Vic How would you rate Daniel Andrews' performance as Victorian Premier? - Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Rob R

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
They'll make profit out of it obviously, hopefully through efficiencies.

Just need to ensure no price gouging. They privatised the Titles office which was a disaster in NSW due to gouging. Vic ensured price increases were capped.
Efficiencies in govt speak means less wages for staff, higher cost to customers and no actual savings for govt just a change in the way the expenditure is reported. There were big savings when they outsourced the massively over staffed govt services in the 90s but those savings don't exist any more as the only bloated parts of the APS are the bureaucrats in Canberra and State dept hq who only ever grow.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

tandino

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2007
Showers Stand
AFL Club
Essendon
You cut workers and make those left pick up the extra work without a pay increase
You then continue with this model permanently for profit.
So it's not really wage theft is it.

There's no doubt that the not-a-privatisation will work the workers harder. There are probably efficiencies to be found, its just perplexing that the government can't find them.

Gralin

Super Moderator
Apr 8, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills
More work for the same money is exactly that
There's no doubt that the not-a-privatisation will work the workers harder. There are probably efficiencies to be found, its just perplexing that the government can't find them.
It's bullshit it's going to cost us more

CM86

Anindilyakwa
Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
FWtfGgdaMAEVsHl

Words fail me.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks

It’s about bringing the mainframes up to date. It has been tried but private industry took the money but the govt was left with the failure. This time the govt wants private industry to share the risk.

Dave

Premium Platinum
Feb 8, 2000
Windy Hill
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
You cut workers and make those left pick up the extra work without a pay increase
You then continue with this model permanently for profit.

Which works if the workers don't have a choice of employer.

Where I sued to work they made a bunch of people redundant (me included). Afterwards they asked one of the people who was left to do the work
one of the people who'd been made redundant did. He said no, if you made him redundant you can't have need the work done.

I know in my role I'd refuse, but then I'm fortunate to have options when it comes to employment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
We need a relevant opposition in Victoria. I'm starting to think it could only come from the left of the ALP?

The Libertarians have cooked themselves throughout the pandemic, just being libertarians.

The Nats barely exist because they are essentially a one-policy (pro-rural conservatives) who are perennially in coalition with the Liberals.

The Greens don't have a lot to complain about at the State Level so they attach themselves to vote-losing enterprises such as banning horse racing and in most other areas only marginally vary from existing ALP policies.

The Liberals are fighting 1960's battles and have been completely overtaken by religious extremists.

Where does the most effective opposition come from so that the Andrews Government doesn't continue to act with seeming impunity. What will change after the next electoral rout so that there is at least the appearance of accountability?

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Who gets the bullet first - David Noble or Matthew Guy?
There's nobody within the Libs to replace Guy. There are heaps of people to replace Noble.

Maybe Darren Chester for next Vic Premier in a Nationals-led coalition...

Pie eyed

Premium Platinum
Jun 26, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Magpies
What constitutes a large proportion? Where is the data to back this up?
I made a personal observation.
I would say a large proportion would be 30%.
Most most that 30% were/are either extremely poor in the performance of their duty or criminal in their behavior and/or the neglect of their duty.
A few were simply incompetent and did not last long, moving to security, private investigation for insurance companies etc.

fs88

Club Legend
Nov 3, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
We need a relevant opposition in Victoria. I'm starting to think it could only come from the left of the ALP?

The Libertarians have cooked themselves throughout the pandemic, just being libertarians.

The Nats barely exist because they are essentially a one-policy (pro-rural conservatives) who are perennially in coalition with the Liberals.

The Greens don't have a lot to complain about at the State Level so they attach themselves to vote-losing enterprises such as banning horse racing and in most other areas only marginally vary from existing ALP policies.

The Liberals are fighting 1960's battles and have been completely overtaken by religious extremists.

Where does the most effective opposition come from so that the Andrews Government doesn't continue to act with seeming impunity. What will change after the next electoral rout so that there is at least the appearance of accountability?
have a scroll at this list and see how grim it is lol.. none of this gives me hope.. 99% old or corrupt or nobody Caucasians.

Agree we need a genuine opposition fast or else we will see many more ridiculous decisions go unopposed (privatising VicRoads, West Gate Tunnel etc)

Kwality

Hall of Famer
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
It’s about bringing the mainframes up to date. It has been tried but private industry took the money but the govt was left with the failure. This time the govt wants private industry to share the risk.
See the Vic taxpayer retained an interest in the privatisation of a bit of VicRoads - with the 'millionaires factory (Macquarie) winning the deal, is that a plus for road users .... :fire:

'Macquarie Asset Management and its backers fended off competition to buy the bulk of VicRoads last week with not just the best business plan but the highest price.
The $7.9bn outlayed by Macquarie Asset Management, Aware Super and the Australian Retirement Trust was more than expected in an environment with higher funding costs, but in line with the earnings multiples paid for land registry assets.'

'The auction was highly competitive with respect to the three groups in the running. But given that the state government will retain a 19 per cent holding, whether the party bidding was the best candidate to run the business was critical.'

'The state government is creating a joint venture consisting of the registration, licensing and custom plates operations of VicRoads, operated and 81 per cent-owned by the winning consortium in a 40-year concession, with the government owning the rest.'

Kwality

Hall of Famer
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

What 60s battles are the Libs fighting?

They arent even fighting amongst themselves, more like irrelevants squabbling over past glories.

Theseventhhamster

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks

Not a lot to complain for climate change stuff but there's been a inquiry and audit report pretty damning on their environment record. Problem is the mainstream media aren't going to attack Labour from the left so there's no traction for it.

tandino

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2007
Showers Stand
AFL Club
Essendon
See the Vic taxpayer retained an interest in the privatisation of a bit of VicRoads - with the 'millionaires factory (Macquarie) winning the deal, is that a plus for road users .... :fire:

'Macquarie Asset Management and its backers fended off competition to buy the bulk of VicRoads last week with not just the best business plan but the highest price.
The $7.9bn outlayed by Macquarie Asset Management, Aware Super and the Australian Retirement Trust was more than expected in an environment with higher funding costs, but in line with the earnings multiples paid for land registry assets.'

'The auction was highly competitive with respect to the three groups in the running. But given that the state government will retain a 19 per cent holding, whether the party bidding was the best candidate to run the business was critical.'

'The state government is creating a joint venture consisting of the registration, licensing and custom plates operations of VicRoads, operated and 81 per cent-owned by the winning consortium in a 40-year concession, with the government owning the rest.'

I predict they add an extra letter to the plates, add a yearly fee and let the money roll in.

Remove this Banner Ad