How would former great players go in the modern game?

Remove this Banner Ad

images
View attachment 436829

Things haven't changed that much.

I'd like to nominate this for facepalm of the year.

I actually took this thread seriously for a bit until I re-read the bit about Dunstall "could not apply defensive pressure if their lives depended on it" - are you ******* joking? You've totally shown yourself up here - Dunstall set the standard for forward defensive pressure in the late 80s, early 90s. Do your research before coming out with shite like that.

You complain about that right after seconding the notion that SOS is one of the most overrated players of all time. What a fortunate time to switch on your critical thinking cap.

He was a superstar, you don't have to convince me, I saw him rip sides apart when I was a kid.

However, he was slow by rover standards even back in those days and he would get completely torched now, even when resting up forward.

Have you seen the size of his thighs? The nearest physical type to him that I have seen since he retired was David Calthorpe and footy ended up going past him quickly as well. A teenage Matthews would struggle to get on to a TAC roster in 2017.

Leigh Matthews would be a country footballing legend in this day and age.
So did I week in week out. He was quick and had great agility sideways movement in traffic. He certainly wasn't slow

Tbh Rance gets away with a lot of holds these days. Just depends how you do it. Rance still a great player and no reason Silvagni wouldn’t be either.

Silvagni once kicked 8 goals against West Coast, who had the best defence in the comp. He was a very talented footballer

Silvagni's main flaw is that there weren't two of him, one to play FF while the other plays FB.

200 goals while being the premier FB in a golden age of FFs...amazing player.

He was a superstar, you don't have to convince me, I saw him rip sides apart when I was a kid.

However, he was slow by rover standards even back in those days and he would get completely torched now, even when resting up forward.

Have you seen the size of his thighs? The nearest physical type to him that I have seen since he retired was David Calthorpe and footy ended up going past him quickly as well. A teenage Matthews would struggle to get on to a TAC roster in 2017.

Leigh Matthews would be a country footballing legend in this day and age.
Nah. At worst, Matthews would be a Paul Chapman style midfielder/flanker - canny in front of goal, knew how to rack it up, a little nugget of core strength.

I do agree that midfielders of yesteryear would struggle more than any other position. It's a very different game through there, far less space, more tackling pressure, greater requirement to be a two-way footballer and be aware of what your opponent was doing.

Kevin Bartlett could not play the way he did in modern footy.

Unless you put jako on him

He wouldn't be playing on Jakovich.

Carey would play as a Big Midfielder these days, and Jakovich would play in the WAFL where slow one dimensional types belong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some harsh comments on Dunstall. I think he would excel in today’s game, just like he did in the 80s and 90s. He wouldn’t kick a tonne every year but would be good for 40 to 60 without a doubt. Exceptionally explosive off the mark and very strong. Great players of the past would find a way to be relevant in the present.

The closest comparison to Carey now would be Fyfe.

Except add elite footskills to the package.

I happen to think a lot of past gens would survive no worries. Any nit wit can be taught to improve their tank. But most of the greats from past eras I think were actual "footballers". In that they had game sense, nous and could read the play, to me fewer and fewer players have this ability basically because the annual AFL show called the combine. It still boggles my mind that with all the $$$ spent by clubs a bloke like Sam Mitchell had to fight like he did, and many many others.

People are forgetting just how quick Dunstall was. He would just be a much better version of Danger when he goes forward and would be probably be kicking around the 80 goal mark.
I think SOS would find it pretty easy to adjust considering he would only have about 2 one on ones a game instead of 20.
Rucks of the past would find it the hardest simply because of size
Dunstall was also super-smart on the field and was one of the few FFs of his era that would really chase defenders and provide defensive pressure.
He would definitely be a gun today if he played.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back