Vic How would you rate Daniel Andrews' performance as Victorian Premier? - Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 2, 2001
Valhalla
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
VFL Magpies
I'll always be amazed at how divisive the mask thing is. I get the argument about minimal impact on infection rates, but the actual wearing of a mask isn't any more difficult, uncomfortable or inconvenient than wearing underpants.
Wearing underpants doesn't inhibit breathing fresh air (to the best of my knowledge!).

It also doesn't stop people from going into the office, as evidenced by the return to office take up post lockdowns. This would further crash the economies of those areas adversely affected, particularly the CBD's, send many businesses to the wall, require further government debt and destroy future confidence.

The risk vs reward argument has been decided and the state governments made the correct decision. Kudos to all of them!

Nothing??

I've long highlighted the idiocy of mask mandates for the general population in most circumstances within this thread alone going back years and had arguments with you about it personally.
I'm calling into question your conclusion based on there being no evidence for it but your interpretation of a chart. This is because you have no training in this area (neither do I) so you don't know what to actually look at.

Try this: Vic - How would you rate Daniel Andrews' performance as Victorian Premier? - Part 7

Getting hand-wavy about it - "oh you just do this when you've lost" - does nothing for your argument.

kalex6251

Club Legend
Nov 12, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
The same knobs who march against these things probably venerate the sacrifices of our armed forces. Bask in the reflected ANZAC glow while they cant do one tiny thing to help their fellow man.

It's all a performance to get them noticed.
a somewhat similar observation made by my elderly mother as the pandemic was taking hold late 2020

a product of the depression/WWII, she was disgusted at the growing opposition to govt action suggesting todays generation have no idea what genuine sacrifice for others involves (she also drew unflattering comparisons with the flag waving hyper masculine uber military types that beat their chests every time anzac comes around) ..... paraphrasing her more eloquent claims, she called the sovereign citizen, anti-vax/anti-mask, anti-dan nutters a bunch of overindulged attention seeking snowflakes

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
a somewhat similar observation made by my elderly mother as the pandemic was taking hold late 2020

a product of the depression/WWII, she was disgusted at the growing opposition to govt action suggesting todays generation have no idea what genuine sacrifice for others involves (she also drew unflattering comparisons with the flag waving hyper masculine uber military types that beat their chests every time anzac comes around) ..... paraphrasing her more eloquent claims, she called the sovereign citizen, anti-vax/anti-mask, anti-dan nutters a bunch of overindulged attention seeking snowflakes

When did she log on to Twitter last?

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Think that she may know more about 'freedom' than most of us.

I have no doubt about that. I have my doubts when an elderly woman who went through WW2 is calling anti mask/ anti Dan people “nutters and snowflakes”. Let’s be honest - it was an outburst of frustration from the poster, not the mother.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Somyurek was more branch stacking than misusing electoral office staff.

Fact is 99% of voters couldn't give a rats about this type of thing as they don't really see it as corruption.
The distinction between an MPs staffer photocopying government propaganda VS party propaganda is too nuanced for them to care
Same with Morrison's pork barrelling, as long as the money is being spent somewhere on something it's no issue.

The only thing the Oz public have never tolerated is when it's for personal gain.

That's why Guy has a problem because it's not clear that the 'secret payments' are donations rather than bribes.

You have no idea of what swings votes. Have you ever thought about who you are voting for?

Floundering around whilst not understanding the difference between corruption & integrity will always see one side of politics come up trumps(sic).

The question for now is whether the Libs can run a hard hitting campaign (a la Dee Madigans job on Morrison) on Dans innocence.

paraphrasing her more eloquent claims, she called the sovereign citizen, anti-vax/anti-mask, anti-dan nutters a bunch of overindulged attention seeking snowflakes

And that's what it's about - putting on the performance over nothing and getting themselves noticed on social media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
You have no idea of what swings votes. Have you ever thought about who you are voting for?

Floundering around whilst not understanding the difference between corruption & integrity will always see one side of politics come up trumps(sic).

