that Fijian dude

Don't reckon we need Brander even if Kennedy doesn't get up.

Darling + Allen as our KPF's with Vardy resting up there.

I reckon he'd be a decent forward pocket, backup ruckman, or half back flanker.
images

I like the 7-8-7 team balance, with 7-8 talls. Shep plays as 3rd tall back if fit, otherwise bring in Schoey. Ollen is the forward third tall ie. LeCras’ replacement, he just has an innate goal sense and is a competitive beast.

Should things go well for us in terms of form & injury, it could be a straight swap of Masten for Gaff in rd 3. Love Masto and thought his last JLT was pretty good, but I like the team balance as it is and can’t see another spot for him outside the midfield.

Yikes we have a very young FWD.

Darling Is oldest

Then rest is second year players. Concerning wouldn't be surprised if we drop a couple early regardless how good of potential they are its still young.

Yikes we have a very young FWD.

Darling Is oldest

Then rest is second year players. Concerning wouldn't be surprised if we drop a couple early regardless how good of potential they are its still young.
Most of them are premiership players.:cool:

Yep Cripps replaces Petruccelle in Rd 2.

Gaff replaces Masten in Round 3.
Masten will of played his last West Coast game in RD 2. As the year goes on Ainsworth, H Brayshaw, Matty Allen and Josh Smith will go ahead of him. Also too i say this as we have to fit Tim Kelly into the team next year. Masten can go to GWS or GC and finish his career.

Oh it was also good to see Oscar Allen and Jarrod Brander go past Jake Waterman. Hopefully his brother Alec will find himself back on the list after Claremont wins the flag in 2019. Alec is the better Waterman. He can kick a ball unlike Jake.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back