Preview How will we line up in R1 v Brisbane Lions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Any idea how long Rioli is out for? Hope it isnt a serious foot injury and it is just them being cautious flying him over on a hard deck.

Simpson said they’re waiting for scans

Foot injuries seem to be a growing problem across the league and they rarely heal quickly. Hope I’m wrong but I’d be surprised if he’s out for less than a month

Any spots in any DT comps left.
Only in one comp but want to spread my wings.
This is the most used thread atm hence why I post here.

And we will line up well and fine.

Simpson said they’re waiting for scans

Foot injuries seem to be a growing problem across the league and they rarely heal quickly. Hope I’m wrong but I’d be surprised if he’s out for less than a month

Hmm, but it does seem Optus is playing a role at West Coast and Freo.

That's Yeo, Rioli, JK, Cripps and Barass with some sort of foot or toe injury over the preseason. It's not great reading.

Bloody hell - I had a bad feeling Rioli would get injured this preseason (thought it would be AFLX) and his work at getting ripped would all be in vain.

He’s gonna go back to being Big Willie :'(

Did you see Simmo's presser on the Vardy Q though? It was a big ol' dodge, duck, dive and weave. Poetry in motion.

I didn't, but if anyone was under a cloud I'd expect us to take a second emergency over. Especially since there's no WAFL on this weekend (other than a scratchie).

But... if Vardy is also out then Allen has been training as back up ruck and Brander may float forward. Maybe AhChee might come in as a forward? He hasn't been sighted all pre-season though.
Where has he been and why? The mysterious disappearance of Brendon AhChee?
AhChee the one-man Bermuda Triangle?
I guess all questions, suspicions and doubts will be answered soon enough?

And that stadium with the hard deck is getting a bad rep - a few players have mentioned it now!
What has to be done-resurface the whole thing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well no, we don't actually play games in the off-season.

We do however train during the pre-season, sometimes at Optus, like this past Sunday.

I dont buy the Optus foot argument, it was around early doors at Docklands, fell out of use as an excuse.
We need Fox to get Jako to do a penetrometer* reading before each game, even get it sponsored, even Tony Greig style with a key.

* https://justracing.com.au/the-penetrometer-explained/

Last edited:
Dont mind that we are playing so many kids, but with Cripps and rioli out, LeCras retired and Oscar Allen holding down center half forward this week, do we have a role for Brander? He has been named, but on team balance we seem a bit top heavy

Rioli out is deflating.

But I have faith in Ryan, Venables and Petruccelle to get the job done at Jack's feet with Oscar and Vards keeping the inevitable Darling double/triple team honest.

We look tall on paper but Allen/Waterman/Brander dont play like talls when the ball hits the deck.

Have to back in the youth! It worked for us last year!

Dont mind that we are playing so many kids, but with Cripps and rioli out, LeCras retired and Oscar Allen holding down center half forward this week, do we have a role for Brander? He has been named, but on team balance we seem a bit top heavy

he played across half back and even on the wing during the JLT so who knows what they're planning

Rioli out is deflating.

But I have faith in Ryan, Venables and Petruccelle to get the job done at Jack's feet with Oscar and Vards keeping the inevitable Darling double/triple team honest.

We look tall on paper but Allen/Waterman/Brander dont play like talls when the ball hits the deck.

Have to back in the youth! It worked for us last year!

Good lord we are doomed. Only proven goal kicker bar darling is Ryan but he’s still learning to be accurate.

Wce by less then 6 points going to be a real scrapper this.

I think wce have a younger less expirence fwd line than Brisbane...

Last edited:
Why didn't we bring in Watson? Would slot perfectly into our forward line based on what Gary Lyon has been saying.

Last edited:
We'll need a few goals from our mids to win this. It's good that we have another young team to compete against first up. Our Mids and Defence should shade them, so as long as our forwards take opportunities we will be fine.

It's interesting how so many of us focused on the club needing to rebuild the midfield (myself included) and were dismayed when they recruited a bunch of forwards in 2017. This game shows that they knew what they were doing, without the good young talent coming through we would be dropping down to freo levels of scoring for a few years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back