The question for now is whether the Libs can run a hard hitting campaign (a la Dee Madigans job on Morrison) on Dans innocence.
Who's going to run the hard hitting campaign? Matthew Guy? His Chief of Staff just quit for asking for a bribe on his behalf (even though Guy denies knowing about it).

A key plank in running an integrity campaign would be having your own integrity intact. Guy was allegedly possibly accused of being corrupt over Fishermens Bend, Phillip Island, plus asking for $100k donations off the books and meeting with mobsters.

Next thing you'll tell me the Libs are going to run on a campaign of fixing the health system, because they've got such a good record of doing that...

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
What does it matter? They do nothing in the general population.

Interesting that the heath advice is that N95 masks are the 'panacea' this time around...

View attachment 1465501
All this chart shows is that there's no strong case for the hypothesis that "only masks have any impact on changing COVID transmission rates".

You think it says "masks have no correlation at all to transmission rates". But it doesn't because it ignores far too many other factors.

There's obviously something very different between Bavaria and Germany in the first wave before masks are considered.

So basically this chart tells us nothing. By posting it, it's clear you don't know anything about statistics or its measurement.

Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
How would the late Jane Garrett had gone in a leadership challenge against Daniel Andrews after the 2016 firefighters debacle that saw her sidelined and ultimately quit the Cabinet in protest?

William Wonka

Jesus died for somebodies sins but not mine
May 28, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn

My knowledge of what swings votes comes from others.
'Hand in the till' type corruption for personal gain is nice and simple for people to understand whereas integrity and governance are yawn inducing to most
prefer it 2 lying in hospital with a tube down my throat tho. not 2 mention it's thinking of others welfare 2 which is not something everyone considers.
Intubation is almost unheard of with Omicron infections thank God.
But you are right masks are a mild annoyance at worst.
How would the late Jane Garrett had gone in a leadership challenge against Daniel Andrews after the 2016 firefighters debacle that saw her sidelined and ultimately quit the Cabinet in protest?
About as well as the Mordiallic under 19s Reserves would go against Melbourne

I have no doubt about that. I have my doubts when an elderly woman who went through WW2 is calling anti mask/ anti Dan people “nutters and snowflakes”. Let’s be honest - it was an outburst of frustration from the poster, not the mother.
I have elderly friends and I can assure you some of them would have called them worse.

Further not sure if it the words are, nutters and snowflakes that you refer to and you maybe be right in that a couple would have prefaced it with the word starting with F, 5 letters in between and ending g.

kalex6251

Club Legend
Nov 12, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
which part of "... paraphrasing her more eloquent claims ... " did you not understand?

Gotta say, the best decision that the Andrews government has ever made was taking the power off the CHO under State of Emergency declarations to the Health Minister.

Under the CHO's directive, we'd have completely shat the bed in the current wave, issuing mask mandates to the general population in most settings and been forced to work from home, further crashing sections of the economy at tremendous expense and been the only state who would have done so.

New Zealand's got indoor mask mandates and an average daily death rate higher than Victoria despite a smaller population.

This wave is passed the peak and is on the decline and the only stupid decision that's happened is the stealth mandate for kids to wear masks in schools, which was caused by virtue-signallers egotistically needing to feel like they are doing something.
Don’t think many actually complied; my kids who tend to wear masks felt pressure from other kids not masked to not wear (not direct verbal just side type glances etc$

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The same knobs who march against these things probably venerate the sacrifices of our armed forces. Bask in the reflected ANZAC glow while they cant do one tiny thing to help their fellow man.

It's all a performance to get them noticed.

The number that march on anything are 2/3 of 5/6s ... spot on: It's all a performance to get them noticed.

mighty tiges

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2002
oneeyed-richmond.com
AFL Club
Richmond
Don’t think many actually complied; my kids who tend to wear masks felt pressure from other kids not masked to not wear (not direct verbal just side type glances etc$
"Don't copy other people's bad habits" - my late mum's parental line for these situations. She would even use it when I was just copying her :laughv1: .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back