Vic How would you rate Daniel Andrews' performance as Victorian Premier? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raj is going to lose his fifth job because Melbourne's most liveable city tag is under pressure?

LOLSY.

All those other cities that Melbourne is competing with for that tag are also battling the same pandemic.
So it all cancels out.

The real issue is that the pandemic is exposing Melbourne's sordid underbelly of preggers Zoe from Ballarat collaborating with far-right extremists to organise protests.
Hate to be your brain.

4+ weeks of Stage 3 lockdown, where you can't really go anywhere, or stay for long periods of time, yet cases have still risen.

1. Are sections of the community not following restrictions? or
2. Once the virus is within a area in significant numbers (VIC, NSW) the spread is simply inevitable.

Most likely 2 and for one major reason. Hospitals and nursing homes become petri dishes. Think of all the people who work there then not only spread it to non covid patients but spread it to others on public transport and at home. Even non patient facing staff like hospital porters are very likely to catch and spread the virus.

Its one reason why lockdowns really arent that effective.

So we are left with two options

a) is Dopey Dan and his academic advisors too thick to work that out
b) they dont care because they have no skin in the game and place virus deaths above other deaths and the economy?

It's actually not a bad thing to see the other side of the stage 4 coin, usually these are discussions between people that get paid either way. Lawn mowing isn't an essential service but fu** it's essential job for the families of those subbies.

Good to see someone gets it!!

Start cutting public servant salaries and see what happens to support for house arrest.

Answers by Mikakos to questions in parliament yesterday.
Spolier: she says she cant answer the questions due to the Judge Coate inquiry.
Spoiler: Judge Coate disagrees with that assertion.

I’m ropable. Mikakos can still take home her $4k a week. While tonight, I have been forced to close my 18 year old business for at least the next 6 weeks. I and my employees will be moving onto jobkeeper and getting $750 per week. And she won’t answer any questions about why we’re in this situation right now. Politicians can get ****ed

Modelling leaked to the Australian saying the vic government thinks we'll peak in mid August with 1100 cases a day, will be 300 when stage 4 expires and late October before we get to low double digits.
That’s potentially a good sign, because if it’s as accurate as their other modelling, it’s likely to be way off the mark!

Modelling leaked to the Australian saying the vic government thinks we'll peak in mid August with 1100 cases a day, will be 300 when stage 4 expires and late October before we get to low double digits.

I hope that's not true.

Stage 4 for 3 months perhaps or do we need to start preparing for the idea of simply never getting this under control.

When we get it under control, do we have the nous to be responsible for keeping it under control, whatever that means ... NO

Useless flog du jour.

Miles has a PhD and Bachelor of Political Science and Journalism from the University of Queensland.[2] Miles' PhD thesis was on Union Renewal

Miles can barely string a sentence together.

"In that week we've had nine cases here in Queensland... those cases have placed an enormous burden on our health system.

Worked well for ScoMo when he was immigration minister..

From 300 boats a year to 1.
From 1,800 deaths at sea during Rudd and Gillard's time to 0.

What a disaster.

How many deaths will the Dan Andrews government have caused both directly from covid 19 and indirectly from suicide and domestic violence?

No wonder they hide behind an inquiry. And no wonder you lot try to distract with whataboutisms.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a disaster.

How many deaths will the Dan Andrews government have caused both directly from covid 19 and indirectly from suicide and domestic violence?

No wonder they hide behind an inquiry. And no wonder you lot try to distract with whataboutisms.
Thanks Steve Price. What about aged care which is under Federal? Similar thoughts there I assume?

I think its been mentioned numerous times in this thread, but its worth repeating, Australia (like many countries who had the opportunity) failed to eliminate the virus early when it was very achieveable. That failure is ultimately a failure of the Federal government.

And before everyone baying for Daniel Andrews blood begins furiously airing their untapped anguish, yes, I recognise that the Andrews government has made critical mistakes. Which he'll likely pay for with his political career, and Labor by association will suffer both state and federally as a result of this crisis. BUT...had the federal government made it their policy from the beginning to eliminate the virus and strictly oversaw a hard national lockdown from the beginning, deploying as many federal resources to the states, we surely could have eliminated the virus like New Zealand.

Unfortunately, we have a 'leader' in Morrison who is simply not one and never will be. The fact that he flew to Hawaii during the worst bushfires Australia's has perhaps ever endured is manifest evidence of that. With Covid-19, I think overall he did a reasonable job early enough, but his government was too willing to allow the states to tackle the virus, so Australia has never really had a unified response. He is far too inclined to have a hands-off approach. Again, this is all with benefit of hindsight (and Australia is far from alone) but the temptation in getting things back to 'normal' as soon as possible and 'flattening the curve' will ultimately prove flawed messaging and policy, because it is volatile and ultimately untenable. For some countries elimination was not possible but for Australia it was, and still is, albiet much more difficult to acheive now.

