How would you do it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sly77

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2001
Vic - Qld - Vic - yep peoples I'm back!
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Ok so this place is lacking decent general convo - so here's my FIRST attempt to get some convo going.

Question - would/did you have a traditional "white wedding", and if you're married and did it "by the book" so to speak, would you do it that way again? And guys, more importantly, do you actually care how your wedding turns out?????????

As for myself, I doubt I'll marry, however, I'm not rulling it totally out (who knows tomorrow I may literally trip over the dead set perfect guy for me - but I'm not holding my breath nonetheless ;) )

However, if I do tie the knot - it wont be traditionally.

I cant stand those silly dresses which are sooooo 80's and useless after the event, and the hairdoe's YUCK. I'm not saying I'd have it jeans and shirt style - that's just not me - it would still be classy.

And although I think old churches are some of the most beautiful buildings around - I think I'd prefer to be down the river under a gum tree somewhere, or in a cute little courtyard.

As for guests - only the CLOSEST people whom I have direct and constant contact with. I dont understand why just b/c we share the same grandmother someone has to see my wedding if I havent seen them in 10 years. If I'm going to commit myself to a guy, small, private and intimate is how I'd want it. - its no one elses business.

Actually someone once said to me - after going through a huge white wedding that they wished they'd just paid for their parents, grandparents and a couple of close friends to go up to an island for the weekend and get married there.....cheaper, less hassles, and more satisfying....I don't think she's far off the mark!

So tell me............

OK, since you asked.............

I don't really have any intention of getting married. I wanted to when I was younger, but in hindsight what I really wanted was the big day and the pretty dress. I had a chance in my early 20's, and I'm so glad now that I didn't do it. Generally most of my friends who married then are now divorced.

I don't rule it out completely though, who knows what would happen if the elusive "Mr Right" came along? But even then, I don't think I'd go the whole big thing. My plan is to take the money I (or dad!) would otherwise have spent feeding a heap of people for a couple of hours, and buy plane tickets to Tuscany.

As far as I'm concerned, the day is for me and him. I don't need a lot of people standing there to "witness" my vow to love and honour and cherish him till death do us part. As long as he knows that's all that would matter.

So, yeah if I ever did decide to do it, I'd definitely elope. I'd have a casual barbecue when I got back and invite everyone I love to celebrate with us.

i dunno...
i htink i'd prefer somehting a lil different form the usual white weding..mayeb a pink one... or blue :D
lol... nuh i dunno... i'm not really the traditional type
but i would want lotsa guests!

Good topic Sly :D

OK, I have a weird situation when it comes to marriage.

I come from one of those tradition, catholic families so even though I am still 18, by the time I reach 25 the pressure will be on for me to get married. Thing is, I dont want to. At least not for a long long time. That may change, depends on circumstances. Who knows, the girl i am with now may turn out to be the one, in which case I'd be a very lucky man. To be honest, If I get married sooner rather than later I don't mind, because if it happens i know i will make the right choice on the matter.

As for what the wedding would be like, who knows? If its a white wedding, I don't really care. If it's a Las Vegas one, I don't care. Marriage is marriage, i don't really see why such a big deal should be made over it, but if wearing black tie makes other people happy, I'll do it.

I've been out with a few girls I've liked in my time and to be honest had visions of all kinds of marriages. I'm raised a catholic so they have a firm view on how these things should take place. I once went with a Japanese girl and thought If I married her I'd have a garden wedding in traditional Japanese ceremony. My mum being a Pauline Hansonite would have had a fit :D .

Anyhow, I married in 94 and had the complete catholic wedding and I have to say that I just had the most fantastic day of my life. My wife actually got under the weather and I had to drive after the event :mad: . By the way we went to see the Phantom of the Opera after the wedding in our wedding gear :D .

I could have married earlier but I just didn't feel right with the others. Somehoe I just knew when the time was right so I don't think you can just rule it out. Nature has a way of telling you if you have the right person you just have to a) listen for the signs and b) when you here them don't jump in too quick.

What do I say now 8 years later?

I'd do it again tomorrow. :)

Are you looking for a male's point of view Sly, well here it is,

the wedding date was set for December 1984, the things I had an imput to were the date, (I wanted one I could remember, lol), the guest list, that is I listed those from my side I wanted to invite, and the location of the wedding.
We both wanted a nice church wedding, which on reflection was really just to keep the parents happy, anyway, if you know the Glenelg, SA area, you'd know of an old church called St Peters Cathedral, very big, very old, very traditional, huge stained glass leadlight windows, very long aisle.
I very much wanted to get married in THAT church, coz I figured it would look magnificient in the wedding photos, and it did.

