Vic How would you rate Daniel Andrews' performance as Victorian Premier? - Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The anti trolling bill will 100% be used by someone abusive trying to track down someone who has left.

Anonymity online is important for lots of legit reasons

Its also a good way to silence anyone with a HR policy around public posting
Will be great for rich people defamation and silencing whistleblowers

Government wont care about the collateral damage and women and kids being put un danger of more DV to be able to go after whoever they want

I don't know anything about shutting Twitter? WTF. Where have I said anything about that? My interest is in online bullying, and as the PM said,

"In a free society such as Australia where we value our free speech, it is only free when that is balanced with the responsibility for what you say. Free speech is not being allowed to cowardly hide in your basement and sledge and slur and harass people anonymously and seek to destroy their lives."

By saying you don't agree with trolls being "unmasked" (and I hate to adopt the tactic of a certain poster) , are you saying its okay for a troll to bully someone to the point that person commits suicide?
Because homie, this has nothing to do with unmasking of trolls or stopping trolls from bullying somebody to the point of committing suicide. Severe instances of trolling people to the point of committing suicide are already a crime under the category of stalking and intimidation and it is my understanding (happy to be corrected if wrong) that third party websites are required to co-operate in criminal investigations. But this law is not about criminal investigations, it's about civil lawsuits.

Let's consider that the average person who encounters bullying online will likely not have the financial capacity to lawyer up on a whim and many will not have a public image or personal reputation significant enough to warrant any large damage claim. Whether you're bullied online under your own name and details or a pseudonym, I think we can all agree that it's a pretty s**t feeling, no? Sad thing is this law isn't going to do s**t for you. It might even escalate issues that otherwise weren't there, like what if you cross a particularly deranged lefty on BigFooty (sad to say there are a few lefitiste nuffies on this board) and they end up legally getting your details from Chief? Surely you agree that this would be kinda ****ed?

So if you want to know who this law has really been written for, ask yourself who has a lot of money and who has a significant reputation?

Christopher Buttersnip

Beware of the Drop Bears
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
The Prof hits the mark.

Somyurak is a vengeful ne'er-do-well who is about as trustworthy as Scummo. Yet the medya give the creep air time.

xzw6Pfx.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
It's not going to bother you, so don't worry about it. I'm just pondering out loud.
I mean if people are killing themselves over a mysterious thing you can't explain, I'm probably not going to be able to be bothered am I? The only clue I have is the Premier is somehow responsible.

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
I'm not surprised at all.
If he is, don't know?

All I know is if it's happening, it's happening right now.
Mate you're saying people are going to kill themselves over something but can't tell me what it is. This is pretty unhinged. If it's related to having legislation relating to pandemic powers instead of the current ad hoc stuff happening over the nation then I think you're in need of serious help.

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
No need to get over the top about things.

Gee whiz.

Getting all "Brett Sutton" about this.
People might kill themselves but you can't put your conspiracy youtube video concerns into coherent sentences. Seems like you might be overreacting to not being allowed to enter pubs mate.

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Well, we're not going to find out for 2 years.

Which is good for a lot of people as it's convenient. We'd have "moved on" by then.
But why would people kill themselves? Can you make even one sentence to explain yourself?

"oh no, we now have legislation to underpin health orders in the case of a pandemic, having legislation rather than temporary health regs makes life not worth living!"

Is that how it goes? Is this one of those red flag upside down situations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back