How would on field zoning likely work?

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Heard Rohan Connolly talking about how it might be worth trialing zoning in the NAB Cup to reduce congestion around the ball so ignoring the fact that this is very controversial and a lot of people disagree with it (honestly I am not sure) I thought we could discuss here the practical implications of a zone, how it would be implemented, how it would be enforced and how it would change the game both on field and off field?

So for instance would it be a 6-6-6 thing where there are 6 people in the forward line, 6 in the midfield and 6 in defence before every stoppage? If so how would the umpires make sure of that as it sounds like it would be difficult to make sure all 36 players are in their correct zones before bouncing the ball and could slow the game up a lot waiting for everyone to get into their correct positions.

Also would it work, as I think with fit players these days it would not be hard for a defender to run 100m as soon as a ball is bounced to get 70 metres from their teams goal so they can prevent the opposition from getting the ball out of their defence though if there is another stoppage 20 seconds later does that mean the defender has to run all the way back to his own defence?

Sorry for the rambling but I am genuinely interested to hear what people think in regards to how zoning would actually work on the field and would it change the game in a way the AFL and the fans want, making the sport more attacking? Would it bring back the 100 goal forward or allow less athletic players to have a chance, or would it be the opposite and only super athletic players will ever get a chance?

Lines. That would keep the cokeheads busy.

Other than that there is no greater way unless you use the 50M arcs which would make for crowding anyway. The other issue is we ask our umpires to guess what the rule of the day is now we want them to learn to count?

I wouldn't mind a rule saying each team must have a player in each 50m zone at all times, but full on zoning would make the game a bit boring I think.

Any zoning is a terrible, terrible idea. We have a great game as is.

If the AFL were stupid enough to implement zoning the only way it could be done is each team must have a certain amount of players inside their 50m line at each stoppage.

There's a few ways you can do it (kick ins using the forward 50 arcs as zones) but the simplest idea is that x amount of players cannot leave their forward/defensive half.

I think we will just get used to the fact that football has now matured tactically and scores will drop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the AFL want to reduce congestion they should talk to the coaches of teams that still encourage it.

WAFL colts has a rule where each team has to have at least two players behind the halfway line at each ball up. It's monitored by the off-field umpire I believe.

Id like to see it trialled in the pre season comp just to see how it goes, very doubtful id want it in the actual thing but just having a trial in a mickey mouse comp isnt going to hurt anything

Would probably make zero difference. They dont literally have all 36 players on ball even in the most crowded stoppages. Enforcing some of those players who would be standing 20 meters back to now do that 50+ meters back isnt going to do anything.

What would the zones actually achieve apart from enforcing a structural reset every stoppage? Tactically coaches would still work to congest the opposition 50, but instead of it being around the ball, it would just take place near the seams of the defensive and middle zone (assuming it was based on current field markings).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back