Robyn, my wife, did all of the rest, it was her day after all.

Never ever forget this, wedding days are for the bride, it is her day to show off, the guy is just supposed to look like he can earn lots of money, apart from that the guy is in the background.

So 17 years later, still married, and still in love

Who says marriages cannot work?

Cross that bridge when we come to it - it's only a hypothetical at this stage anyway:(.
Wouldn't worry me too much either way at this stage. If "Ms Wonderful" comes along and has her heart set on something I'm happy to go along with what she wants. If she doesn't mind either, we'd discuss it and work it out then.
If it ever happens, it's her big day in the sun more than mine, so I'd be happy to go along with her wishes.

Originally posted by Asgardian
We both wanted a nice church wedding, which on reflection was really just to keep the parents happy, anyway, if you know the Glenelg, SA area, you'd know of an old church called St Peters Cathedral, very big, very old, very traditional, huge stained glass leadlight windows, very long aisle.
Is that the one next to Adelaide Oval? Never been inside it, but it looks great from the outside on telly.

well,i intend to marry,not in the big traditional way though,just family and close friends is all i need,all the rest is just unescissary in my opinion

Originally posted by Cheeky68
Not Married- and besides divorce costs more than getting married these days. I've been in a relationship with the same guy for 12 years and are happy the way we are.

I know, divorce has cost me heaps, :mad:

My first wedding I went the big Hippie trip, pixie dress, flowers in the hair, totally non conformist, even though it was in a church, but it was a really old gothic church which is why I agreed to it.

White wedding, nice church, nice reception centre, 100 guests, best day of my life.

Sometimes traditions are there because they're so good.

I knew my place in the pecking order though:
1.Bride
2.Bride's mum
3.My Mum
4.Me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I got married, I went for the full-on traditional thing. I wore the ballgown wedding dress (ivory, not white!), had 3 bridesmaids, married in a Catholic Church, had 130 guests (including some I didn't know or didn't like) at a beautiful reception centre (actually a well-known hotel). So, overall spent a great deal of money (had a photographer and videographer, and hired cars, etc, etc.). BUT it was one of the best days of my life. I had a blast! It was just one big party and I got to be a princess for a day.

After saying all that though, whilst I'm glad I did it that way, obviously now I have regrets because it was a huge waste of money in hindsight, as it has not worked out. But I guess I wasn't to know that at the time. You live and learn...

Next time (if there is a next time - right now, I'm thinking "never again!") I will probably go away to Bali or something like that with close family and friends and get married by the beach, or just go to a garden somewhere. Wherever it is, it will definitely be small and intimate and I won't be wearing a traditional wedding dress - something classy, but sexy is in order I think!

After years off watching the WWF, I've decided I want to get married in a wrestling ring. They do it all the time on TV so why not?

well so far ive managed to get out of the formal at high school, deb ball thingy (ditched that for the Copeland instead hehe) the year 12 graduation, gotten out of havin an 18th now to just get outta the 21st and hopefully a wedding ew! At this rate they may even let me off on a funeral :D

...remember the wedding at the last game at Vic Park ahahah!

I cant say I have really thought about it heaps.

I am not entirely sure. I have always thought maybe a wedding on the beach, would make for a good occation, and not too many guests. I dont see the need for me to invite everyone under the sun. My wedding would be the share of love between me and my partner. I would want my closest friends and my family, but other than that, I dont see the need to make it too big.

I will probably never get married anyway, because nobody will want me, so there is no need for me to have unrealistic fantasies. :(

Ha, read the topic and thought this could get interesting!!

But anyway, I don't know. I guess for my parents sake and everyone else who would want to be there I would have it in a church and stuff, like normal. But I also am interested in having it on a tropical beach somewhere, with just the 2 of us, and a preisty guy.

Probably just go with the normal way I guess!

I can see myself getting married on a beach or in a garden somewhere, by a celebrant, unless the hubby-to-be was a religious bloke. Nice, simple, probably strapless below-the-knee sorta dress, hubby in pants and shirt, family and close friends, flowergirl in a little fairy dress (too cute, can't help myself, just hope there's a little kid handy) simple flowers, etc. As you can see, I haven't given this much thought.;)

Well my mum is getting married tomorrow and it's in our backyard (no fuss wedding) with not that many guests, just close friends and not a full white wedding. I myself have never really wanted a huge traditional one...just a small one with close friends...as long as I was with the guy I'm marrying then it doesn't really matter to me.
After seeing what my mum has been doing, in terms of planning hers it has made me think that I like the way she is doing it but I'd rather have a cute little tropical one on a beach! lol...too bad if no one would like it because it would be OUR day and if the guy wanted that too then yay! :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back