Clear messaging for an elimination strategy would provide a very clear outcome, which is what the 'flattening the curve' strategy lacks entirely. Even now in Lockdown 2.0, I suspect that people's intransigence is because there's a tacit understanding that we will be living with the virus, whether in lockdown or not. Which makes people question the whole exercise to begin with. Even in lockdown 1.0 in Vic, it now seems incredibly naive to think we reopen (even gradually) without extinguishing the virus and that it would just dissipate with our gradual reopening and people exercising common sense and social distancing. The hotel quarantine fiasco has accelerated and magnified how anything but a policy of elimination is flawed. You're either trending up or down with the virus, there is never an acceptable contained level. The lack of federal messaging on this permeates to the state level. But we have the really untenable situation where 6 states have almost all but eliminated the virus, one is on the precipice of a second wave and Vic has deep and untraced community transmission (not to mention aged care). It is useless to have only 6 of 8 states eliminate the virus, which is why a clear national response from the beginning is/was so critical.

TL;DR - if we ever want to exit the lockdown and if Australia does not want the next 18 months to be riddled with border closures and court challenges, Andrews should clearly message now that the policy is elimination and that messaging should be backed loudly by the PM (of course, this wont happen - and there's many reasons). Without that goal clearly communicated, I believe many Victorians will not (and its clear many already do not) respect these measures because they think Lockdown 3.0 is inevitable at some point down the road. And it surely is unless Vic eliminates the virus.

Again, its really not a difficult choice when you think about and stop brooding about past mistakes and lost time. Elimination of the virus will save lives and industries, and the cost of achieving it will be far less than enduring an indefinite period of spikes, hotspots, quarantines, border closures, minimum capacity venues and most importantly health systems and aged care facilities always teetering on the brink of disaster.

Forget the noise, throw the kitchen sink at eliminating the virus.

Last edited:

What a disaster.

Good chance, Dan is going to have more blood on his hands than Rudd and co by the time this is finished.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good to see someone gets it!!

Start cutting public servant salaries and see what happens to support for house arrest.

The amount of money that is being wasted by the government on these staggered and farcical lockdown measures is ginormous. But the government is not paying for it actually. The taxpayer is paying for it. Our children are paying for it. Brett Sutton and Van Dieman are getting paid 100% of their salary regardless of their incompetence meanwhile most individuals who are staying home have already been severely impacted financially.

For some reason dumbo Dr Sutton thinks it’s okay for POSITIVE cases to walk amongst society under the guise of exercise but NEGATIVE cases must hotel quarantine if they happen to come from overseas.

If Dumbo Sutton had any balls he would have ordered the whole cedar meats and all subsequent minor clusters to be put into hotel quarantine detention under ADF supervision to ensure there was no further community transmission. Such a simple option which has not even been looked at and now can’t be looked at apparently because dumbo Sutton allowed the numbers to get so large.

Seriously, any POSITIVE case who is found not to be home on any single occasion should immediately be locked up in hotel quarantine at their own expense.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m ropable. Mikakos can still take home her $4k a week. While tonight, I have been forced to close my 18 year old business for at least the next 6 weeks. I and my employees will be moving onto jobkeeper and getting $750 per week. And she won’t answer any questions about why we’re in this situation right now. Politicians can get f’ed

If Labor gets in next election after this has affected 100% of Victorians I will be flabbergasted. So many non-partisans have lost jobs, businesses and careers because of this. Dan should have sacked Dumbo Sutton and immediately brought in someone externally from another state who had got it right.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thanks Steve Price. What about aged care which is under Federal? Similar thoughts there I assume?

Not all aged care is.

But why is aged care in every other state okay? If it were a Federal problem wouldnt it be a problem everywhere ?

Again with the whataboutisms.

And back down to 1.6% today. Thursday and Sunday were announcements on restrictions
Tue 28 Jul35318,5211.91 %
Wed 29 Jul25518,0771.41 %
Thu 30 Jul69419,9213.48 %
Fri 31 Jul57933,8261.71 %
Sat 1 Aug35425,5011.39 %
Sun 2 Aug62619,0943.28 %
Mon 3 Aug38023,9061.59 %
Back up to about 3% yesterday the day prior to the implementation of full Stage 4 restrictions.

No matter what the reason, hopefully we go down sharply in all numbers from here!

I’m ropable. Mikakos can still take home her $4k a week. While tonight, I have been forced to close my 18 year old business for at least the next 6 weeks. I and my employees will be moving onto jobkeeper and getting $750 per week. And she won’t answer any questions about why we’re in this situation right now. Politicians can get f’ed
Looking at the people liking this post (in solidarity), not seeing any of the Dan Andrews sycophants - interesting

Not all aged care is.

But why is aged care in every other state okay? If it were a Federal problem wouldnt it be a problem everywhere ?

Again with the whataboutisms.
Fwiw in terms of Covid you're right.

But aged care in every other sense of the word is not ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back